Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Same title, couldn't be more different.

3 hours ago, Mr. Gorman said:

Some folks are classy and don't really want to go to the bottom of the barrel.  I, however, am not one of those people. 

These movies have similar titles . . . but are a bit different:

HANNAH AND HER SISTERS (1986)  Directed by Woody Allen

HANNAH DOES HER SISTERS (1986-Video).  Directed by (well, who really cares?)

I appreciate a lack of standards, but--the titles aren't the same.

Just now, slaytonf said:

But how do we know they couldn't be more different?

Good point. And so...

1934's Midnight: Drama that contains murder and courtroom scenes

1939's Midnight: Screwball (Romantic) Comedy about an Parisian taxi driver and a broke American showgirl stuck in the city of lights who meet (I love this film)

1982's Midnight: Exploitation Horror film

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Classic aficionado said:

"Boomerang" (1947)    A courtroom drama.     Starring Dana Andrews and Arthur Kennedy

"Boomerang" (1992)    A romantic comedy.   Starring Eddie Murphy, Halle Berry, and Robin Givens

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Road House" (1989)   An action romance drama,      Starring Patrick Swayze and Kelly Lynch.

"Road House" (1948)   A film noir romance drama.     Starring Ida Lupino, Cornel Wilde, Richard Widmark, and Celeste Holm.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Gladiator" (1992)     A drama about two young friends involved in an illegal boxing operation.    Starring James Marshall and Cuba Gooding, Jr.

"Gladiator" (2000)     A historical sword-and-sandal epic set in ancient Rome.     Starring Russell Crowe and Oliver Reed.

"Possessed" (1931)   A pre-Code romantic drama starring Joan Crawford and Clark Gable.

"Possessed" (1947)   A psychological drama about a woman who, after being coldly dumped and discarded by her uncaring and amoral boyfriend, marries her recently widowed boss, only to find her ex-boyfriend re-entering her life and seducing her new college student stepdaughter,  again starring Joan Crawford, and also starring Raymond Massey, Van Heflin, and Geraldine Brooks.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Dressed To Kill" (1980)   A serial killer murders a middle-aged woman, whose son then sets out to nail him - with the help of a prostitute who was also targeted by the same killer.    Starring Keith Gordon, Nancy Allen, Michael Caine, and Angie Dickinson.

"Dressed to Kill" (1946)   A classic Sherlock Holmes mystery.     Starring Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce.

"The Fan" (1981)   A Broadway diva is stalked and menaced by a murderous young man.   Starring Lauren Bacall and Michael Biehn.

"The Fan" (1996)   A baseball star is menaced and threatened by a dangerous and demented sports fanatic.    Starring Wesley Snipes, Robert DeNiro, and Ellen Barkin.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"The Chase" (1966)  A crime drama/slice-of-life-drama set in a Southern town, starring  Marlon Brando, Jane Fonda, Robert Redford, and Angie Dickinson.

"The Chase" (1994)  An adventure-comedy about a fugitive man and a young woman and the romance that develops between them while fleeing the police.   Starring Charlie Sheen and Kristy Swanson.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Some of these don't look very different.

Like the Dressed to Kill  and Possessed movies.

2 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Good point. And so...

1934's Midnight: Drama that contains murder and courtroom scenes

1939's Midnight: Screwball (Romantic) Comedy about an Parisian taxi driver and a broke American showgirl stuck in the city of lights who meet (I love this film)

1982's Midnight: Exploitation Horror film

Now, that's different!

• slaytonf changed the title to Same title, coultn't be more different.

Ransom

1928.  Lois Wilson, Edmond Burns.  Burton Meredith, A young, U.S. government chemist discovers a formula for a deadly gas. But Wo Fang, the evil leader of the Chinatown underground sets out to steal the secret, using very foul means, and he knows many.

1996.  Mel Gibson, Rene Russo. Multi-millionaire Tom Mullen's son is kidnapped, but after initially agreeing to pay the ransom Mullen then decides to use the ransom money as a bounty.

3 hours ago, Classic aficionado said:

"The Fan" (1981)   A Broadway diva is stalked and menaced by a murderous young man.   Starring Lauren Bacall and Michael Biehn.

"The Fan" (1996)   A baseball star is menaced and threatened by a dangerous and demented sports fanatic.    Starring Wesley Snipes, Robert DeNiro, and Ellen Barkin.

And given that PlutoTV has both on rotation, it's annoying to see it constantly turn out to be the Wesley Snipes version.  😠

But anyway:

---

Brainstorm (1965) - Jeffrey Hunter feigns insanity as part of a film-noir plot.

Brainstorm1965.jpg

Brainstorm (1983) - Christopher Walken invents a virtual-reality device, and has a virtual near-death experience.

51VptjTpVJL._SY355_.jpg

(Which leads to:)

Shock Treatment (1965) - Stuart Whitman feigns insanity to search for loot hidden in an asylum

s-l400.jpg

Shock Treatment (1981) - Brad & Janet (not played by same actors) from "Rocky Horror" escape Dr. Frankenfurter's castle to a mad psychiatrist's "town" in a TV studio.

SHOCK-TREATMENT--012.jpg?width=445&quali

(Well  he asked for "different"...)

• Like 3

It's a Date

1940.  Deanna Durbin, Kay Francis.  An aspiring actress is offered the lead in a major new play, but discovers that her mother, a more seasoned performer, expects the same part.

2018.  Tammy Townsend, Darrin Dewitt Henson.  Anastasia Reese is the owner of a dating service who falls in love with one of her customers.

• Like 1

Bad Boys (1983) and Bad Boys (1995)

The Avengers (1998) and The Avengers (2012)

Rush (1991) and Rush (2012)

Crash (1996) and Crash (2004)

Frozen (2010) and Frozen (2013)

Independence Day (1983) and Independence Day (1996)

Drive (1997) and Drive (2011)

Heat (1987) and Heat (1995)

How about 3 different movies with the same title.

"Bad Company" (1973) (1995) (2002)

1973: Jeff Bridges, a pious Ohioan dodging the Civil War draft, falls in with a rough crowd in this unromantic Western.

1995: Two former CIA agents, a femme fatale and a reluctant mole, plot to murder their boss and take over his corporate espionage company, but make the mistake of trusting one another.

2002: In the last film to be shot in the World Trade Center, Chris Rock poses as his own twin brother to foil an Afghan bomb plot (yeah, that was uncomfortable). Anthony Hopkins is his supervisor.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Oh I don't think it indicates anything intentionally. Subliminally, the angle of the cigarette just looks like a straw pointed at the face's nose & the ash looks like what you'd be snorting UP the straw.

Seems a stretch to me, but some might take it that way.  ;) 

Sepiatone

2 hours ago, hamradio said:

Bad Boys (1983) and Bad Boys (1995)

The Avengers (1998) and The Avengers (2012)

Rush (1991) and Rush (2012)

Crash (1996) and Crash (2004)

Frozen (2010) and Frozen (2013)

Independence Day (1983) and Independence Day (1996)

Drive (1997) and Drive (2011)

Heat (1987) and Heat (1995)

How can we tell they couldn't be more different?

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
On 7/14/2021 at 3:25 PM, slaytonf said:

Let's put it this way:
The Avengers (1998):

hqdefault.jpg

The Avengers (2012):

the-avengers-ending-team-image.jpeg

(Okay, Emma Peel, Black Widow...Different ENOUGH.)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, slaytonf said:

I've noticed fewer & fewer actually comprehend the written word, resulting in an increase of nonsense posts. 

• Like 2

Dynamite (1929) - Early talkie film about an heiress who has to be married in order to inherit. She marries a condemned man who is released because the guilty party is found.

Dynamite (1949) - Programmer about two guys who work with dynamite and love the same woman.

Black Cat (1934) - Lugosi/Karloff horror film at the end of the precode era.

Black Cat (1941) - Comedy/horror revolving around an old woman's will and two guys who are just not funny.

Broadway (1929) - Early talkie about murder at a speak-easy

Broadway (1942) - George Raft as himself looking back on his days as a hoofer on Broadway

• Like 3
3 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

I've noticed fewer & fewer actually comprehend the written word, resulting in an increase of nonsense posts. 

I am having great difficulty in comprehending the meaning of the title of this thread. I can not find the third word in the title in any online dictionary and reading the entire thread does not reveal if it is an inside joke.

Serenity (2005) The crew of the ship Serenity try to evade an assassin sent to recapture telepath River.

Serenity (2019) A fishing boat captain juggles facing his mysterious past and finding himself ensnared in a reality where nothing is what it seems.

The descriptions may seem vaguely similar but the ship in the second one is a deep sea fishing boat available for charter while the ship in the first one is a battered and decrepit spaceship of which it is said:
Mal: Ship like this, be with you 'til the day you die.
Zoë'Cause it's a deathtrap.

What Women Want (1920) - During World War I, Francine D'Espard, a young French woman, meets William Holliday, a U.S. Army officer at the front, and they become engaged. Returning to America, William finds his father at the mercy of his business rival, Ezekiel Bates. Shortly after, when Francine arrives in America to marry her fiancé, she is informed that her lover is about to marry Bates's daughter Susan. Her love now turning to hate, Francine devotes herself to the task of destroying her former suitor. Through her connections with the U.S. Secret Service, the two are involved in many adventures, and just as Francine is about to avenge herself, she discovers that Holliday has been true to her all the time. Upon finding evidence that Bates, in addition to being the cause of all their troubles, also has defrauded the government, Francine has him arrested and finally is reunited with her lover.

What Women Want (2000) - A cocky, chauvinistic advertising executive magically acquires the ability to hear what women are thinking.

• Like 1
  • slaytonf changed the title to Same title, couldn't be more different.
48 minutes ago, SansFin said:

I am having great difficulty in comprehending the meaning of the title of this thread. I can not find the third word in the title in any online dictionary and reading the entire thread does not reveal if it is an inside joke.

Uf.  Another prob.  Seems I should spend more time porfing my tittles.  I have corrected.

• Haha 1
10 minutes ago, slaytonf said:

Uf.  Another prob.  Seems I should spend more time porfing my tittles.  I have corrected.

What surprises me is how many people did not notice it. My fuzzy is a writer and so I have learned that poofreading is not an exact science.

"Accordion to a recent survey, replacing words with the names of musical instruments in a sentence often goes undetected."

Baby Doll

1956.  Eli Wallach, Carroll Baker, Karl Malden.  An immature child bride holds her anxious husband at bay while flirting with an amorous Sicilian farmer.

2020.  Marina Orlova, Dana Agisheva, Bonba Lia.  Three beautiful Russian best friends travel to Los Angeles in search of the Hollywood dream, but after falling in with the wrong crowd, they get more than they bargained for.

Pretty Baby

1950.  Dennis Morgan, Betsy Drake.   A working girl rises in an ad agency after impressing a baby-food client with her lifelike dolls.

1978.  Keith Carridine, Brooke Shields, Susan Sarandon, Frances Fay.  A teenage girl lives as a prostitute in New Orleans in 1917.

Million Dollar Baby

1934.  Arline Judge, Ray Walker.  A husband-and-wife vaudeville team disguise their young son as a girl so he can enter a contest run by a movie studio that's looking for "a new Shirley Temple".

2004.  Hillary Swank, Clint Eastwood, Morgan Freeman.  A determined woman works with a hardened boxing trainer to become a professional.

• Like 2