Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hollywood artifact: Judy Garland's 'Wizard of Oz' dress discovered at college with her name handwritten inside

I'm assuming that's the "Faux-sepia" one she (or her body-double) wears right after the house lands, in the shot as/before she opens the door to Technicolor, hence a quick offscreen change of clothes before she goes through.

vqgb0x78ivd31.jpg

1 hour ago, EricJ said:

I'm assuming that's the "Faux-sepia" one she (or her body-double) wears right after the house lands, in the shot as/before she opens the door to Technicolor, hence a quick offscreen change of clothes before she goes through.

vqgb0x78ivd31.jpg

Sounds logical ! 😎

6 hours ago, EricJ said:

vqgb0x78ivd31.jpg

Good point, that would make sense.

I notice on the foxnews link there are 2 photos, the 2nd showing the tag with Judy Garland's name on it.  In this photo the dress pattern looks much more blue than it does in the 1st picture, so there may be something off in the first photo.  Or maybe the inside of the dress where the tag is looks different from the outside.  Also, would they need to make the blouse so yellow for the sepia scenes?  Perhaps it has discolored over time.  I wish someone in the know could explain it...

• Like 1

I think it's part of the Rush Limbaugh estate Nip, him acquiring it years ago because it was the only mic that could accommodate his way oversized blowhole.

Sepiatone

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
17 hours ago, cmovieviewer said:

Good point, that would make sense.

I notice on the foxnews link there are 2 photos, the 2nd showing the tag with Judy Garland's name on it.  In this photo the dress pattern looks much more blue than it does in the 1st picture, so there may be something off in the first photo.  Or maybe the inside of the dress where the tag is looks different from the outside.  Also, would they need to make the blouse so yellow for the sepia scenes?  Perhaps it has discolored over time.  I wish someone in the know could explain it...

Looks like discoloration with age, to me, especially after reading that it's been in an uncontrolled environment for nearly 50 years.

I've read other articles that stated they believe there were 10 of these dresses made.  In various photos of Garland wearing one, it looks like the sleeve length and puffiness varies, but it may just be how far up the sleeve is pushed, rather than a variation in the way they were made.

• Like 2

I've seen one of the original  "color" dresses and it was pinkish & blue gingham to photograph as a crisper white. I think regular blue & white gingham would photograph light/dark blue? So yes, this newly discovered dress makes sense as used for the sepia scenes like when she sings Over The Rainbow. I would guess the blouse was dyed yellow to photograph softer than a bright white and has darkened even more through the years.

• Like 2