Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Director and Producer Richard Donner (1930-2021)

https://deadline.com/2021/07/richard-donner-dead-superman-lethal-weapon-director-1234786372/

Richard Donner, the prolific Hollywood director and producer whose helming credits include some of the most iconic movies of the 1970s and ’80s including the Christopher Reeve-starring Superman, The Goonies and the Mel Gibson-Danny Glover buddy cop series Lethal Weapon, has died. He was 91.

Donner died Monday, according to his wife, the producer Lauren Schuler Donner, and his business manager. No cause of death has been revealed.

The Bronx-born Donner started his career directing for television, like his film credits a laundry list of staple shows including Route 66, The Rifleman, The Twilight Zone, The Man From U.N.C.L.E., Gilligan’s Island, Perry Mason and The Wild Wild West. After his debut feature, the 1968 crime comedy Salt & Pepper starring Sammy Davis Jr. and Peter Lawford, Donner segued to films full time with 1976’s spooky The Omen.

That led to 1978’s Superman, the original superhero movie that starred Reeve as the Man of Steel along with Margot Kidder and Gene Hackman. The blockbuster with a budget of about $55 million grossed more than $300 million at the global box office.

More to come.

• Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

Mel Gibson On ‘Lethal Weapon’ Director Richard Donner’s Passing: “Magnanimous Of Heart And Soul”

https://deadline.com/2021/07/mel-gibson-richard-donner-lethal-weapon-director-memorium-1234786394/

Danny Glover On Richard Donner: “My Heart Is Broken”

https://deadline.com/2021/07/danny-glover-richard-donner-death-mel-gibson-lethal-weapon-1234786421/

Richard Donner, Iconic Film Director, Remembered By Hollywood: “The Greatest Goonie Of All,” Steven Spielberg Says

https://deadline.com/2021/07/richard-donner-death-reactions-hollywood-1234786412/

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

Re: "Richard Donner...The Twilight Zone...

That led to 1978’s Superman, the original superhero movie that starred Reeve as the Man of Steel along with Margot Kidder and Gene Hackman. The blockbuster with a budget of about $55 million grossed more than $300 million at the global box office."

I thought of the following upon seeing his name:

twilight-zone-nightmare-at-20000-feet.jpg.dca75343a27b258a0443961a6146253f.jpg

BATMAN (1966) predated Superman by a dozen years, but the '78 film arguably is still the best of the superhero genre.

I've seen plenty of mentions of Superman, Lethal Weapon, (ack!) The Goonies, and even a few generous mentions of The Omen, but I'm pretty sure I'm first in with mentions of Maverick (1994).  The Lethal Weapon star & director, with the Princess Bride screenwriter.  👍

32252_maverick.jpg

And I can't really say what constitutes "a Richard Donner film" stylistically, but I do know that Superman and The Omen would never have become 70's decade icons without the classy gravitas that Donner gave them for a big studio.

• Like 2

• MikaelaArsenault changed the title to Director and Producer Richard Donner (1930-2021)
7 hours ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

https://deadline.com/2021/07/richard-donner-dead-superman-lethal-weapon-director-1234786372/

Richard Donner, the prolific Hollywood director and producer whose helming credits include some of the most iconic movies of the 1970s and ’80s including the Christopher Reeve-starring Superman, The Goonies and the Mel Gibson-Danny Glover buddy cop series Lethal Weapon, has died. He was 91.

Donner died Monday, according to his wife, the producer Lauren Schuler Donner, and his business manager. No cause of death has been revealed.

The Bronx-born Donner started his career directing for television, like his film credits a laundry list of staple shows including Route 66, The Rifleman, The Twilight Zone, The Man From U.N.C.L.E., Gilligan’s Island, Perry Mason and The Wild Wild West. After his debut feature, the 1968 crime comedy Salt & Pepper starring Sammy Davis Jr. and Peter Lawford, Donner segued to films full time with 1976’s spooky The Omen.

That led to 1978’s Superman, the original superhero movie that starred Reeve as the Man of Steel along with Margot Kidder and Gene Hackman. The blockbuster with a budget of about $55 million grossed more than $300 million at the global box office.

More to come.

Thank You*.

*even though i HATE News like this..

Think ill watch theGoonies Tonight.

I Definitely Type like one.

• Like 1

Superman: the Movie was a big staple of my childhood. In recent years, there has been much ballyhood about the so-called "Snyder Cut" of Justice League, but long before then there was the "Donner Cut" of Superman II, which was filmed simultaneously with the first movie but was radically altered before release via re-shoots helmed by Richard Lester of A Hard Day's Night fame. I found this on imdb:

In late 2006 a new version, Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut (1980), subtitled "The Richard Donner Cut", was released on DVD and Blu-ray by the new rights-holders of the franchise. It reinserts virtually everything that could been salvaged from what Donner shot for his intended original version of the film, such as the infamous Marlon Brando scenes, before the producers sacked him. This version uses less than 20% of material filmed by Richard Lester, and since that left a few gaps in the story with no possibility of re-shoots, Donner had to make do with just about every bit of footage he had shot some 25 years before, including some which had only been shot as screen tests.

Sorry to see him pass.  I thought he looked fairly healthy last year at the zoom Goonies reunion (I believe it was on his 90th birthday).

Know it will never happen, but as an Oregon kid, i still want to see a sequel to Goonies.

• 2 weeks later...

We rented Timeline again from the library because my husband is very fond of the film. The DVD had some interesting extras about the making of the film, including how they filmed the night attack on the castle, how they blew up the tower, and how they blew up the laboratory. There are also some good moments about how to maintain continuity. Richard Donner seems very likable and engaging throughout.

I agree that Ladyhawke is another enjoyable film, although at least one DVD version did not turn out well at all. The Amazon reviews detail some of the problems; the night scenes are much too dark, which is not how I remembered seeing the film when it was first released. This would be a great choice for a future TCM Festival, especially if Rutger Hauer or Michelle Pfeiffer were present.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings