Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Tonight: What's Your Sign?

"To win is everything;to place is nothing." - DOWNHILL RACER  (1969)

Susan Miller, a noted astrologer, is reading charts tonight on TCM...

The Alicia Malone/Susan Miller talk on The Cincinnati Kid earlier this evening was Martian ruled, stressed winning as the theme and reminded me that an Arien, Linda Goodman, wrote what might be the most famous book on astrology, SUN SIGNS. SUN SIGNS was so popular that it even  made an appearance in 'klute' if I correctly recall.

• Like 1

Sweet Jesus, just how desperate is TCM??  Star signs??  Come on now!!!

And I say this as a long-standing amateur astrologer myself.  I am embarrassed!!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 3

Oh I don't know...some of my favorite movies are about astrology & fortune tellers. Wonder how they could have missed Anna Mae Wong in WHEN WERE YOU BORN? '38? Even though a bit of a stretch from astrology, Paulette Goddard in THE CRYSTAL BALL '43 is a fave too.

• Like 2

Unfortunately the theme is not about astrology and / or fortune tellers in the movies.  That would be a more typical theme.  Rather, it is organizing the films around common astrology signs for the stars appearing in the movies based on their birthdays.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
6 hours ago, cmovieviewer said:

Not only that, it's 4 consecutive Tuesdays.  I feel sorry for Alicia Malone having to be the host.

She did look uncomfortable to me doing these segments, but maybe that's me just projecting my own opinion on the matter...

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
9 hours ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

Sweet Jesus, just how desperate is TCM??  Star signs??  Come on now!!!

And I say this as a long-standing amateur astrologer myself.  I am embarrassed!!

They are coming up with strange ways to keep showing the same films in the Turner library.

The makers of these films never intended them to be exhibited this way.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, yanceycravat said:

Yeah, I watched. Gotta say this one feels like someone was stuck for an idea.

I'm waiting for the month they do star zip codes.

Or have cafeteria workers across the country choose their favorite Cary Grant movies.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8
6 hours ago, cmovieviewer said:

Re: "Not only that, it's 4 consecutive Tuesdays."

Not in order, though: From Steve McQueen's sign, the proverbial newborn, Leo impatiently roared in!

According to TCM's resident astrologer, Susan Miller, the Sun king dominates the world which TCM occupies - especially those born during the first week of August such as the fireball that was Lucille Ball.

• Haha 1
33 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

She did look uncomfortable to me doing these segments, but maybe that's me just projecting my own opinion on the matter...

I recorded the films, including their intros, and find that the split-screen between Alicia and Susan Miller allowed for some reaction shots. Susan Miller did much of the talking, along with her "chackle" (chuckle/cackle).

For the Cincinnati Kid, Alicia started with a broad toothy smile, reduced to a strained grin by the end of the astrology intro (Aries for McQueen). I think her eyes were projecting "get me out of here!" by the end. When the ball was tossed back to her to introduce the film, she regained composure. The outro was also commanded by Susan; the split screen was mainly gone.

For the Long Long Trailer, Alicia said she was learning alot, and was interested to hear about the sign Leo for Lucile Ball, but her eyes were darting while saying it, and I didn't believe it. Politeness, maybe? Alicia took over part of the conversation about Lucy, apart from astrology, and seemed comfortable. Split screen seemed employed less when Susan was talking. The outro by Susan concentrated on the compatibility (or not) of the signs of Lucy and Desi, which made for humor, and Alicia might have been happy.

For the Bad and the Beautiful, Sagittarius for Kirk Douglas, Alicia seems to have tried to turn the intro into a Q&A, asking pointed questions to elicit astrology answers, rather than leaving it to Susan's off-the-cuff speechifying. To wrap the night, Alicia says she learned alot, and thanks, and invited the viewers back for next week for Earth Signs, Audrey Hepburn, Gary Cooper, Greta Garbo and Humphrey Bogart. (Not me, I looked at the offerings, seen them, and don't need the astrology hammer, Thank You.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
On 7/7/2021 at 8:40 AM, cmovieviewer said:

Unfortunately the theme is not about astrology and / or fortune tellers in the movies.  That would be a more typical theme.  Rather, it is organizing the films around common astrology signs for the stars appearing in the movies based on their birthdays.

Yes,  this has to be one of my least favorite themes of all time.    When I first saw that kook talk,  I believed it was a parody.     But no! 

I turned to something else.   

A focus on movies where astrology / fortune tellers / sprit world),  might have been interesting:  E.g.  The Uninvited.     Of well,   like Lombard says to Powell at the end of My Man Godfrey - it will all be over in a moment.

Also,   The Cincinnati Kid has some fine acting but the actual poker playing scenes  are so unrealistic that those scenes come off as a parody to someone like myself that actually plays the game. 

• Like 3

I really think any connection to an actress or actor's astrological sign and the nature of their movie characters behaviors or personality traits is purely coincidental.  What's next?

An actor's suitability for a role based on shoe size?  Or dental health?   Or maybe their personal preference for certain vegetables?  :wacko:.......

"Yes.  Cary Grant's dislike of broccoli made him PERFECT or the role of Mr. Blandings!"  ;) 

Sepiatone

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
19 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Yes,  this has to be one of my least favorite themes of all time.    When I first saw that kook talk,  I believed in was a parody.     But no! 

A focus on movies where astrology / fortune tellers / sprit world),  might have been interesting:  E.g.  The Uninvited.     Of well,   like Lombard says to Powell at the end of My Man Godfrey - it will all be over in a moment.

Also,   The Cincinnati Kid has some fine acting but the actual poker playing scenes  are so unrealistic that those scenes come off as a parody to someone like myself that actually plays the game. 

Never believed in astrology, but to each his own.   I found the mute button useful until the film started.   I wanted to see The Cincinnati Kid, as I'd only seen about 5 minutes of it before.   It's essentially a soap opera leading up to a card game.  Some of the costumes  were not faithful to the period, Ann-Margaret and Tuesday Weld looked as though they time-travelled from 1965, and McQueen never seemed convincing as an up-and-coming high-stakes poker player to me.   I thought I was watching Thomas Crown play poker.

It all reminded me of Hogan's Heroes, where there was absolutely no effort to be faithful to the time period.

I did enjoy the performances of Cab Calloway, Joan Blondell, Rip Torn,  and Edward G. Robinson though.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
55 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Yes,  this has to be one of my least favorite themes of all time.    When I first saw that kook talk,  I believed in was a parody.     But no! 

Like maybe Game-1 of the NBA Finals, James? ;)

55 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I've played a bit of poker in my life too James, but have never found the scenes being all that unrealistic in this film. Well, except during the final hand scene and when someone supposedly as adept at the game as McQueen made the major mistake of check-raising while thinking that Eddie G. couldn't possibly have had the straight-flush.

(...so what else seems phony to you about the poker scenes?)

• Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Like maybe Game-1 of the NBA Finals, James? ;)

I've played a bit of poker in my life too James, but have never found the scenes being all that unrealistic in this film. Well, except during the final hand scene and when someone supposedly as adept at the game as McQueen makes the major mistake of thinking that Eddie G. couldn't possibly have had the straight-flush.

(...so what else seems phony to you about the poker scenes?)

Uh,  you know me well!    I was watching the NBA Finals and only saw that kook,  when I switched to TCM during a time-out \ half-time.    

I'm pulling for the Suns,  even if they are in the same division as my Lakers;   Never been much of a fan of Chris Paul (felt he was a whiner),  but I really like the young players on this team,  and Paul is clearly giving his all,  so it would be nice to see him get a ring as one of the top point guards in NBA history.

You're also correct about the Kid:  I should have only said that the last scene was the unrealistic one;   I.e. the odds of two of those type of major hands in a two-player poker game has to be over 100 thousand to one.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Uh,  you know me well!    I was watching the NBA Finals and only saw that kook,  when I switched to TCM during a time-out \ half-time.    

I'm pulling for the Suns,  even if they are in the same division as my Lakers;   Never been much of a fan of Chris Paul (felt he was a whiner),  but I really like the young players on this team,  and Paul is clearly giving his all,  so it would be nice to see him get a ring as one of the top point guards in NBA history.

You're also correct about the Kid:  I should have only said that the last scene was the unrealistic one;   I.e. the odds of two of those type of major hands in a two-player poker game has to be over 100 thousand to one.

There are quotes of Anthony Holden's book floating around the internet that state the odds of a full house losing to a straight flush in a two-handed game are 45,102,781 to 1.  And the odds of those two particular hands being dealt are 332,220,508,619 to 1

• Thanks 2

Great, so if I'm Gemini, does that mean I have to watch "Big Business", "Dead Ringers" (Bette Davis or Jeremy Irons versions), or Danny DeVito & Arnold Schwarzenegger?

• Haha 3
1 hour ago, txfilmfan said:

There are quotes of Anthony Holden's book floating around the internet that state the odds of a full house losing to a straight flush in a two-handed game are 45,102,781 to 1.  And the odds of those two particular hands being dealt are 332,220,508,619 to 1

I'm sure McQueen was thinking just this at the time, but even with these odds in this much of his favor in that particular hand, because as I recall he was so far ahead money-wise at the time it was dealt, it's still always felt to me that he had committed a major mistake by his check-raising tactic and then further compounding his mistake by use of the marker which would put him in debt IF Eddie G. might have the card which filled in his straight-flush.

I was a bit bummed when my sign was changed from Gemini to Cancer a number of years ago.

Who wants to have Cancer as their sign.