Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Sat., July 17 -The Falcon Out West, 10:08 AM ET


ElCid
 Share

Recommended Posts

Mine, too, ElCid!  I know a lot of people list THE FALCON AND THE CO-EDS as their favorite or best-in-the-series, but I actually prefer MEXICO.   Although I'm not overly thrilled with the rushed ending, this outing cuts right to the chase -- no extraneous comedy relief or other distractions.   It's simple, moody (with some Lewton LEOPARD MAN atmospherics towards the finale) and I just adore that beautiful Mexican song.   Plus, I'm a Mona Maris fan, lol.  (she's Lenore Aubert-lite to me, lol)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

Mine, too, ElCid!  I know a lot of people list THE FALCON AND THE CO-EDS as their favorite or best-in-the-series, but I actually prefer MEXICO.   Although I'm not overly thrilled with the rushed ending, this outing cuts right to the chase -- no extraneous comedy relief or other distractions.   It's simple, moody (with some Lewton LEOPARD MAN atmospherics towards the finale) and I just adore that beautiful Mexican song.   Plus, I'm a Mona Maris fan, lol.  (she's Lenore Aubert-lite to me, lol)

I liked Martha Vickers and Nestor Paiva in this one.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, ElCid said:

I liked Martha Vickers and Nestor Paiva in this one.

Me too, but nobody seems to remember Mona Maris, lol.

It's weird, though, because the only other film I've ever seen her in is the 1941 UNDERGROUND which used to play a lot back-in-the-day and she only had a small role as one of Martin Kosleck's Nazi secretaries but for some reason I've never forgotten her.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

Me too, but nobody seems to remember Mona Maris, lol.

It's weird, though, because the only other film I've ever seen her in is the 1941 UNDERGROUND which used to play a lot back-in-the-day and she only had a small role as one of Martin Kosleck's Nazi secretaries but for some reason I've never forgotten her.

Would have to pull out my DVD Falcon sets, but I think Mona Maris was in a few.   Maybe even The Saint movies.  But she is one I also remember.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Next Saturday TCM has The Falcon Out West.   Not bad, but not as good as some others.  Barbara Hale (Della Street from Perry  Mason) is in it. 

For me, I think I like the ones where he travels to somewhere other than the streets of New York.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ElCid said:

Would have to pull out my DVD Falcon sets, but I think Mona Maris was in a few.   Maybe even The Saint movies.  But she is one I also remember.

Mona Maris was in A Date with the Falcon;  The second in the series with George Sanders.  

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Shank Asu said:

As someone who has never seen a Falcon film, is it not recommended to just dive in and watch any film from the series?  Or is the first film the most logical place to start?

I say just dive in.    Each film stands-on-its-own and there isn't really any connection between prior films and the next one in the series.

One may wish to see The Falcon's Brother first.   This  film stars both George Sanders (the original Falcon in 3 films),  and his actual brother , Tom Conway,  who was in 9 Falcon films after The Falcon's Brother.      

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Shank Asu said:

As someone who has never seen a Falcon film, is it not recommended to just dive in and watch any film from the series?  Or is the first film the most logical place to start?

I agree with James, but all of the Falcons are entertaining.  Might be better to start with the George Sanders ones just because he started the series and then turned it over to Tom Conway.  The first in the series is The Gay Falcon and no he was not gay.  His name was Gay which I assume was short for Gaylord.

One interesting one with Sanders is The Falcon Takes Over.  It is based on Raymond Chandler's Farewell My Lovely which was later made into Murder My Sweet (1944) and Farewell My Lovely (1975).  While the Falcon version is entertaining, it does not measure up to either of the other two.   Of course all The Falcon moves are about 60 minutes long, so not enough time to dig deep into Chandler.

Speaking of the 60 minute length, that is one thing sort of appeals to me.  Have an hour to kill, watch a Falcon movie or if you do not wish to invest an hour in something.

Personally my favorites are The Falcon's Brother with Jane Randolph, The Falcon Strikes Back (again with Randolph), The Falcon and the Co-Eds The Falcon Out West, The Falcon in Mexico and The Falcon's Adventure ( last in the series).

Enjoy all of them though.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, ElCid said:

I agree with James, but all of the Falcons are entertaining.  Might be better to start with the George Sanders ones just because he started the series and then turned it over to Tom Conway.  The first in the series is The Gay Falcon and no he was not gay.  His name was Gay which I assume was short for Gaylord.

One interesting one with Sanders is The Falcon Takes Over.  It is based on Raymond Chandler's Farewell My Lovely which was later made into Murder My Sweet (1944) and Farewell My Lovely (1975).  While the Falcon version is entertaining, it does not measure up to either of the other two.   Of course all The Falcon moves are about 60 minutes long, so not enough time to dig deep into Chandler.

Speaking of the 60 minute length, that is one thing sort of appeals to me.  Have an hour to kill, watch a Falcon movie or if you do not wish to invest an hour in something.

Personally my favorites are The Falcon's Brother with Jane Randolph, The Falcon Strikes Back (again with Randolph), The Falcon and the Co-Eds The Falcon Out West, The Falcon in Mexico and The Falcon's Adventure ( last in the series).

Enjoy all of them though.

Very cool, thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • ElCid changed the title to Sat., July 17 -The Falcon Out West, 10:08 AM ET

Title changed to this coming Saturday's feature - The Falcon Out West.

Sat, July 31 is The Falcon's Adventure.  I can't get the schedules to open for Sat, the 24 - they show Fri and Sun, but not Saturday.  Apparently Adventure may be the last one shown on Saturday mornings-depending on what is on the 24th.   It was the last of the RKO and Tom Conway features.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

July 24 is The Falcon in San Francisco.  This is one I have never really gotten into that much.  Not bad, but as the review below states somewhat difficult to follow.  For me, it also does not contain that humorous something that the other ones have.

From TCM site:  The Falcon In San Francisco -SPOILER


Did the butler do it? No, the butler can't be the murderer because he's killed in reel 2. 1945's The Falcon in San Francisco, RKO's eleventh outing for the Falcon series, is certainly complicated in the plot department, as several critics said they found the story difficult to follow. Writer Robert E. Kent's tangled scenario begins with a murder in the club car of a train, and soon moves to smuggling intrigues on the docks. The detective hero and playboy Tom Lawrence, aka The Falcon (Tom Conway) must deal with a family hiding dark secrets, while juggling two beautiful women with ulterior motives (Fay Helm and Rita Corday). A sinister butler is indeed found dead in the second reel, and Tom is arrested for kidnapping a small child (Sharyn Moffett). One critic noted that The Falcon ended the previous film handcuffed to a blonde, and wanted to know how that was resolved. But Lawrence is actually less of a skirt-chaser in this installment. Perhaps RKO was running out of starlets to play glamorous walk-ons, as beauties like Rita Corday and Jean Brooks returned in more than one Falcon feature, playing different roles. After being written out for several movies The Falcon's sidekick Goldie returns, played by the amusing Edward Brophy. Goldie's comic obsession this time is with the idea of getting married, because he's heard of the additional income tax deduction. The director of The Falcon in San Francisco is Joseph H. Lewis, who would soon earn critical accolades with moody thrillers like My Name is Julia Ross. Perhaps Lewis' ease with action explains why this episode in The Falcon series is more violent than usual - the climax is a big shoot-out, followed by an exploding cargo ship.

By Glenn Erickson

Sign Up now to stay up to date with all of the latest news from TCM.s of Use

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/10/2021 at 7:04 AM, ElCid said:

This is my favorite Falcon movie and I think one of the best.  The title says it all.

Barbara Hale is really cute in this one. I was a little disappointed that Lyle Talbot didn't get to do too much in this one.

I have the DVDs too and I like the one where he goes to the girls school the best.

I like Tom Conway's Falcon better than George Sanders' because Tom is more of a lady pleaser, whereas George expects the ladies to please him.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

Barbara Hale is really cute in this one. I was a little disappointed that Lyle Talbot didn't get to do too much in this one.

I have the DVDs too and I like the one where he goes to the girls school the best.

I like Tom Conway's Falcon better than George Sanders' because Tom is more of a lady pleaser, whereas George expects the ladies to please him.

 

I think Hale is even better in The Falcon in Hollywood.  The Falcon and the Co-Eds is one of the best.

Good contrast between Sanders and Conway's roles.  I also prefer Conway because he seems to be more laid back and does the humor better than Sanders.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

© 2022 Turner Classic Movies Inc. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...