Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Tonight: What's Your Sign?

Was this why TCM showed THE EARRINGS OF MADAME de... yesterday?  The character of Nanny is always shown reading fortunes with playing cards... well worth a watch.   I guess it's just a coincidence...

7 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

Was this why TCM showed THE EARRINGS OF MADAME de... yesterday?  The character of Nanny is always shown reading fortunes with playing cards... well worth a watch.   I guess it's just a coincidence...

Probably coincidence.

22 hours ago, txfilmfan said:

There are quotes of Anthony Holden's book floating around the internet that state the odds of a full house losing to a straight flush in a two-handed game are 45,102,781 to 1.  And the odds of those two particular hands being dealt are 332,220,508,619 to 1

Too bad that book wasn't around in the '60's so the screenwriters of the movie could have consulted it and instead made a poker playing documentary instead of a MOVIE!  :rolleyes:

DARG, ever think McQueen's character made those mistakes because he was so bent on beating Robinson's that it clouded his judgement and made him go on tilt?   ANY so-called "poker player" would have thought that from jump.  

19 hours ago, Vautrin said:

I was a bit bummed when my sign was changed from Gemini to Cancer a number of years ago.

How in the Hell did that happen?  I don't recall the astrological table making any "revisions".

Sepiatone

• Haha 1
22 hours ago, EricJ said:

Great, so if I'm Gemini, does that mean I have to watch "Big Business", "Dead Ringers" (Bette Davis or Jeremy Irons versions), or Danny DeVito & Arnold Schwarzenegger?

I'd suggest the Bette Davis version of DEAD RINGER(S).  She's got the Moon in Gemini, lol.   (you'd never know it, though.  Presents more as her explosive sun sign Aries combined with a fierce, ruthless Scorpio Ascendant)

• Like 1
On 7/7/2021 at 4:21 AM, cmovieviewer said:

Not only that, it's 4 consecutive Tuesdays.  I feel sorry for Alicia Malone having to be the host.

Yeah.

Alicia's a Virgo by the way.

• Like 1
On 7/7/2021 at 10:29 AM, TopBilled said:

They are coming up with strange ways to keep showing the same films in the Turner library.

The makers of these films never intended them to be exhibited this way.

TCM seems to be obsessed with Andy Hardy.

(Mickey Rooney = Libra)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
3 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

TCM seems to be obsessed with Andy Hardy.

(Mickey Rooney = Libra)

Maybe they're getting ready to make Mickey Rooney Star of the Month again.

There are other stars that deserve a nod...Joan Bennett, Alan Ladd and Pat O'Brien come to mind.

• Like 2

The Mickster, ugh.  I remember how scary he was in that interview with Robert Osborne....

However, I like the three you mention:

Joan Bennett (Pisces)

Alan Ladd (Virgo)

Pat O'Brien (Scorpio)

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Vautrin said:

I was a bit bummed when my sign was changed from Gemini to Cancer a number of years ago.

Who wants to have Cancer as their sign.

If you are on the cusp, a sign can change based on  birth year.  June 21 usually designates a Cancer Sun, however.   

I was born October 22, Scorpio cusp but am resolutely a Libra by every astrological account.   Sometimes that's good and sometimes it isn't, lol.

• Like 2
23 hours ago, Dargo said:

I'm sure McQueen was thinking just this at the time, but even with these odds in this much of his favor in that particular hand, because as I recall he was so far ahead money-wise at the time it was dealt, it's still always felt to me that he had committed a major mistake by his check-raising tactic and then further compounding his mistake by use of the marker which would put him in debt IF Eddie G. might have the card which filled in his straight-flush.

All of that is on point...but

What choice did the Kid have but to go for it? He had to know that Yancy had a straight or flush considering how big he was going. But the kid was showing 2 pair which the straight or flush would beat thus indicating the reason Yancy was pushing so hard. What the Kid had to be thinking is what Yancy doesn't know is what's gonna kill him - the Kid has a tight! The odds of the straight being a straight flush (literally the only thing that could beat the Kid) was astronomical considering only 10 cards in total had been dealt.

Of course the Kid had to shoot the moon - as the voice overs clearly said - the Kid had the Man. Everyone was thinking it, not just the Kid.

Kid had no choice but to play it like he did. If he'd backed out with that tight against a straight (or flush), he'd have never been the same again.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

he shoulda gone along with shooter.

:D

Shooter turned out to be a bum and a coward who, in some inexplicable way, has gotten a luscious beauty (cheating brat though she be) to marry him. I think we're supposed to admire him, but I didn't see anything but weakness. What's to admire?

Go along with shooter? Sure, be a cheat. That'd be nice.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Vautrin said:

Who wants to have Cancer as their sign.

Nobody - That's why some horoscope columnists now change the name to "Moon Child".

(Okay, Neverending Story fans, quit giggling...)

Neverending-story.jpg

2 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Maybe they're getting ready to make Mickey Rooney Star of the Month again.

There are other stars that deserve a nod...Joan Bennett, Alan Ladd and Pat O'Brien come to mind.

I'd like an Alan Ladd SotM but if they'd show 1971's the Manipulator I'm more than willing to watch the Andy Hardy series all over again...and again...and...

• Haha 2

I have not been able to watch the introductions and I have not seen it mentioned in this thread but it seems to me the most appropriate application of astrology to movies would be actors portraying characters of a different sign. Leo is the most powerful sign and Aries is the weakest so a real-world Leo would have a distinct advantage playing movie-character Aries but not vice-versa. 

It might be of some slight interest also if a movie was assigned a sign based on the day filming began and there was discussions of the prospects, conflicts and aspects in play on the day that it was released. Was it inevitable that it would make a big splash and then die quickly or was it fated to emerge in obscurity and lay in the mud for decades before being recognized as brilliant?

2 hours ago, 37kitties said:

By the way, I wonder what the water sign movies will be. Pisces are such interesting people. Cancers are calm and Scorpios mysterious.

Why THANKS, 37kitties!

(...I've always thought of myself as being that, anyway)  ;)

LOL

4 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

How in the Hell did that happen?  I don't recall the astrological table making any "revisions".

Sepiatone

As explained below by Bronxie I am on the cusp, June 21st. 

3 hours ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

If you are on the cusp, a sign can change based on  birth year.  June 21 usually designates a Cancer Sun, however.   

I was born October 22, Scorpio cusp but am resolutely a Libra by every astrological account.   Sometimes that's good and sometimes it isn't, lol.

Yes, I was born on June 21. I'm only talking about the astrology columns in the newspapers, not professional

astrologers. For some reason the former shifted June 21 to Cancer from Gemini a number of years ago. I'll

have to look up the traits of each and see which way the wind blows. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, EricJ said:

Nobody - That's why some horoscope columnists now change the name to "Moon Child".

(Okay, Neverending Story fans, quit giggling...)

Neverending-story.jpg

That sound 100% better. Lovely song by King Crimson too. 

3 hours ago, 37kitties said:

All of that is on point...but

What choice did the Kid have but to go for it? He had to know that Yancy had a straight or flush considering how big he was going. But the kid was showing 2 pair which the straight or flush would beat thus indicating the reason Yancy was pushing so hard. What the Kid had to be thinking is what Yancy doesn't know is what's gonna kill him - the Kid has a tight! The odds of the straight being a straight flush (literally the only thing that could beat the Kid) was astronomical considering only 10 cards in total had been dealt.

Of course the Kid had to shoot the moon - as the voice overs clearly said - the Kid had the Man. Everyone was thinking it, not just the Kid.

Kid had no choice but to play it like he did. If he'd backed out with that tight against a straight (or flush), he'd have never been the same again.

Well, I suppose I can kind'a see his rationale for his going for broke mentality in that situation and besides the thought that it had already been estashlished in the film that The Kid was geared to that sort of mindset anyway, but once again because The Kid was up quite a bit at the time and thus because he didn't have an absolute lock on the hand, the smart move would've been to just call Lancey's (not "Yancy", btw) bet, and especially because with Lancey being the very experienced player that he was, he wouldn't have come out swinging after The Kid checked and because Lancey had put The Kid holding the Aces-Full hand at best and so would have just checked his own hand IF it were just a straight or a flush and knowing that his bet would automatically be called by The Kid at the very minimum.

(...you see 37kitties, while I may be "interesting" because of being a Pisces, when it comes to the game of poker, I've always played somewhat conservatively and which usually has worked out in my favor, and which may NOT be all that "interesting" of course)  ;)

3 hours ago, Vautrin said:

Yes, I was born on June 21. I'm only talking about the astrology columns in the newspapers, not professional

astrologers. For some reason the former shifted June 21 to Cancer from Gemini a number of years ago. I'll

have to look up the traits of each and see which way the wind blows. 

For the most accurate rendering I would suggest clicking Astro Mart Astrology, then hit "Free Birth Chart" -- fill in your particulars and they will expertly calculate whether you're Gemini or Cancer.

6 hours ago, 37kitties said:

By the way, I wonder what the water sign movies will be. Pisces are such interesting people. Cancers are calm and Scorpios mysterious.

The films will not be representative of any sun sign, only the actors in them.  The line-up is:

Liz Taylor (Pisces) BUTTERFIELD 8

Ginger Rogers (Cancer) THE GAY DIVORCEE

Grace Kelly (Scorpio) MOGAMBO

• Like 1