Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Betty Shaefer

Aritosthenes

Wow, must confess I had no idea she was still living. That would mean she was only 22 when she was in Sunset Boulevard, which I think is the age her character tells William Holden she is. I was totally in love with her while watching this movie, which I assume is what Billy Wilder intended, only further emphasizing the tragic circumstances that keep her and Holden apaert.

• Like 1

Back during my days at working the boarding gates for Northwest Airlines at LAX (the1990s thru the early-2000s), for a while there was one lead flight attendant named Marjorie who had a turnaround flight schedule into and out of my station. The first time I met her, I was immediately struck at how much she looked like Nancy Olson. I mean she could have been her twin.

I remember telling her this once, but she had no idea who Nancy Olson was. I told her to one day check out the movie Sunset Blvd and she'd see what I meant.

Saw her again about a month later, and she told me that at my suggestion she had rented the movie to watch when she and her husband had had a few friends over for dinner, and she said as they watched it, every one of her guests had commented about how much she did indeed resemble the actress.

artworks-000373915056-hzd58j-t500x500.jp

(...Happy Birthday, Nancy)

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Back during my days at working the boarding gates for Northwest Airlines at LAX (the1990s thru the early-2000s), for a while there was one lead flight attendant named Marjorie who had a turnaround flight schedule into and out of my station. The first time I met her, I was immediately struck at how much she looked like Nancy Olson. I mean she could have been her twin.

I remember telling her this once, but she had no idea who Nancy Olson was. I told her to one day check out the movie Sunset Blvd and she'd see what I meant.

Saw her again about a month later, and she told me that at my suggestion she had rented the movie to watch when she and her husband had had a few friends over for dinner, and she said as they watched it, every one of her guests had commented about how much she did indeed resembled the actress.

Honestly .. LOVE that Story.

Thanks. !

Charming.

And SUCH a LOVELY Picture. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Saw her again about a month later, and she told me that at my suggestion she had rented the movie to watch when she and her husband had had a few friends over for dinner, and she said as they watched it, every one of her guests had commented about how much she did indeed resembled the actress.

While perhaps implied within this Really Cool Story..    to Your knowledge were They Related in Any way ?

1 minute ago, Aritosthenes said:

To Your knowledge were They Related in Any way ?

I did ask Marjorie if she might at all be related to Miss Olson and considering her great likeness to her, but she said as far as she knew, no.

(...she was based in MSP, as I recall)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dargo said:

I did ask Marjorie if she might at all be related to Miss Olson and considering her great likeness to her, but she said as far as she knew, no.

(...she was based in MSP, as I recall)

Ive Sometimes Seen Others who look like Performers and Artists who are no longer physically with Us.. As i imagine a great many of us have, on occassion(s).

Some Years ago i saw a Gentleman who looked like Buster Keaton...

Now THAT Was Weird..

Ha.

I Just Saw him in General...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Aritosthenes said:

Ive Sometimes Seen Others who look like Performers and Artists who are no longer physically with Us.. As i imagine a great many of us have, on occassion(s

True that.  

A friend of mine had a girlfriend back in the mid '70's, that later became his ex wife, and whom I'd always call "Ginny" or "Virginia" due to her close resemblance to actress VIRGINIA MAYO.  She didn't get it 'cause she had no idea who that was, and there was no such thing as renting movies for home video viewing in '77.  But mentioning it to my buddy's Mom, SHE told the girl she had always thought so too.  She was kind of insulted to hear some people though she looked like some actress from the "old times"  until the '80's and then I showed her a rented copy of  WHITE HEAT   and then sometime later THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES and then she felt more complimented.  ;)   But at that time, Ms. Mayo was still with us.

And I'll add a HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Ms. Olsen, who I first came familiar with(not in THAT way, Dargo!  ;) ) from THE ABSENT MINDED PROFESSOR.

Sepiatone

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Some years ago, The Academy of Motion Pictures  in Beverly Hills ran a series "It's Great To Be Nominated" showing films that were nominated, but did not win the Best Picture Oscar.

Their screening of "Sunset Boulevard" included the original opening scene that took place in the LA City Morgue,  not shown since 1950, as well as a different take on the New Year's Eve party scene, featuring a song entitled "The Paramount Don't Want Me Blues".  The song "Buttons and Bows" was substituted in the final cut of the film.

Nancy Olsen, was present, accompanied by  her husband, Alan Livingston, former Capitol Records executive (who is credited with the revival of Frank Sinatra's career), as well as her brother-in-law, Jay Livingston, the composer who wrote "Buttons and Bows" who appears at the piano in "Sunset".  

She was absolutely charming and most forthcoming about the making of the film.  Enjoyed this evening immensely.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

True that.  

A friend of mine had a girlfriend back in the mid '70's, that later became his ex wife, and whom I'd always call "Ginny" or "Virginia" due to her close resemblance to actress VIRGINIA MAYO.  She didn't get it 'cause she had no idea who that was, and there was no such thing as renting movies for home video viewing in '77.  But mentioning it to my buddy's Mom, SHE told the girl she had always thought so too.  She was kind of insulted to hear some people though she looked like some actress from the "old times"  until the '80's and then I showed her a rented copy of  WHITE HEAT   and then sometime later THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES and then she felt more complimented.  ;)   But at that time, Ms. Mayo was still with us.

And I'll add a HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Ms. Olsen, who I first came familiar with(not in THAT way, Dargo!  ;) ) from THE ABSENT MINDED PROFESSOR.

Sepiatone

Awesome.

And Wonderful.

• Thanks 1

On 7/14/2021 at 8:47 AM, txfilmfan said:

Still looks great.  This is from a 2020 screening of Sunset Blvd

Actress Nancy Olson attends a Q&A of the 70th Anniversary Screening of "Sunset Boulevard" at the TCL Chinese 6 Theatres on January 27, 2020 in Hollywood, California | Photo: Getty Images

No Offense Nor Dissrespect but Thank You For Dropping an Audible Pertaining to the date of said pic.

Otherwise (and again: No Dissrespect is meant); but otherwise id Call (that) b.s. how (on earth) that pic could be of an artist and performer in Her Ninties.. .

She Looks AWESOME. and LOVELY.

On 7/14/2021 at 12:25 PM, johnpressman said:

Some years ago, The Academy of Motion Pictures  in Beverly Hills ran a series "It's Great To Be Nominated" showing films that were nominated, but did not win the Best Picture Oscar.

Their screening of "Sunset Boulevard" included the original opening scene that took place in the LA City Morgue,  not shown since 1950, as well as a different take on the New Year's Eve party scene, featuring a song entitled "The Paramount Don't Want Me Blues".  The song "Buttons and Bows" was substituted in the final cut of the film.

Nancy Olsen, was present, accompanied by  her husband, Alan Livingston, former Capitol Records executive (who is credited with the revival of Frank Sinatra's career), as well as her brother-in-law, Jay Livingston, the composer who wrote "Buttons and Bows" who appears at the piano in "Sunset".  

She was absolutely charming and most forthcoming about the making of the film.  Enjoyed this evening immensely.

I have the Blu-ray of Sunset Blvd that includes the original Morgue scene where bodies under sheets are talking to each other.  Wilder changed it after a sneak preview because the audience laughed and he didn't mean for it to be funny.  And thank God he did!  It also has the deleted (or changed) "Paramount" song which, personally, I like even better as "Buttons and Bows"  in 1950 was too closely associated with Bob Hope's The Paleface (1948).  In fact, it won the Best Song Oscar.

Happy birthday to a wonderful actress!  I loved her in Sunset Boulevard.  She felt very authentic to me and I loved her playing a smart female writer.  It must have been quite an experience being in Sunset Boulevard with the caliber of talent involved and the amazing story.