Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Seriously, Anthony Perkins as a sex symbol...... ?

cigarjoe

10 minutes ago, Mr. Gorman said:

I don't know that he was supposed to be a 'Sex Symbol'?  He's the star of the movie and all, but I don't think Anthony was meant to be a 'sex symbol'.  (Although some chicks dig skinny dudes . . . ).

Well Jane Fonda is acting like he's gods gift to women. lol.

• Haha 3

He married Marisa Berenson's (sp?) sister, Berry.  She died in one of the 9/11 plane crashes.  And, he preferred men to women. Anthony Perkins wasn't ugly; however, wasn't he in one of the Psycho sequels.  He died of AIDS.  He was a good actor and he had some chemistry with Audrey Hepburn in Green Mansions, but I can't watch that movie for many reasons.

On a side note, I find it puzzling how so many actors now flaunt their sex life (pansexual?  Does that mean you sleep with the beasties - play on Godfather's he sleeps with the fishies?).  However, there are those still in the closet.

2 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

What were they thinking? Currently watching  Tall Story. He was also in some others. Did the the studios actually do a survey of American woman and come up with this?

Somebody in the know please explain?

Missed watching this one CJ, but after looking up the synopsis of this movie and seeing that Tony played "the best basketball player at his college", perhaps a BETTER question and instead of incredulously asking if Tony was a "sex symbol", would be to ask how he could possibly be cast as a "star athlete" in ANY movie he was ever in???

You see, I still remember seeing him playing the troubled MLB player JImmy Piersall in Fear Strikes Out, and oooh WEEE, if he was as inept at shooting hoops in this Tall Story flick as he was at throwing a baseball in THAT flick, then...

(...well, you get the idea here, I'm sure)

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

Well Jane Fonda is acting like he's gods gift to women. lol.

From what I read, Fonda was very attracted to him in real life. 

2 hours ago, sagebrush said:

I thought he was very handsome in FRIENDLY PERSUASION.

He was also nice looking in THE ACTRESS (1953) and THE LONELY MAN (1957). He had a substantial career as a young romantic lead in the 50s, before PSYCHO typecast him.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

From what I read, Fonda was very attracted to him in real life. 

He was also nice looking in THE ACTRESS (1953) and THE LONELY MAN (1957). He had a substantial career as a young romantic lead in the 50s, before PSYCHO typecast him.

I'd like to know what the backstory is here.  This is from On the Beach...

ON THE BEACH, 1959/ANTHONY PERKINS, FRED ASTAIRE AND GREGORY PECK, Anthony  Perkins, Fred Astaire and Gregory Peck on the set of the 1959 United  Artists production On the Beach, circa 1959 | Christie's

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

57 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

I'd like to know what the backstory is here. 

From starsandletters.blogspot.com:

"Gregory Peck, Fred Astaire and Anthony Perkins starred together in Stanley Kramer's On The Beach (1959) and during production of the film they realized they had all been leading men to Audrey Hepburn. Peck was Audrey's romantic lead in Roman Holiday (1953), Astaire in Funny Face (1957) and Perkins in Green Mansions (1959). While filming on location in Australia, the men decided to send Audrey a message via this fun picture, autographed by the three of them. I'm sure Audrey must have been thrilled to receive this."

Or possibly just as confused as the rest of us...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

Of course Anthony Perkins was considered a sex symbol-on stage/film he was a handsome, intense leading man. 

14 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

Tall Story was released in April 1960, and at that particular moment, Perkins was still regarded as a sympathetic, gentle, boy next door type in films. Psycho was released two months later. Everything changed.

Succinctly stated. I will also add when we showed PSYCHO to our daughter when she was about 17-18, she mooned over him throughout the movie saying how cute he was, and so sad he was lonely. She actually did not believe he was the killer at the end, she was so enamored with him. 

I thought this side of his acting came out very well in GOODBYE AGAIN '61. He was outstanding in it and absolutely believable as the shy, sweet lovesick younger man infatuated with Ingrid Bergman's charactor. Heartbreaking, actually.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Of course Anthony Perkins was considered a sex symbol-on stage/film he was a handsome, intense leading man. 

Succinctly stated. I will also add when we showed PSYCHO to our daughter when she was about 17-18, she mooned over him throughout the movie saying how cute he was, and so sad he was lonely. She actually did not believe he was the killer at the end, she was so enamored with him. 

I thought this side of his acting came out very well in GOODBYE AGAIN '61. He was outstanding in it and absolutely believable as the shy, sweet lovesick younger man infatuated with Ingrid Bergman's charactor. Heartbreaking, actually.

But he WASN'T the killer in PSYCHO.  His character Norman Bates was!   Remember(and remind Tiki Kid)  it's called ACTING, in a MOVIE!!!!  :angry:

But I get your daughter being enamored.  And the odd coincidence...    I've known several women drawn to actors who had marginal good looks, but they seemed adorable to them.  Like your daughter's attraction to the gay Perkins,   Or an aunt of mine's adoration of FARLEY GRANGER( also gay)  or my own wife's infatuation more recently to RUPERT  EVERETT(yep.  Gay)   It's like some intuitive female GAY-dar  that attracts them to the men, but blinds them to the sexual orientation.    And yes...

My wife's attraction to ME, with the Everett thing in mind,   was a cause for pause.  ;) 

Sepiatone

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Fausterlitz said:

From starsandletters.blogspot.com:

"Gregory Peck, Fred Astaire and Anthony Perkins starred together in Stanley Kramer's On The Beach (1959) and during production of the film they realized they had all been leading men to Audrey Hepburn. Peck was Audrey's romantic lead in Roman Holiday (1953), Astaire in Funny Face (1957) and Perkins in Green Mansions (1959). While filming on location in Australia, the men decided to send Audrey a message via this fun picture, autographed by the three of them. I'm sure Audrey must have been thrilled to receive this."

Or possibly just as confused as the rest of us...

Help for what???

• Confused 1

40 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

Br my own wife's infatuation more recently to RUPERT  EVERETT(yep.  Gay)   It's like some intuitive female GAY-dar  that attracts them to the men, but blinds them to the sexual orientation.    And yes...

My wife's attraction to ME, with the Everett thing in mind,   was a cause for pause.  ;) 

Sepiatone

A friend of mine went to the premiere of My Best Friend's Wedding many years ago, he kept saying Rupert Everett was a great actor because his character was gay and British...

• Haha 2

With regards to casting Anthony Perkins as a young college basketball player;    I assume he was cast mainly because of his height (6.2) and his acting ability.   Such young star athletes are often sex symbols regardless of their looks;  i.e.  their "status" at the school is the primary factor.

I tried to think of other actors that could have played the part:   Tony Donahue came to mind,  and he would have been a better fit;  He was the right age,  Perkins was 28,  Donahue would have been 22,  and Donahue was one inch taller at 6.3.     

Donahue  didn't have the acting ability of Perkins but the role didn't really require much in that area.

Of course Donahue had just signed a contract with Warner and Perkins was under contract with MGM.    

Fonda and Donahue would have made a cute couple.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Fausterlitz said:

Especially considering they're the ones fated to die in a post-nuclear apocalypse--shouldn't they be asking for her help??

Of the three, there's only one I'd expect any real 'help' from.  The other two will probably end up shooting each other.

• Haha 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings