Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Every source I've found says this caricature (the gent in profile you see sitting at the table) is of Don Ameche, but I say it's supposed to be George Brent. What say you?

No, no, NOT any of these three you see here. You must click on the YouTube link to see who I'm talkin' about here. It's set to go to the exact moment in this video and in which my question is posed. It's just before Cary Grant's little shtick.

(...and btw, while the lady seated to this gent's left is supposed to be Claudette Colbert and which I can kind'a see, I couldn't find any take on who the lady is supposed to be seated to his right...I'm thinkin' maybe Norma Shearer...what say you?...Norma Shearer, right?...and George Brent NOT Don Ameche, RIGHT?!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Dargo changed the title to Every source I've found says this caricature (the gent in profile you see sitting at the table) is of Don Ameche, but I say it's supposed to be George Brent. Click on the YouTube clip. It's set up to go to the exact moment I'm talking about.

Yeah, Claudette Colbert.  Yeah, Norma Shearer.  No, not George Brent.  Or Don Ameche.  Tantillizing, but I can't place da faace.

But you do get a boatload of points for what surely must be the longest title of a thread ever in the world.

I mean, what used to be the longest title of a thread ever in the world.

• Haha 4
  • Dargo changed the title to Every source I've found says this caricature (the gent in profile you see sitting at the table) is of Don Ameche, but I say it's supposed to be George Brent. What say you?
10 minutes ago, slaytonf said:

Yeah, Claudette Colbert.  Yeah, Norma Shearer.  No, not George Brent.  Or Don Ameche.  Tantillizing, but I can't place da faace.

But you do get a boatload of points for what surely must be the longest title of a thread ever in the world.

I mean, what used to be the longest title of a thread ever in the world.

LOL

Well, you'll have to forgive me here, slayton.

You DO know that STARTING threads isn't exactly my forte around here, don't ya?!  ;)  

(...STILL say though that that IS Hibi's favorite actor...too bad he's sitting down and so we can't get a good look at this guy's, ahem, "posterior", huh...that would sure confirm my thoughts here, wouldn't it?!!!)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I can see Colbert and Shearer.  I could believe Don Ameche, he and Colbert did make a film together. Plus he was known for his Alexander Graham Bell movie.  I'm not sure if George Brent were a big enough star (pun intended?) to be in a Looney Tunes short.

1 minute ago, speedracer5 said:

I can see Colbert and Shearer.  I could believe Don Ameche, he and Colbert did make a film together. Plus he was known for his Alexander Graham Bell movie.  I'm not sure if George Brent were a big enough star (pun intended?) to be in a Looney Tunes short.

LOL

Loved the "pun intended" here. 

But actually speedy, by the time this animated short was made in 1941, Brent had been a major star for a few years. Remember, he starred in many a late-'30s A-picture during those years, and such as Jezabel (1938) and Dark Victory (1939).

(...nope, STILL say that that's supposed to be George Brent there)

11 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

I say absolutely Colbert. Unsure about the other woman. Mustache guy looks more like Brent than Amehce to me.

I'm pretty sure the other woman is Norma Shearer.  She is at a table with Adolphe Menjou.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Could it not be both? Did you ever see them in a room together?

9VkG13C.jpg

Ameche, Sample, Brent

I would say that it is much closer to Brent but the shape of the nose forces me to wonder if it might not be some other person.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
2 minutes ago, SansFin said:

LOL

No, no I haven't. And in fact, I don't think I've ever seen 'em in a movie together either. 

But then as I recall, Ameche was under contract at 20th Century Fox and Brent at Warner Bros, and so that could explain that.

(...and which now might beg the question: With this short being produced by W-B, I wonder if they had to get permission and/or pay some kind of fee to use the likenesses of the stars who were under contract at all the other studios?)

• Like 3

Actually, Dargo, to me that guy doesn't look like either Brent or Ameche but, instead Mike Romanoff, a Hollywood restaunteur and a well known character in those days who tried to pass himself off as a Russian aristocrat. I found a photo of Romanoff in profile.

http://cruiselinehistory.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Screen-shot-2011-10-24-at-5.26.54-PM.png

He's second from the left on that link.

Royal Deceiver: The Story of "Prince" Harry Gerguson | The Saturday Evening  Post

Of note, Romanoff was an outrageous tall tale teller, and would be a friend, unsurprisingly, of Errol Flynn. In fact he would be one of Flynn's pallbearers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
10 minutes ago, TomJH said:

Actually, Dargo, to me that guy doesn't look like either Brent or Ameche but, instead Mike Romanoff, a Hollywood restaunteur and a well known character in those days who tried to pass himself off as a Russian aristocrat. I found a photo of Romanoff in profile.

http://cruiselinehistory.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Screen-shot-2011-10-24-at-5.26.54-PM.png

He's second from the left on that link.

Royal Deceiver: The Story of "Prince" Harry Gerguson | The Saturday Evening  Post

Of note, Romanoff was an outrageous tall tale teller, and would be a friend, unsurprisingly, of Errol Flynn. In fact he would be one of Flynn's pallbearers.

Well Tom, I suppose there might be SLIGHT resemblance between Mr. Romanoff up there and the caricature of GEORGE BRENT in that cartoon, but I actually think because you started a thread about Errol Flynn today and thus had his old buddy on your mind already, THIS played a major a role in why you've suggested this. 

(...or in other words, nope, sorry, I'm not buying into this little theory of yours at all)  ;)

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, SansFin said:

9VkG13C.jpg

Ameche, Sample, Brent

I would say that it is much closer to Brent but the shape of the nose forces me to wonder if it might not be some other person.

I also had that thought about the cartoon Ameche's (allegedly, anyway) nose, it seemed too prominent.  I also had the thought that this caricature reminded me of Robert Taylor. 

Robert Taylor - Rotten Tomatoes

21 minutes ago, TomJH said:

Another possibility: Xavier Cugat

El Grec dedicates a great tropical night to Xavier Cugat - Archyde

YES! Now THIS I could possibly buy into. And, is something I also thought of earlier, in fact. Still say though it's more likely George Brent than Cugat here.

(...OH btw...thanks SO much for including in this pic of him a shot of one of his band's singers and ex-wives, the GORGEOUS  Miss Abbe Lane here...have had a crush on her since I was a kid...BOY she was hot and what a look she had...OH baby!!!)

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Dargo said:

YES! Now THIS I could possibly buy into. And, is something I also thought of earlier, in fact. Still say though it's more likely George Brent than Cugat here.

(...OH btw...thanks SO much for including in this pic of him a shot of one of his band's singers and ex-wives, the GORGEOUS  Miss Abby Lane here...have had a crush on her since I was a kid...BOY she was hot!!!)

JWL.gif

Xavier Cugat?!

• Haha 7
2 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I also had that thought about the cartoon Ameche's (allegedly, anyway) nose, it seemed too prominent.  I also had the thought that this caricature reminded me of Robert Taylor. 

Robert Taylor - Rotten Tomatoes

Yes, the caricature's nose is quite a bit different than Taylor's here, speedy.

(...Taylor's is definitely straighter)

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, SansFin said:

9VkG13C.jpg

Ameche, Sample, Brent

Excellent work here, Sans! Nicely done.

And, because you have to remember here that caricaturists will always exaggerate one's features when they go about their business, the idea that Brent's actual nose and the one in the cartoon aren't EXACTLY alike should not negate my claim, nor suggest it being another actor entirely.

(...right?!)

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, slaytonf said:

It's not the nose, but the hair that clinches it.  Definitely Mr. Cugat.

WAIT now slayton!

What big difference do you see between Cugat's hairline, color and style and with that of Brent's here?

I see little if any difference here, anyway. And besides, that pic of Brent that Sans posted was definitely taken when he was a mite older and his temples began to grey.

(...but HEY, at least we've apparently established that that WASN'T Don Ameche now, RIGHT?!)

• Like 1
1 minute ago, slaytonf said:

Mr. Brent's hair--(I cant' believe I'm participating in this conversation)--on the side of his head

Oh, this is just too ridiculous.

Could be WORSE ya know, slayton ol' boy.

(...yep, I could've started a thread about "motorcycles in movies" instead, and I know you would have probably found THAT even MORE ridiculous, huh?!) ;)

LOL

• Haha 1

Please don't take offense.  But the idea of scientifically analyzing hairlines in celebrities to determine the identity of a caricature in a cartoon struck me as too absurd.  But you go ahead.

So nobody is buying my Mike Romanoff suggestion. Instead some are going for Xavier Cugat. Who's the idiot that suggested him? Of all the ridiculous . . .

Oh, wait.

Never mind.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2