Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Same title, couldn't be more different.

3 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

your writing has zero accent. 

I thank you for your kind words. I suffer from a disconnect between speaking and writing. My speech has never been an issue but I realized that my writing carried a distinct accent no matter how carefully I constructed sentences to parallel sample sentences given to me. Speech-to-text software results looked distinctly odd in both word choice and sentence arrangement. My biggest obstacle has been to trust my verbal instincts when writing. Some people move their lips when reading. I have to do it when writing. I have been immersed in reading virtually exclusively English for several years now and so my dim brain is slowly accepting the structure as a standard.

10 minutes ago, slaytonf said:

What, and they were all the same?

I examined the list and it is much the same as for my post concerning: "The Island" as a title: many are directly named that and some have names which translate to that in English and a few are: "Also known as". 

I mean all the plots.  Because if they weren't, why not post a few words telling what some different ones were, and a couple of the stars, too?

• Like 1

Party Girl

1958.  Robert Taylor, Cyd Charisse.  Lawyer Thomas Farrell has made a career defending crooks in trials. He has never realized that there is a downside to his success, until he meets the dancer Vicki Gaye.

1995.  Parker Posey.  Party girl Mary gets bailed out of jail by her librarian godmother. She starts working at the library, slowly fills her empty brain.

• Like 4
4 hours ago, hamradio said:

or could  do a simple web search. -_-

That sounds like an effective approach.

Has anyone mentioned Caught (1949) (1996)? They both sound a little noirish, but other than that,

could not be more different.

When Prince was still alive he would block every one of his songs on YT  he legally could. Now that

he has passed away, there are loads of Prince videos available. All hail His Purpleness.

There are at least 11 sound films called The Mirror.  The two most respected ones are by Andrei Tarkovsky and Jafar Panahi.  The first is a complex 1975 autobiographical meditation on Soviet history.  The second is a 1997 movie about a girl trying to find her way home from school.

Mirror-1.jpg

mirror-1200-1200-675-675-crop-000000.jpg

• Like 4

We have these little nuggets:

BABYSITTER, The (1969)  This 75-minute B&W nugget is a seedy exploitation movie of sorts involving middle-aged lust of a regular sorta fella who willingly gets involved with his teenaged babysitter before the excrement hits the fan.

BABYSITTER, The (1982-Tvm)  Features a good cast.  Young babysitter begins taking over the household of the unhappy parents.  Turns out the babysitter is a bit of a psycho (surprise!) . . . 

• Like 4
6 hours ago, Vautrin said:

Has anyone mentioned Caught (1949) (1996)? They both sound a little noirish, but other than that,

could not be more different.

How can we know?

• Like 1

Skyscraper

1928.  William Boyd, Sue Carol, Alan Hale.  A man pretends to be interested in his fellow steel worker's sweetheart, in order to help the man recover his spirit and come out of depression.

2018.  Dwayne Johnson, Neve Campbell.  A security expert must infiltrate a burning skyscraper, 225 stories above ground, when his family is trapped inside by criminals.

• Like 3

Indiscreet (1931) A young woman jeopardizes the relationship with the man she loves when a no-account from her past shows up.

Indiscreet (1958) An actress who has given up on love meets a suave banker and begins a flirtation with him...even though he's already married.

Indiscreet (1998) A multi-millionaire client of a detective agency hires an investigator to get dirt on his wife, so he can divorce her. What the investigator finds instead is that the wife takes care of her elderly mother, likes to drink a little too much, and skinny dips in the ocean. He also sees that she is physically abused and when she apparently is going to attempt to drown herself, he dives in and saves her setting off a romantic coupling that innocently moves him unknowingly as the chief suspect in the husband's murder.

Both of these movies concern a train with gold aboard. The reason they are different is that the first focuses on rescue of the passengers of a stolen train while the second follows the execution of the caper of stealing gold from a moving train. 

The Great Train Robbery (1941) Tom Logan is a railroad detective. Tom takes it upon himself to halt the activities of his crooked brother Duke. Duke and his henchman have stolen an entire gold train, including the passengers. These bad guys have stopped the train and have it backed into lead into a long since abandoned dead-ended tunnel. The nightclub singer Kay Stevens is one the passengers who requires rescuing by Tom.

The Great Train Robbery (1978) Sutherland and Connery wish to rob a moving train's safe in Victorian England. They need wax impressions of keys, coffins, dead cats, and a great deal of planning in order to pull it off.

• Like 4

"Red Rain" (2013)

Mysterious deaths of cattle and strange lights in the sky get a young scientist curious.

Since this is in India, ET has committed sacrilege. :P

test_pic1571035200990.jpg

"Red Rain" (2021)

A psychologically disturbed taxi driver navigates a surreal and dystopian nightmare.

(wow a true story about China :lol:)

MV5BZTlmMzgwMjgtZjE4ZS00N2JiLWIyNWYtMWY2

Now I'll wait for some thriller or environmental film called "Purple Rain". 

• Like 2

Bought (1915) - A woman whose lover went down with the Titanic is pregnant and she offers to pay a man ten thousand dollars if he will marry her. No mention of whether or not this film survives.

Bought! (1931) - Constance Bennett as  a social climbing girl who has never known her father, looking to marry well. The film is tied up in rights problems. 

Bought (2015) - Documentary about how government agencies are bought and paid for by the industries they are supposed to regulate. 

NOTE: Does it matter that the 1931 film has an exclamation point and the others don't? 

• Like 1
On 7/15/2021 at 9:30 PM, slaytonf said:

What, and they were all the same?

Were you talking to me about the films/TV episodes all named "The Awakening"? They were not necessarily related at all. 

10 hours ago, SansFin said:

Both of these movies concern a train with gold aboard. The reason they are different is that the first focuses on rescue of the passengers of a stolen train while the second follows the execution of the caper of stealing gold from a moving train. 

The Great Train Robbery (1941) Tom Logan is a railroad detective. Tom takes it upon himself to halt the activities of his crooked brother Duke. Duke and his henchman have stolen an entire gold train, including the passengers. These bad guys have stopped the train and have it backed into lead into a long since abandoned dead-ended tunnel. The nightclub singer Kay Stevens is one the passengers who requires rescuing by Tom.

The Great Train Robbery (1978) Sutherland and Connery wish to rob a moving train's safe in Victorian England. They need wax impressions of keys, coffins, dead cats, and a great deal of planning in order to pull it off.

You left out one of the first films to have a story rather than just be an "actuality" - The Great Train Robbery (1903). Only 11 minutes long, but then the feature film as we know it would not exist for another ten years. 

2 hours ago, LsDoorMat said:

Bought (1915) - A woman whose lover went down with the Titanic is pregnant and she offers to pay a man ten thousand dollars if he will marry her. No mention of whether or not this film survives.

More likely it's lost like a lot of many silents.  The only thing that seem to had survived is a  single photo.

No information outside the plot summery is available.

Horace Frambers, an impecunious literary man receives the following offer: Helen Talbot, daughter of a rich financier, has trusted her lover not wisely but too well. She is about to become a mother. Her lover went down on the Titanic. If Frambers will marry Helen Talbot and save her name he will receive $10,000 and a position in Mr. Talbot's office. Frambers marries Helen; the child dies. Mr. Talbot gradually trusts and likes Frambers, but Helen despises her "bought" husband and intrigues with other men. So Frambers resigns his position and pays her back her $10,000. He deserts her and tells her to get a divorce. Talbot's business is failing and Frambers helps him recover it. Then Frambers returns to his room to die, as he thinks, but when he recovers from his illness he finds Helen by his side. She loves him and they are made happy with a happiness that has not been "bought."

MV5BYzQ5NTFlYTktZGFiMi00MGRmLTg5MzgtYjhi

• Like 1

Million Dollar Baby - 1941 - May Robson an heiress gives Pricilla Lane, a shopgirl, a million dollars and how that changes the girl's life.

Million Dollar Baby - 2004 - Hillary Swank as an amateur boxer wants to become a professional boxing champ is trained by Clint Eastwood who's lonely and estranged from his daughter. 
Excellent film, very touching

• Like 2
38 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Million Dollar Baby - 1941 - May Robson an heiress gives Pricilla Lane, a shopgirl, a million dollars and how that changes the girl's life.

Million Dollar Baby - 2004 - Hillary Swank as an amateur boxer wants to become a professional boxing champ is trained by Clint Eastwood who's lonely and estranged from his daughter. 
Excellent film, very touching

Never seen that movie, did it went to her head? ;)

6 hours ago, hamradio said:

Never seen that movie, did it went to her head? ;)

Have no idea what your post means. 

Million Dollar Baby ( 2004) - won 4 Oscars. Hillary Swank for Best Actress, Morgan Freeman for Best Supporting Actor, Best Picture and Clint won for Best Direction.

Million Dollar Baby ( 1941), the May Robson film will be on TCM Wed, so if you're asking about that film, you can see for yourself  

4 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Have no idea what your post means. 

The expression "money going to people's head" like when Jonathan Whitaker won the $315 million dollar lottery.

On 7/13/2021 at 8:16 PM, Classic aficionado said:

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"The Fan" (1981)   A Broadway diva is stalked and menaced by a murderous young man.   Starring Lauren Bacall and Michael Biehn.

"The Fan" (1996)   A baseball star is menaced and threatened by a dangerous and demented sports fanatic.    Starring Wesley Snipes, Robert DeNiro, and Ellen Barkin.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The Fan (1949) Based on  Oscar Wilde's comedy of manners "Lady Windemere's Fan" involving marital indiscretion in Victoria England.  Starring Jeanne Crain, George Sanders.

• Like 5

Sitting Pretty.

1933.  Jack Oakie, Jack Haley, Ginger Rogers. Chick Parker and Pete Pendleton are songwriters that are en route from New York to Hollywood to make their fame and fortune; Dorothy, a lunch wagon proprietor, joins them.

1948.  Robert Yourn, Maureen O'Hara, Clifton Webb.  A family that hires a live-in babysitter is surprised when he turns out to be a man who's a quirky genius.

• Like 3