Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Happy Fourth Of July

David Guercio

18 hours ago, SansFin said:

hdPfjzg.jpg

N1Y7wnj.jpg?1

EjDhr5V.png?1

South Carolina, one of poorest states in nation based on income per capita ranks number five in per capita expendituresfor fireworks.  Last night they were going off all over the neighborhood and were obviously very expensive types.   One problem I have is the liter they leave behind on streets, sidewalks and other people's yards.  Not to mention the fire threat.

3 hours ago, ElCid said:

South Carolina, one of poorest states in nation based on income per capita ranks number five in per capita expendituresfor fireworks.  Last night they were going off all over the neighborhood and were obviously very expensive types.   One problem I have is the liter they leave behind on streets, sidewalks and other people's yards.  Not to mention the fire threat.

We never set off fireworks. We live on the beach so large parties are common, it's amazing to see people that will use fireworks in the middle of a yard packed with people. Four years ago someone at neighbors party launched a bottle rocket into a group of small children at our house. That was the end of fireworks from them. The following year a neighbor on the other side set the canopy over our deck on fire, a guest sitting beneath it was burned by falling material. That was the end of fireworks from them. We still have an abundance of celebrating going on all around us and we're all for it. Our local professional display shown in the pic has been covid cancelled the past couple years. Maybe next year!

Bremerton-Bridge-Blast-Cover-2018-2000x1

4 hours ago, ElCid said:

I live in a semi rural part of northern Los Angeles County. I have had my power shut off over 20 times by Southern California Edison because of the threat of fire if there system fails again(why they shut off my power while it was raining because of "hazardous fire conditions" I will never know). Regardless, the threat of fire in these high desert hills is high and I was holding my breath all night that a neighbor's Fourth of July party would not include fireworks. It did not.

The mall near me set off fireworks Saturday night. Use to been closer before 2000, could see them just over the hill.

Before  2016 , consumer fireworks were illegal in West Virginia.

https://firemarshal.wv.gov/Documents/FAQ - FIREWORKS.pdf

Still remembered an advertisement for fireworks during the 1980's said...We now have a sale for tubes, mines and shells.

So one has to step on it before setting it off? :o:lol:

Guess one could armed the model rocket with an M80.

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 1

23 hours ago, SansFin said:

hdPfjzg.jpg

We sometimes forget that in the 18th cty., "Colony" didn't mean "Brave pioneers getting together and hoping to get enough of them to form a state", it meant mining or plantation colony, ie., "Some offshore place where you live full-time while you strip-mine the native resources."

The Pilgrims, for example, were funded by investors who wanted a share of the fishing and lumber, and nearly sank the deal when the Puritan faithful refused to work on a Sunday...And, with most of the colonies harvesting fish, tobacco, rope-hemp, pine-tar and pine lumber, George III's chief sigh looking back about losing the colonies was not his "ungrateful children" leaving the nest, but, quote, losing "A paradise of pine forests..."

(That's why we said "No taxation without representation":  We wanted representation in Parliament, but England's answer was "But you HAVE a back-bench representative who looks after all our Caribbean plantations!"  Umm, that answer could have been better worded.)

20 hours ago, Stallion said:

I live in a semi rural part of northern Los Angeles County. I have had my power shut off over 20 times by Southern California Edison because of the threat of fire if there system fails again(why they shut off my power while it was raining because of "hazardous fire conditions" I will never know). Regardless, the threat of fire in these high desert hills is high and I was holding my breath all night that a neighbor's Fourth of July party would not include fireworks. It did not.

Are there laws that regulate who can set off fireworks?

20 minutes ago, ElCid said:

Are there laws that regulate who can set off fireworks?

In the recent past, firework shows have been confined to near the mall, at the minor league baseball stadium, etc. There are certainly no firework stands anywhere near where I live. In our brushy, ranch-like neighborhood, the power outages should certainly be a reminder to the neighbors on the fire risk here and I think folks abide by that.

• Thanks 1

Two firefighters injured during city fireworks display

https://www.wsaz.com/2021/07/05/two-firefighters-injured-during-city-fireworks-display/

Was going to start a separate thread but it's holiday related (somewhat)

DISGUSTING - Also look how one insensitive jerk decided how to spend his extended 4th of July....vandalizing a cematary

Truck used in cemetery vandalism found stuck on 3-year-old girl's grave

https://www.wsaz.com/video/2021/07/06/truck-used-cemetery-vandalism-found-stuck-year-old-girl-grave/?traffic_source=Connatix

• Sad 1

22 hours ago, hamradio said:

Don't know if this guy is trying to invent the NOISELESS firework or not.  :blink:

Or reinventing the pipe bomb.  He's a wise-cracker.  I looked at the listing of his other videos and he looks like a bored soul, with the lockdowns basically being irrelevant to his output in any way shape or form.

With a tailpipe being maybe about 2" diameter or bigger, the size of that "firecracker" looks to be more appropriate for ordnance used for industrial ballistics testing  or something.

On 7/5/2021 at 9:20 AM, ElCid said:

.   One problem I have is the liter they leave behind on streets, sidewalks and other people's yards.  Not to mention the fire threat.

The liter of what?  And did you actually measure it?  ;) 

Well, I had an OK 4th.  My street had it's traditional "make our street sound like the D-Day invasion" amount of fireworks.  :D 

Sepiatone

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

Well, I had an OK 4th.  My street had it's traditional "make our street sound like the D-Day invasion" amount of fireworks.  :D 

We used to live on this cul-de-sac, we unwittingly moved into a very closely knit group of neighbors. If you failed to decorate at Christmas you'd find a couple of the dads knocking at your door with lights and ladders. One of the dads was a career Navy trainer. He went around to subs and trained on launching the big stuff, and another of the dads was a fireman. These two were a dangerous combination and the 4th was always precarious with lots of near misses over the years there. 

• Haha 1