Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Melvyn Douglas Movie

laffite

Melvyn Douglas played in a move whose kid brother fell out of a boat. What movie? I want to know who played the kid brother. If you can provide a photo of this actor, you are the best person in the world. The movie is 1949 or earlier? I have tried to research this myself but to no avail. Thank you!!!

I have a fascinating reason for wanting to know this. I will reveal it if you can help me.

I've got it. Freddie Bartholomew in Captain Courageous.

In the novel The Catcher in the Rye, a young prostitute in an hotel room tells Holden Caulfield that he looks like a young person who fell out of a boat in a movie. The young person was Melvyn Douglas' son in the movie. I thought it interesting that the author might have wanted to give an idea what his hero in the novel looked like. 

Coincidentally, there is a thread about child stars in INFORMATION initiated on June 6 wherein Freddy Bartholomew and Captain Courageous are mentioned in another vein. This was not my source of enlightenment.

12 minutes ago, laffite said:

I've got it. Freddie Bartholomew in Captain Courageous.

In the novel The Catcher in the Rye, a young prostitute in an hotel room tells Holden Caulfield that he looks like a young person who fell out of a boat in a movie. The young person was Melvyn Douglas' son in the movie. I thought it interesting that the author might have wanted to give an idea what his hero in the novel looked like. 

Coincidentally, there is a thread about child stars in INFORMATION initiated on June 6 wherein Freddy Bartholomew and Captain Courageous are mentioned in another vein. This was not my source of enlightenment.

Note in Captain Courageous the man and young man were father and son (not younger brother).     I only point this out since I wasn't sure you understood this since you initially posted "Melvyn Douglas played in a move whose kid brother fell out of a boat." 

1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Note in Captain Courageous the man and young man were father and son (not younger brother).     I only point this out since I wasn't sure you understood this since you initially posted "Melvyn Douglas played in a move whose kid brother fell out of a boat." 

Thank you for this, there is possible significance. The novel is clear that it's a brother and not a son. Of course the character (the prostitute) in the novel might be intentionally in error (by the author), and this is probably the case.  Still, I wonder if there may be another movie ... ????

From the novel ...

...then she sat down on my goddam lap. "You're cute." She made me so nervous. ...

"You look like a guy in the movies. You know, Whosis. You know who I mean. What the heck's his name?"

"I don't know," I said

"Sure you know.  He was in that pitcher with Mel-vine Douglas?  The one that was Mel-vine Douglas's kid brother? That falls off this boat? You know who I mean."

"No, I don't.  I go to the movies as seldom as I can."

14 hours ago, laffite said:

Thank you for this, there is possible significance. The novel is clear that it's a brother and not a son. Of course the character (the prostitute) in the novel might be intentionally in error (by the author), and this is probably the case.  Still, I wonder if there may be another movie ... ????

In the Tracy \ Douglas film Captain Courageous the father \ son connection (or really lack of a connection) is the entire theme of the film.

Tracy becomes a substitute father for the young man and Douglas fears he has loss the love of his son.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings