Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Prospective TCM subscriber with a question

Pre-Code Fan

Hello, longtime cablecutter here, but I was thinking of getting Hulu's TV option pretty much for the purpose of watching TCM. That said, as I look at the offerings for this week and next, I see very few films from the '30s that aren't the "same old" big-name titles, and only two films pre-1930. Is TCM offering a reasonable number of '20s and lesser-known '30s flicks? One of the things I liked best about it, back when I was a cable subscriber, was the obscure, even sometimes Poverty Row, films that it would screen. Thanks.

46 minutes ago, Pre-Code Fan said:

Hello, longtime cablecutter here, but I was thinking of getting Hulu's TV option pretty much for the purpose of watching TCM. That said, as I look at the offerings for this week and next, I see very few films from the '30s that aren't the "same old" big-name titles, and only two films pre-1930. Is TCM offering a reasonable number of '20s and lesser-known '30s flicks? One of the things I liked best about it, back when I was a cable subscriber, was the obscure, even sometimes Poverty Row, films that it would screen. Thanks.

One thing to know regarding streaming cable/satellite substitute services like Hulu TV or YouTube TV: since they are considered streaming services, there are some film titles which are aired by TCM but not cleared for streaming rights.  You won't be able to see those on Hulu TV.

Also, if you were a WatchTCM user in the past through your cable subscription, be aware that TCM doesn't extend the same courtesy to those who get TCM via a streamer.   For me, as a YouTube subscriber, it isn't an impact, as you get essentially the same thing with their VOD (video on demand) library.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Pre-Code Fan said:

Thank you both. @txfilmfan, that's an interesting point. I didn't realize that streaming vs. cable programming would be different. Is there somewhere to see what wouldn't be shown, i.e., the TCM equivalent of grayed-out tunes on Spotify?

On YouTube TV, it's marked on their schedule grid  with a slashed eyeball icon.  But their schedule only has about a week's lookahead.  AFAIK there's no comprehensive listing of films that you can view via streaming.  Here's what another YTTV TCM subscriber posted on another message thread, as an example...

Some movies "unavailable" on Youtube TV - PROBLEMS with TCM.com - TCM  Message Boards

On 7/7/2021 at 1:08 PM, Pre-Code Fan said:

Thank you. That's helpful. I'll see if there's an equivalent for Hulu.

everything available on demand on the watch tcm app is available on HULU if you get the streaming...you just mark tcm as a favorite, go to favorites, and they're all there,...in fact, sometimes I find they leave them there longer than the tcm app.  fxm has a similar section (can watch on demand there) but of course, they have fewer older films.   I've had Hulu stream for a couple of years, I supplement it with a couple of Iptv services, and it's really rare that they don't show what's on tcm because of streaming rights...I can only recall a couple of times, and I found the film on OK anyway..  If they still offer them, take a free trial.

• Like 1