Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Same title, couldn't be more different.

On 7/29/2021 at 12:09 PM, SansFin said:

A Shot in the Dark (1935) The apparent hanging of a suicidal student is revealed to be murder, as he was already dead when the noose was placed around his neck, killed by a sharp needle that penetrated the back of his skull with great force.

A Shot in the Dark (2017) Despite a lifetime of adversity, a blind high school wrestler attempts to win a State Championship before the end of his senior year.

There are several other movies with the same title but they are in the same genre and have other similarities to the: 1935 movie.

You left out the famous 1964 film "A Shot In the Dark" with Peter Sellers as Inspector Clouseau who believes an extremely guilty looking murder suspect is innocent. 

Also (1941) A Shot In the Dark - "Homicide detective Bill Ryder reluctantly teams up with wise-cracking news-hound Peter Kennedy to solve a pair of murders."

You said there were several movies similar to the 1935 film, but I find these two different enough to list them separately. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The Beast Must Die (Argentina, 1952 & France, 1969, adaptations of the same 1938 crime novel) A grieving parent takes vigilante action against the person he believes to be responsible for his child's death.

The Beast Must Die (UK, 1974) A tycoon invites a group of people to his island estate, intending to out one of them as a werewolf.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, LsDoorMat said:

You left out the famous 1964 film "A Shot In the Dark" with Peter Sellers as Inspector Clouseau who believes an extremely guilty looking murder suspect is innocent. 

Also (1941) A Shot In the Dark - "Homicide detective Bill Ryder reluctantly teams up with wise-cracking news-hound Peter Kennedy to solve a pair of murders."

You said there were several movies similar to the 1935 film, but I find these two different enough to list them separately. 

Those were the movies which I meant in the mention of others being in the same genre.

I felt that the 1941 movie had so few distinguishing characteristics from a stock murder mystery that it did not bear listing separately.

I feel that any mention of the 1964 movie in conjunction with decent movies is quite inappropriate. 

• Confused 1
49 minutes ago, SansFin said:

Those were the movies which I meant in the mention of others being in the same genre.

I felt that the 1941 movie had so few distinguishing characteristics from a stock murder mystery that it did not bear listing separately.

I feel that any mention of the 1964 movie in conjunction with decent movies is quite inappropriate. 

But I suspect the Peter Sellers,  A Shot in the Dark is the most well known by those at  this forum.    (I don't like it either but I have found it (that series of Clouseau films) to be popular at this site).

• Like 1
1 hour ago, SansFin said:

13 minutes ago, slaytonf said:

Ooo. Cutting.  I like it.

R.dee729f6439c56fc71481f9d984d12f4?rik=V

• Like 1
1 hour ago, SansFin said:

In that case, I assume that a comparison of these films would not be productive:

I Love You (1981)
    I Love You (1986)

I Love You (2016)
    I Love You (2019)
    I Love You (2005) (TV Movie)
    I Love You (1992)
    I Love You (2001)
    I Love You (1971)
    I Love You (2005)
    I Love You (2011)
    I Love You (2002)
    I Love You (1925)
    I Love You (1946)
    I Love You (1999)
    I Love You (1985)
    I Love You (1966)
    I Love You (1979)
    I Love You (1989)
    I Love You (1963)
    I Love You (1978) (TV Movie)
    I Love You (1918)
    I Love You (2015) (TV Movie)

• Haha 1
9 minutes ago, LsDoorMat said:

In that case, I assume that a comparison of these films would not be productive:

I Love You (1981)
    I Love You (1986)

I Love You (2016)
    I Love You (2019)
    I Love You (2005) (TV Movie)
    I Love You (1992)
    I Love You (2001)
    I Love You (1971)
    I Love You (2005)
    I Love You (2011)
    I Love You (2002)
    I Love You (1925)
    I Love You (1946)
    I Love You (1999)
    I Love You (1985)
    I Love You (1966)
    I Love You (1979)
    I Love You (1989)
    I Love You (1963)
    I Love You (1978) (TV Movie)
    I Love You (1918)
    I Love You (2015) (TV Movie)

Nope, probably not.

(...but I'll take a pass on seein' any of 'em that might star that annoying purple dinosaur)

• Haha 3

Not to distract people from their favored pursuits. . .

The Aftermath

1982.  Steve Barkett, Lynne Marguiles.  An astronaut battles mutant cannibals after returning from space to find earth ravaged by nuclear and biological war.

2001.  Keira Knightley, Ned Wills.  Post World War II, a British colonel and his wife are assigned to live in Hamburg during the post-war reconstruction, but tensions arise with the German who previously owned the house.

Oh, gosh.  I just realized they're both post-war movies.  Damn.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, slaytonf said:

The Aftermath

1982.  Steve Barkett, Lynne Marguiles.  An astronaut battles mutant cannibals after returning from space to find earth ravaged by nuclear and biological war.

2001.  Keira Knightley, Ned Wills.  Post World War II, a British colonel and his wife are assigned to live in Hamburg during the post-war reconstruction, but tensions arise with the German who previously owned the house.

Oh, gosh.  I just realized they're both post-war movies.  Damn.

Yes slayton, and so in essence they COULD BE "more different" here then, now CAN'T they!

And so PLEASE try bein' a little more conscientious with your offerings in...in......

(...oh yeah, in YOUR thread here, huh...sorry, never mind)

;)

15 hours ago, Polly of the Precodes said:

The Beast Must Die (UK, 1974) A tycoon invites a group of people to his island estate, intending to out one of them as a werewolf.

He brings a bunch of folks to his home, which is surrounded by water, just so he can say that one of them is a shape shifting ravenous carnivore. 😶

Yeah I'm thinking Gatsby didn't put a whole lot of thought into his endgame here.

• Thanks 1
31 minutes ago, Citizen Ed said:

He brings a bunch of folks to his home, which is surrounded by water, just so he can say that one of them is a shape shifting ravenous carnivore. 😶

Yeah I'm thinking Gatsby didn't put a whole lot of thought into his endgame here.

Oh, I dunno, Ed.

If say, the guy also invited the Lone Ranger to this little soiree, he'd have a ready means at his disposal to off anyone who might be suffering from lycantropy, wouldn't ya say?

(...he of silver bullet fame, ya see) ;)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
13 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Oh, I dunno, Ed.

If say, the guy also invited the Lone Ranger to this little soiree, he'd have a ready means at his disposal to off anyone who might be suffering from lycantropy, wouldn't ya say?

(...he of silver bullet fame, ya see) ;)

Great. 

Now I'm gonna have to watch it to find out if Clayton Moore and Jay Silverheels did get invited to the barbeque.

Thanks buddy.

• Haha 1
7 minutes ago, Citizen Ed said:

Great. 

Now I'm gonna have to watch it to find out if Clayton Moore and Jay Silverheels did get invited to the barbeque.

Thanks buddy.

Reminds me of that story about Clayton Moore that comedian Jay Thomas would tell every year on Letterman's Christmas shows.

(...it's on YouTube...and is funny as hell)

• Thanks 1
6 hours ago, Citizen Ed said:

Great. 

Thanks buddy.

I saw it earlier this year on Svengoolie. That was about two times too many.

On a more optimistic note,  the 1952 Argentinian film by this title is scheduled for Noir Alley in October.

• Like 1

The earliest of  those "I Love You" films (1918) actually sounds like it would have been interesting to watch:

"Felice, a peasant girl who lives near Florence, Italy, is so beautiful that the villagers call her the "Passion Flower." Jules Mardon, a French artist traveling in Italy for his health, paints Felice, winning her love in the process. Upon the portrait's completion, however, he abandons Felice and returns to Paris, where the painting earns him wealth and fame. Millionaire Armand de Gautier falls in love with Felice's image, buys the portrait, and then seeks out and marries the model. Several years after the birth of the happy couple's child, Armand commissions Jules to paint his wife and son, whereupon the artist again tries to seduce her. When Felice learns that Armand, assuming she has abandoned her plague-stricken child to be with Jules, wants no more to do with her, she kisses her son and then, with the disease on her lips, searches for Jules and kisses him. The artist dies, but Felice and her son survive to be reunited with Armand."

With Wheeler "Take Him For a Ride" Oakman as Armand and  Alma Rubins as Felice. Rubins had a heroin addiction that caused her early death.  Unlike the heroine addiction that may cause Andrew Cuomo's early demise. She played Julie in the 1929 version of Showboat. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, LsDoorMat said:

The earliest of  those "I Love You" films (1918) actually sounds like it would have been interesting to watch:

"Felice, a peasant girl who lives near Florence, Italy, is so beautiful that the villagers call her the "Passion Flower." Jules Mardon, a French artist traveling in Italy for his health, paints Felice, winning her love in the process. Upon the portrait's completion, however, he abandons Felice and returns to Paris, where the painting earns him wealth and fame. Millionaire Armand de Gautier falls in love with Felice's image, buys the portrait, and then seeks out and marries the model. Several years after the birth of the happy couple's child, Armand commissions Jules to paint his wife and son, whereupon the artist again tries to seduce her. When Felice learns that Armand, assuming she has abandoned her plague-stricken child to be with Jules, wants no more to do with her, she kisses her son and then, with the disease on her lips, searches for Jules and kisses him. The artist dies, but Felice and her son survive to be reunited with Armand."

With Wheeler "Take Him For a Ride" Oakman as Armand and  Alma Rubins as Felice. Rubins had a heroin addiction that caused her early death.  Unlike the heroine addiction that may cause Andrew Cuomo's early demise. She played Julie in the 1929 version of Showboat. 

3 hours ago, slaytonf said:

Now, what's the one that couldn't be more different?   Something with zombies,  I think. 

Yes, you're right here, slayton. It probably IS the one with the zombies in it.

You see, I've recently discovered that the 1987 version of I Love You actually concludes with a scene in which Barney, the aforementioned annoying purple dinosaur, purposely kills someone by kissing them with his big plague infected purple lips, and similarly what takes place to the 1918 version which LS up there just described the plot of.

(...and so we can at least rule that one out here, anyway)

• Haha 1

California (1947) - Epic account of how California became a state, featuring a wagon train, the Gold Rush, a wicked saloon queen, and an evil profiteer.
California (1977) - After the Civil War, Michael "California" Random, is released from prison and goes to Missouri with his partner William.   He is killed by bandits. California decides to return the belongings to his family and help them against outlaws.
 Califórnia (2015) - Estela is going through the convoluted stage of adolescence. Her uncle, Carlos, is her hero, and the trip to California to visit him,  her bigger dream. But everything falls apart when he comes back to Brazil looking skinny, weak and sick.

45 minutes ago, LsDoorMat said:

California (1947) - Epic account of how California became a state, featuring a wagon train, the Gold Rush, a wicked saloon queen, and an evil profiteer.
California (1977) - After the Civil War, Michael "California" Random, is released from prison and goes to Missouri with his partner William.   He is killed by bandits. California decides to return the belongings to his family and help them against outlaws.
 Califórnia (2015) - Estela is going through the convoluted stage of adolescence. Her uncle, Carlos, is her hero, and the trip to California to visit him,  her bigger dream. But everything falls apart when he comes back to Brazil looking skinny, weak and sick.

Aah, and so in THIS vein:

Wisconsin (1930) -  An early sound documentary about dairy farming in this upper midwestern state.

And THEN you have...

WisconSIN (1974) - Filmed in Milwaukee instead of Chatsworth California, a low budget film about...

(...well, I'm sure you can guess here, now can't ya?...and it sure ain't about "dairy farming" anyway!)

;)

• Haha 2
6 hours ago, Dargo said:

Aah, and so in THIS vein:

Wisconsin (1930) -  An early sound documentary about dairy farming in this upper midwestern state.

And THEN you have...

WisconSIN (1974) - Filmed in Milwaukee instead of Chatsworth California, a low budget film about...

(...well, I'm sure you can guess here, now can't ya?...and it sure ain't about "dairy farming" anyway!)

;)

You know, I am detecting a distinct strain of irreverence in your recent posts, Dargo.  I looked up the movies you cited and not one of them was a real movie.  I am at a loss to explain.  Not knowing otherwise, I'd say you were deliberately making up movies to titles solely for the satiric effect.  It would be difficult to say how disappointed I'd be, and you would certainly decline some two fifths in my estimation.  Fortunately, I know it isn't true, but it still leaves me at a loss.

Anyway,

Baby Face

1933.  Barbara Stanwyck, Theresa Harris.  A young woman, sexually exploited all her life, decides to turn the tables and exploit the hapless men at a big city bank - by gleefully seducing her way to the top.

2017.  Matthew Booker, Coco Clarke.  A group of friends reunite at a recluse cabin in the woods. Their fun is cut short when the local legends of a Baby-faced killer become a reality.

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, slaytonf said:

You know, I am detecting a distinct strain of irreverence in your recent posts, Dargo.  I looked up the movies you cited and not one of them was a real movie.  I am at a loss to explain.  Not knowing otherwise, I'd say you were deliberately making up movies to titles solely for the satiric effect.  It would be difficult to say how disappointed I'd be, and you would certainly decline some two fifths in my estimation.  Fortunately, I know it isn't true, but it still leaves me at a loss.

Anyway,

Baby Face

1933.  Barbara Stanwyck, Theresa Harris.  A young woman, sexually exploited all her life, decides to turn the tables and exploit the hapless men at a big city bank - by gleefully seducing her way to the top.

2017.  Matthew Booker, Coco Clarke.  A group of friends reunite at a recluse cabin in the woods. Their fun is cut short when the local legends of a Baby-faced killer become a reality.

Wait! Now slayton, ol' buddy, ol' pal! SURELY you're not accusing ME here of being "irreverent" and posting stuff in this forum merely for "satiric effect"?!!!

Why, I MUST say that I've NEVER been SO insulted in my LIFE!!! (yeah yeah, I know...it's early yet) 

Okay okay, Yes. I must admit in this last case I made up the whole "Wisconsin/WisconSIN" thing for, yes, comic effect and was "inspired" to do so by playing off of LS's "California" movies offering. AND, that this case would certainly not be an isolated one, to be sure.

However you see, the way I've always figure this sort'a thing is that because this here forum isn't exactly supposed be any sort of a "reverential exercise in the academic pursuit of cinematic history", why not OR what's the HARM in having a little fun around here while we're here.

BUT, if this sort'a thing tends to bug you a little too much, then tell ya what I'm gonna do. From now on I'll try my very best to refrain from inserting any of my jocularity into the threads you have started.

(...remember here though, I SAID "try my very best", and which in any court of law OR within the halls of Academia, could NEVER pass for any kind of ironclad guarantee, ya know)  ;) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
19 hours ago, Dargo said:

what's the HARM in having a little fun around here while we're here.

BUT, if this sort'a thing tends to bug you a little too much, then tell ya what I'm gonna do. From now on I'll try my very best to refrain from inserting any of my jocularity into the threads you have started.

(...remember here though, I SAID "try my very best", and which in any court of law OR within the halls of Academia, could NEVER pass for any kind of ironclad guarantee, ya know) 

First, from the Rules of Engagement for the TCM Messageboards:

¶ 11, Sec. II, 3(a.):  No fun permitted.

However, as you noted, the likelihood of that affecting you is nil.

Anyway,

Handle With Care

1932.  James Dunn, Boots Mallory.  Bill Gordon (James Dunn), whose lot-in-life is rising, falls in love with Helen Barlow (Boots Mallory), who is raising two cute motherless children who nearly wreck her romance when they can't understand why grown-ups kiss.

1964.  Dave Anderson, Eddie Beale.  Swami, an employee at the Brass Rail, a nightclub frequented by blacks, loses several hundred dollars of the club's receipts in a holdup. Afraid to tell "Second Rate Kate," the club's owner, Swami convinces Weary, another employee, to help him return the money before Kate discovers that it is missing.

• Like 1

High Hopes

1988.  Phil Davis, Ruth Sheen.  The life of a working class couple living in London and their complicated relationships with other members of the family.

2006.  Corin Nemec, David Faustino.  Hollywood hopeful Tom Murphy and his posse of pals conspire to get into the big leagues. Pinning their hopes of industry success on Tom's famous girlfriend starring in their first feature, falls to pieces when she dumps him. Tom and his pals learn of another possibility and devise a plan to steal a fenced case of government issued marijuana, return it to the FBI and use the reward money to finance their movie. Little do they know a scorned girlfriend and her deaf mute brother have other plans.

Although both the following films deal with the subject of crime (well, with a title like "Quicksand", you sure wouldn't expect them to be comedies, now would ya?!)  their storylines couldn't be more different:

Quicksand_(1950_movie_poster).jpg

...is a 1950 film noir set in L.A. that stars Mickey Rooney as a garage machanic who descends into a life of crime.

p34477_d_v8_aa.jpg

...is a 2003 neo-noir set in various international locations that stars Michael Keaton as a NYC-based bank fraud investgator first sent to Monaco to check up on the suspicious financial dealings of a movie production. However, as he delves deeper into the case, he soon finds himself being framed for murder and money laundering by the Russian Mob.

• Like 1