Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

THE MOST HISTORIC MOVIE YOU'VE PROBABLY NEVER SEEN.

The most overlooked movie in the pantheon of important, ground-breaking films is the 1929 production of Hell Harbor. This was the first motion picure ever shot entirely on location using modern sound technology. The story behind this historic endeavor is told in complete detail in the Pulitzer Prize nominated book; Sight, Sound, and Sunshine: Tampa, Hell Harbor, and the Making of Modern Cinema.

The cast of Hell Harbor is a who's who of up-and-coming talking film actors and actresses like Lupe Velez and Jean Hersholt, as well as silent film stars like Gibson Gowland and Al St. John. But, the behind the scenes crew is almost as impressive and interesting, including the prolific director Henry King, a prop man who was a Romanian Count, and some of Broadway's brightest minds. The city and people of Tampa, Florida also play an important part in the production, with a story-line all their own. Hell Harbor was also the first motion picture to have its premiere outside of Hollywood or New York.

This book is a must-have for anyone interested in film history. It is available wherever better books are sold, including online retailers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Why does it feel as if the OP is using the forum to advertise? Is he/she the author of said book?

I'm just happy to see a first-time poster saying something other than "I hate that TCM isn't like it used to be anymore!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

I'm just happy to see a first-time poster saying something other than "I hate that TCM isn't like it used to be anymore!"

But I thought TCM was supposed to be Commercial-Free?

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings