Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Favorite films directed by Brian De Palma

10 minutes ago, kingrat said:

Nope, I try to avoid horror or gory stuff. Thanks for posting his filmography. I've also seen Mission:Impossible, also in the fairly good category.

I genuinely think you would enjoy CARRIE As well as it is not a very gory film and is a showcase for two of the best female performances in the 1970s.

• Like 1

I have seen 17 films by De Palma on first run all the time, he is a good pastiche director like the painter Elmyr in Orson Welles 's movie  F for Fake.But i will avoid one film of his. A friend of mine a very good critic at the Montreal Gazette titled his review then :Mission Incomprehensible.And I'am not crazy about Mr Cruise either...

• Thanks 1

Struggling to make it through BLOW OUT. 

I like NANCY ALLEN, But her performance is totally out of sync with the movie. This is a sadistic gritty sexual thriller and she’s playing BILLIE DAWN. 

I did get a kick out of the fact that John Travolta plays a sound effects editor for a production company that makes absolutely terrible movies and on the wall is a poster for FOOD OF THE GODS 

I would’ve LOVED it if this movie had had a running joke wherein people ask Travolta’s character what he does for a living, then he informs them that he is a sound effects editor for movies, and then they ask what movies he has worked on, and then he tells them “FOOD OF THE GODS”,  and then whoever he is talking to instantly blurts out “YOU BASTARD!!!” and punches him right in the gut before walking off. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

this poster also featured prominently in the background of the fictitious production company in BLOW OUT. frankly, i am tempted to see if I can order a print on E-Bay. It would be a real statement piece over the mantle:

See the source image

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

It would be a real statement piece over the mantle:

. . . oh . . dear God.  I can see how that would really compliment the tree at Christmas or it'd make a spectacular backdrop for a nice menorah.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
4 minutes ago, Moe Howard said:

. . . oh . . dear God.  I can see how that would really compliment the tree at Christmas or it'd make a spectacular backdrop for a nice menorah.

Oh Honey, you don't even wanna know what's on top of my Christmas tree.....

(KIDDING)

• Haha 2

but your guests could spend plenty of time speculating as to just why the makers of THE LURE OF THE TRIANGLE chose to add the fact that the tagline was part of "WWII Government Propaganda" (did the Dept. Of Defense contact the filmmakers and insist they attribute the quote? Did they trademark it? did they get a royalty?)

also: why a WWII reference if the image of the ship you are gonna use is the HMS Bounty? why Not a U-Boat? Or Battleship?

• Haha 2
1 minute ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

but your guests could spend plenty of time speculating as to just why the makers of THE LURE OF THE TRIANGLE choose to add the fact that the tagline was part of WWII Government Propoganda (did they trademark it? did they get a royalty?)

also: why a WWII reference if the image of the ship you are gonna use is the HMS Bounty? why Not a U-Boat? Or Battleship?

Yes. Much speculation afoot.. Lure of the loose lipped triangle.  With a sub 'going down'.

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

truly, only the greatest works of art can leave the viewer with so many questions at first glance.

Oh. Absolutely. They'll leave with a long continued conversation.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Moe Howard said:

Yes. Much speculation afoot.. Lure of the loose lipped triangle.  With a sub 'going down'.

YES! A SUBMARINE!

Thank you!

WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF THAT? Maybe it's because my mind was so filled with filthy possibilities.

also, I AM VERY SAD TO REPORT that THERE IS NO WIKIPEDIA ENTRY or IMDB PAGE for THE LURE OF THE TRIANGLE (1978.)

• Like 1
Just now, LornaHansonForbes said:

THERE IS NO WIKIPEDIA ENTRY

You can easily remedy that. Personally, I'm baffled how there's been such an egregious oversight.

