Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Classic Movies On The Disney Channel


David Guercio
 Share

Recommended Posts


Did everybody know classic movies used to be on the Disney Channel?  I was watching some promos on YouTube yesterday.  I subscribed to all kinds of those YouTube channels.  On Triple Feature Friday they had a Cary Grant triple feature and when The Magical World Of Disney was on seven nights a week.  They had a fee-line theme and one of the movies was Bringing Up Baby.  They would have Elvis movies.  Frank Sinatra movies and concerts.  All kinds of really cool stuff on the Disney Channel.  Along with Disney stuff of course.  Before it was what it is now.  I miss those days and here on TCM they’ve got great programming of course.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I remember when the Disney Channel would show classic live-action Disney films- this was the mid to late 80's.  As a kid who loved classic adventure stories, they were great.

At the same time Nickelodeon would show classic TV shows like Dennis the Menace, Lassie and Leave it to Beaver.  Grew up watching and loving those shows.  And actually I think Nickelodeon showed the rare classic film as well.   They used to have a show called Special Delivery which was just the name for the two hour block on the weekends where they'd show a movie and i recall watching the original Lord of the Flies as an 8 year old on it.  Pretty memorable and shocking film for an 8 year old.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/11/2021 at 11:56 AM, David Guercio said:


Did everybody know classic movies used to be on the Disney Channel?  I was watching some promos on YouTube yesterday.  I subscribed to all kinds of those YouTube channels.  On Triple Feature Friday they had a Cary Grant triple feature and when The Magical World Of Disney was on seven nights a week.  They had a fee-line theme and one of the movies was Bringing Up Baby.  They would have Elvis movies.  Frank Sinatra movies and concerts.  All kinds of really cool stuff on the Disney Channel.  Along with Disney stuff of course.  Before it was what it is now.  I miss those days and here on TCM they’ve got great programming of course.

(The) Only Two "Disnified" films over the last twenty years or so that id consider classic would be Tomorrowland, and David Lowery's Vision/Version of Petes Dragon.

 

 

 

 

And Maybe the Rocketeer.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, I remember when Disney Channel used to air classic movies.    I didn't see many of them way back then, but I remember seeing that "The Philadelphia Story" was listed as being on the Disney Channel.          It was near the end of 1997 or the beginning of 1998 when Disney Channel stopped airing classic movies.   In the summer of 1997, I saw - for the first time, and on Disney Channel too - "Midnight Lace" starring Doris Day.

 

I also remember Nickelodeon's Special Delivery - which they aired on weekends.   They aired classic films quite a bit on "Special Delivery", like "The Little Princess" starring Shirley Temple, and "Lloyds of London" starring Tyrone Power and Freddie Bartholomew, and "Little Lord Fauntleroy" starring Freddie Bartholomew. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Aritosthenes said:

(The) Only Two "Disnified" films over the last twenty years or so that id consider classic would be Tomorrowland, and David Lowery's Vision/Version of Petes Dragon.

 

 

 

 

And Maybe the Rocketeer.

Haven't seen any of those.  Haven't been much of a Disney fan but now with a three year old and a kid due in a few weeks, i know my time is coming.  So far its been nothing but Cars that the 3 year old wants to see.

But we will NOT go down the route of the MCU from Disney.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Classic aficionado said:

Yes, I remember when Disney Channel used to air classic movies.    I didn't see many of them way back then, but I remember seeing that "The Philadelphia Story" was listed as being on the Disney Channel.          It was near the end of 1997 or the beginning of 1998 when Disney Channel stopped airing classic movies.   In the summer of 1997, I saw - for the first time, and on Disney Channel too - "Midnight Lace" starring Doris Day.

 

I also remember Nickelodeon's Special Delivery - which they aired on weekends.   They aired classic films quite a bit on "Special Delivery", like "The Little Princess" starring Shirley Temple, and "Lloyds of London" starring Tyrone Power and Freddie Bartholomew, and "Little Lord Fauntleroy" starring Freddie Bartholomew. 

Now that you mention Shirley Temple, I do recall the Disney Channel playing her films quite a bit.  Was never my favorites but my mom and grandma loved them and I'd watch the films with them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Shank Asu said:

Haven't seen any of those.  Haven't been much of a Disney fan but now with a three year old and a kid due in a few weeks, i know my time is coming.  So far its been nothing but Cars that the 3 year old wants to see.

But we will NOT go down the route of the MCU from Disney.

Laughing in agreement and camaraderie with that Sentiment. Not One bit Laughing "At" You.

 

 

      Id Posit and Go So Far (As) To Say, Tomorrowland and Petes Dragon are EXQUISITE.

 While theRocketeer is VERY Lovely, Immersive, and Enjoyable to Sit Thru AsWell. (All Three "of They" Might Have a Bit Too Much Malice, Adventure, and Foreboding in them though for a three yr old.)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

And Honestly..

 

   Couldnt Agree With You More About thst marvel thing.      Im NOT a Marvel guy myself. (Though Venom, Antman +Wasp, and Spidey-Man: Into Spidey Verse Are (All) GREAT.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...