Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Japanese Beetles Are Back

MovieMadness

The Japanese Beetles Are Back

Back without popular demand: Here comes the annual showing of Japanese beetles, the embodiment of beauty and the beast rolled into one. The 4-6-week period of intense activity by the gleaming, copper-colored adult Popillia japonica is underway.

These beetles may seem to have it in specifically for your roses, raspberries, crab apples or grapes, but those are just a few of the 300-plus plant species they are known to feed on in North America.

The expert advice might sound counterintuitive: Stop trapping them. (Farewell, beetle bags, despite the marketing promises.) And maybe hold back on watering lawns in the July heat, as female beetles will be seeking a moist spot to lay eggs.

Yes, those are steps toward making peace with this here-to-stay invasive pest, which scientists have sought to subdue since shortly after it was identified in New Jersey in 1916.

Nearly a century later, a 2015 U.S. Department of Agriculture homeowners’ guide to Japanese beetle management put the cost of control in the United States — including the removal and replacement of damaged turf — at $460 million annually. Half of that damage is caused not by the adults, but during the beetles’ larval stage, by the grubs.

Still, this is a troublemaker at both stages of life — and its wide-ranging diet doesn’t hurt its chances, either.

Are these beetles happier because of global warming like they promised them they would be?

When I first saw the thread title, were thinking of these.

Asian ladybug (also known as Japanese lady beetles)

shutterstock_1469233295.jpg

Are confused for american ladybugs.  Haven't had swarms covering the front of my house during the past couple of years.  Actually don't do any harm but sure are a PEST! :angry:

lbhsecloseup.jpg?itok=9KT99ZQr

beetlegettyimages-866285646-2000.jpg

good-and-bad-ladybugs-2656236-v3-fe3e465

Surprised MM didn't try to blame Biden for their return.  

Regardless, they come back this time every year.  Yes, the traps do work as do treatments for lawns to kill the grubs.  Have for us for years.

23 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

They lived in my attic and drains for years.

But I never got used to them.

All I get in my drains are either centipedes or these kind of tiny creepy black earwigs.  Even find one now and then trying to hide in my soap dish! :o

Sepiatone

11 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

All I get in my drains are either centipedes or these kind of tiny creepy black earwigs.  Even find one now and then trying to hide in my soap dish! :o

Sepiatone

Well, I didn't mention the real problem because they're not only unpleasant they're also dangerous.

But rather than the black widow, we generally have something called a brown spider which has a violin like case on its back. Cuz I guess that's where it carries it.

But as you will find out unfortunately, all spiders, poisonous or not can bite you and it hurts.

10 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

Well, I didn't mention the real problem because they're not only unpleasant they're also dangerous.

But rather than the black widow, we generally have something called a brown spider which has a violin like case on its back. Cuz I guess that's where it carries it.

But as you will find out unfortunately, all spiders, poisonous or not can bite you and it hurts.

We called them fiddlebacks or brown recluses when I was a kid.   I had a colleague that was bitten by one while on a business trip in St. Louis.  The spider was hiding in a drawer.  It resulted in a small chunk of her arm wasting away.

11 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

Most spiders I ever got in my house were harmless enough, leaving a bite(if it does manage to bite you)  only as annoying as a mosquito bite.  I don't mind them in the house as they catch and feed on other little nasties that might get into things or otherwise annoy you.  Like silverfish, gnats and also flies.  But I insist they stay in their place.  Any spider invading my space like, crawling on the wall within my eyesight and reach, or lowering themselves on their own "string" in front of my face or TV screen is doomed!  ;) 

Sepiatone

18 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

It depends upon the spider and if one is allergic to it's bite (same reaction to a bee sting)

10 Most Dangerous Spiders Of North America.

https://northamericannature.com/10-most-dangerous-spiders-of-north-america/

The brown recluse (Loxosceles reclusa) is considered the deadliest.

2187579343_e99f03ff25_c.jpg