• Like 1

THE SYNOPSIS COPIED AND PASTED FROM IMDB:

Filmed on location in the crystal waters of the Devil's Triangle. Steamy Sex combined with beautiful underwater photography. This is a treasure hunt to end all treasure hunts. We won't spoil the plot by telling you what gorgeous Patricia Rivers and virile Mike Cone are looking for, or whether they find it, but we will guarantee that for the viewer there's treasure of every kind in every last frame of this movie. The Triangle will LURE you in!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Filmed on location in the crystal waters of the Devil's Triangle. Steamy Sex combined with beautiful underwater photography. This is a treasure hunt to end all treasure hunts. We won't spoil the plot by telling you what gorgeous Patricia Rivers and virile Mike Cone are looking for, or whether they find it, but we will guarantee that for the viewer there's treasure of every kind in every last frame of this movie. The Triangle will LURE you in!

That's it! Now I've got no choice but to hunt it down so I can find out what it is they're looking for and whether or not they find it.

Sorry London After Midnight. Apologies uncut Magnificent Ambersons and Greed. You've been kicked down on  Ed's Holy Grail list.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

But what are their signs! That's what we all are dying to know! Quick get Alicia on the horn and her soggy sidekick astrologist!

• Haha 2

That said, Blow-Out's opening slasher-movie parody--which was a lot funnier back in '81 when we already almost literally getting one a week--made the "ironic" ending feel like so much more  of a punch to Travolta's gut.  If it was the snotty self-absorbed photographer from Blow-Up, he'd have just thought he was clever.

Just like watching a then-unknown John Lithgow as one of the creepiest psychos in movies would be a punch in the gut to anyone raised on "Santa Claus: the Movie".  😮

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, EricJ said:

That said, Blow-Out's opening slasher-movie parody--which was a lot funnier back in '81 when we already almost literally getting one a week--made the "ironic" ending feel like so much more  of a punch to Travolta's gut.  If it was the snotty self-absorbed photographer from Blow-Up, he'd have just thought he was clever.

Just like watching a then-unknown John Lithgow as one of the creepiest psychos in movies would be a punch in the gut to anyone raised on "Santa Claus: the Movie".  😮

Actually, I legitimately think SANTA CLAUS: THE MOVIE Is LITHGOW’s most terrifying performance by a mile. I still remember him chomping on those radioactive candy canes and floating off like some sort of demented clown-faced Zepplin a la DUNE. 

but yes, excellent points. 

• Haha 1

My favorite De Palma movie (and I think his best) is Carlito's Way.

Not his best but one I had a real hoot watching is Body Double. I recommended it to a buddy and he loved it.

Carrie was quite gripping - standout performance by Piper Laurie, and Sissy is pretty darn good in it as well. Saw it in the theatre and enjoyed it. Not a Travolta fan, though.

Casualties of War is a good one. Haunting music.

I have a problem with The Untouchables. While loving Connery in it, I can't say the same for Costner, who I think is as unconvincing as anyone could be in his role. Costner ruins the film for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
14 hours ago, 37kitties said:

My favorite De Palma movie (and I think his best) is Carlito's Way.

Not his best but one I had a real hoot watching is Body Double. I recommended it to a buddy and he loved it.

quite a few critics have retrospectively praised CARLITO'S WAY, I want to say more than one has called it the best film of 1993, which is saying something, because that was a big year for movies (one of the last "great" ones if you ask me.)

BODY DOUBLE limps along until an hour (or so) in, when it absolutely comes ALIVE in its breathless, tongue-in-cheek look at the world of ADULT MOVIEMAKING. Nutty as this sounds, and it's not like it'll ever happen, but I would jump at the chance to write a remake of BODY DOUBLE because I think there is untapped potential.

• Like 1

one thing that strikes me in retrospect about BLOW OUT (1981), and I apologize if I wasn't paying attention and missed something, but you could really quite easily read TRAVOLTA'S character in the film as gay. He avoids the ingenues flouncing through the office, HE IS IN THE PARK ALONE AT AN EARLY MORNING HOUR, and (as I recall) he and NANCY ALLEN have a completely asexual relationship all-around, there isn't even a whiff of attraction, he even has to feign interest in her at times to get her to go along with him.

See the source image

• Like 2