Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Talkin' 'bout Sharkin'

NoShear

"It's all psychological: You yell "Barracuda!", everybody goes "Huh, what?" You yell "Shark!", and we have a panic on our hands on the Fourth of July."

Fifty years ago on this coming Sunday evening, BATMAN (1966) was first broadcast on television by its birth station, abc:

batman-the-movie-shark-repellant-image.jpg

I don't think much panic ensued in the wake of that shark encounter, but ten days later "BLUE WATER, WHITE DEATH" became the CINERAMA dome's first general admission release, and the 1971 documentary likely introduced many to the existence of Carcharodon carcharias:

44175-1024x808.thumb.jpg.88e68b0f6efd3ab2d436292cf1d2e72d.jpg

Five years later, after some shakin' 'n tenderizin' from the JAWS phenomenon, down you went on the Universal Studios Tour

1976.jpg

Fifty years after release, "BLUE WATER, WHITE DEATH"'s shark legend and a contributor to JAWS (1975), Valerie Taylor, is seen above and will be seen tomorrow night:

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/topic/sharkfest

29 minutes ago, NoShear said:

"BLUE WATER, WHITE DEATH" became the CINERAMA dome's first general admission release, and the 1971 documentary likely introduced many to the existence of Carcharodon carcharias

It was one of the supreme cinematic moments for me.  I'd read a book by Thomas Helm (Shark!  an inflammatory ill-informed, even for it's time, polemic against the creatures) so I was familiar with the species.  But there's nothing like seeing a set of jaws scraping the flimsy metal tubes of a shark cage on a seventy-foot tall screen to make an impression.  Notwithstanding Ron and Valerie Taylor's, two of the great natural photographers and naturalists, involvement, the movie has an outdated prejudice against 'em.  That takes away from my continued enjoyment of the movie.

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings