Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Every source I've found says this caricature (the gent in profile you see sitting at the table) is of Don Ameche, but I say it's supposed to be George Brent. What say you?

If every source says it's supposed to be Ameche, it's most likely supposed to be Ameche. I know the internet is a great place to compound errors, but in this case, it makes more sense for it to be Ameche since he and Claudette had recently made a movie together. 

The drawing looks as much like Ameche as this looks like Garbo.  

garbo-harpo.jpg

Not getting the Cougat thing at all. What did he have to do with Claudette?  And wouldn't he be satirized for his accent or shown doing something musical? 

• Like 2
30 minutes ago, LuckyDan said:

If every source says it's supposed to be Ameche, it's most likely supposed to be Ameche. I know the internet is a great place to compound errors, but in this case, it makes more sense for it to be Ameche since he and Claudette had recently made a movie together. 

The drawing looks as much like Ameche as this looks like Garbo.  

Not getting the Cougat thing at all. What did he have to do with Claudette?  And wouldn't he be satirized for his accent or shown doing something musical? 

Yep, and yet another reason, and while I admit there IS a little resemblence between said caricature and Cugat, I also don't believe it's supposed to be him. You'd think if the boy's at Termite Terrace had been caricaturizing him, he would've been shown in some musical capacity within it.

And Dan, first, I think that caricature of Garbo while not being at all flattering, DOES look like, And secondly, sorry, but I also say that the people responsible within these sources for identifying this caricature as "Don Ameche" could be wrong, and regardless whatever "expertise" they might claim to have.

Too bad the aforementioned "boys at Termite Terrace" are all long gone now in order to get some sort of confirmation to this "most pressing matter" (LOL) as to who that was actually supposed to be.

(...still say it's supposed to be George Brent, though)

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

DON had a prominent nose. 

Don_Ameche_1964.JPGDonAmeche.jpg

BUT, Ameche's nose did not have any "hook" to it and as does the gent in the cartoon. Notice how straight it flows down from his brow?

(..nope, I don't think the aforementioned "boys at Termite Terrace" wouldn't drawn him with that kind of nose, and especially in profile, IF it was supposed to be a caricature of Ameche)

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, SansFin said:

I am reasonably certain that: TomJH is correct that it is: Xavier Cugat. The hump of the nose, the hairline and especially how the mustache and lips meet the nasolabial furrow. 

Sorry Sans, but I still see as many features of Brent's in that drawing as I do of Cugat's.

(...and now please excuse me as I scroll back up for a minute to get another viewing of that babe Abbe Lane...MAN, she was hot!!!)  

• Haha 2
2 hours ago, SansFin said:

I am reasonably certain that: TomJH is correct that it is: Xavier Cugat. The hump of the nose, the hairline and especially how the mustache and lips meet the nasolabial furrow. 

Look at a list of Cugat's film appearances up to 1940. Sparse.

Very unlikely he would be a subject for lampooning in the same frame as Colbert, Grant and other very recognizable movie actors, of which he wasn't even. 

Isn't it possible it's just not a good likeness of it's intended subject, which would most likely be a recent co-star of Colbert? 

Definitely not Brent, and I don't think it's Ameche. I agree with Speedy that it could be Robert Taylor. But one thing I'm sure of: The music over that segment is from One Way Passage (1932).

• Like 3
10 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I also had that thought about the cartoon Ameche's (allegedly, anyway) nose, it seemed too prominent.  I also had the thought that this caricature reminded me of Robert Taylor. 

Robert Taylor - Rotten Tomatoes

18 minutes ago, Swithin said:

Definitely not Brent, and I don't think it's Ameche. I agree with Speedy that it could be Robert Taylor. But one thing I'm sure of: The music over that segment is from One Way Passage (1932).

Xavier Cugat & His Orchestra lineup, biography | Last.fm

"Robert Taylor? Pleeeeze! Peoples tell me, "Cugie, you look so drawn." Now when it really happens you don't know me."

• Like 1
12 hours ago, SansFin said:

Could it not be both? Did you ever see them in a room together?

9VkG13C.jpg

Ameche, Sample, Brent

I would say that it is much closer to Brent but the shape of the nose forces me to wonder if it might not be some other person.

Hhhmmpphh! It's NOT me! No way did I have a schnozz like that!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
13 hours ago, Dargo said:

and George Brent NOT Don Ameche, RIGHT?!

It looks more like George Brent to me. In the later scene where there is a bunch of guys ogling the bubble dancer, I thought I saw Don Ameche among them. But I have read that they are William Powell ( I can see that), Spencer Tracy (definitely) , Ronald Colman and Errol Flynn (I thought one them might be Ameche).

• Like 1

Re these added suggestions of it possibly being either Ronald Colman, Cesar Romero or Clark Gable.

All three of these actors are depicted in a separate scene in this short, and the manner in which they're all drawn is completely different than how is the subject of this question.

(...sorry, still say it's Brent here, folks)

• Like 1
7 hours ago, LuckyDan said:

Look at a list of Cugat's film appearances up to 1940. Sparse.

Very unlikely he would be a subject for lampooning in the same frame as Colbert, Grant and other very recognizable movie actors, of which he wasn't even. 

Isn't it possible it's just not a good likeness of it's intended subject, which would most likely be a recent co-star of Colbert? 

Yep, there's that.  And cartoon or not, if Cugat was to be caricatured  in a Warner's cartoon of this type, he'd probably be seen on the BANDSTAND, directing his musicians, not seated at a table a Ciro's hobnobbing with the big name "stars".   

And your idea Dan, of Colbert being seated with a recent co-star is sound.  And it being 1941 would be throwing BRIAN AHERN into the fray.  (SKYLARK, '41).  ;) 

Sepiatone

27 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Hhhmmpphh! It's NOT me! No way did I have a schnozz like that!

Like I said earlier to Sans here Hibi, when caricaturists go about their art, they will always exaggerate certain aspects of their subject's appearance, and I think this what happened with this drawning of George Brent and his nose, as every other feature depicted of him here such as, and as Lorna mentioned the eyebrows, say George Brent.

(...yep, I'm holding fast to my "Brent Theory" here, folks)

• Like 1

The cartoon is from 1941. Colbert and Ameche starred together in Midnight in 1939. That might be a reason for putting them at the same table. But the guy looks more like George Brent to me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

At the 6:18 point, in the group of six men, there's someone who looks more like Ameche than the photo in question (though it could be David Niven).  He's just behind C. Aubrey Smith. 

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Swithin said:

At the 6:18 point, in the group of six men, there's someone who looks more like Ameche than the photo in question (though it could be David Niven).  He's just behind C. Aubrey Smith. 

Sequence+14.00_00_28_01.Still296.png

Supposed to be: William Powell, Spencer Tracy, Ronald Colman, Errol Flynn (top row); Noah Beery, C. Aubrey Smith (bottom row).

• Like 5