Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Every source I've found says this caricature (the gent in profile you see sitting at the table) is of Don Ameche, but I say it's supposed to be George Brent. What say you?

i REALLY GET MORE OF A LIZA MINELLI AT STUDIO 54 VIBE FROM CLAUDETTE, BUT...

PS- THAT BACKGROUND WORK IS EXQUISITE THOUGH

PSS- THERE WERE NO FEMALE ANIMATORS WORKING ON THIS. NO WOMAN IN HER RIGHT MIND (or not working the streets for money) WOULD WEAR THAT EYESHADOW in 1941.

See the source image

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

HENRY FONDA AFTER A SUDDEN AND STARTLING DROP IN THE CABIN AIR PRESSURE IN THE MOVIE "AIRPLANE!"

I'm less offended at seeing Nixon identified as Fonda, than I am at seeing Airplane II: the Sequel identified as the first Airplane.  😡

47 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

PSS- THERE WERE NO FEMALE ANIMATORS WORKING ON THIS. NO WOMAN IN HER RIGHT MIND (or not working the streets for money) WOULD WEAR THAT EYESHADOW in 1941.

See the source image

Looking at Claudette in that frame I noticed her sort of Julius Caesar bangs (fashionable with men in the late 1990s, some may recall) and I thought of her as Cleopatra. A co-star there was Warren William. He had a kind of Roman nose. Maybe he is the dinner companion. 

img782.jpg

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, EricJ said:

I'm less offended at seeing Nixon identified as Fonda, than I am at seeing Airplane II: the Sequel identified as the first Airplane.  😡

Look,

MY MOMMA DIDN'T RAISE NO DUMMIES. I DIG YO RAP BUT CUT ME SOME SLACK, JACK.

Shee IT.

PS- Yes, I know that exchange is from the first AIRPLANE! I honestly consider them one entire film, interchangeable and fluid.

pss- also I am aware of the existence of RICHARD NIXON and even THE RICHARD NIXON MASK, the GROUCHO GLASSES of the 1970s, if you will.

8 minutes ago, LuckyDan said:

Looking at Claudette in that frame I noticed her sort of Julius Caesar bangs (fashionable with men in the late 1990s, some may recall) and I thought of her as Cleopatra. A co-star there was Warren William. He had a kind of Roman nose. Maybe he is the dinner companion. 

img782.jpg

I can see that! Although WARREN WILLIAM had really slid down the ladder by 1941- he was doing two-minute bit-parts like THE WOLF MAN almost as an in-joke.

• Like 1
Just now, LornaHansonForbes said:

I can see that! Although WARREN WILLIAM had really slid down the ladder by 1941- he was doing two-minute bit-parts like THE WOLF MAN almost as an in-joke.

Yes true but I'm thinking the animators felt like they had to put someone at the table with Claudette, why not a co star? And since the disqualifier for Ameche seems to be that damn nose ... 

• Thanks 1

Then another possibility is that it's an inside joke. The guy could be one of the animators. I saw somewhere that the Merrie Melodies big guys, Leon Schlesinger and somebody else, are depicted. 

I looked at a pic of Tex Avery. No match there. Jack Warner was bald. I don't know, but I am now leaning toward that theory.  An inside joke. 

2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

See the source image

I love this short.  I thought the animation was gorgeous, though some of the caricatures were rather grotesque; but some were pretty funny.  Claudette and Norma must have visited the same beautician before hitting up Ciro's that evening.  I find it hard to believe that either Claudette or Norma would wear violet eyeshadow like that (at first I wrote "violent eyeshadow" and considered keeping it).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
8 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

They look like NEW WAVE GROUPIES. 

Completely off-topic, or maybe on-topic in regard to groupies... Right now, I am in the process of trying to create an Alan-A-Dale (from Disney's Robin Hood) costume for the Disneyland Halloween party in October.  I've gotten to the point where I'm inquiring about custom Alan-A-Dale inspired Minnie ears... I just flipped back to this conversation and thought: "Lorna might enjoy that I'm trying to create a rooster costume (no-fuss however, because I want to get through security quickly and ride rides) with rooster-inspired Minnie ears."

Alan-A-Dale probably has his own groupies, right? He's kind of new wave in his own way in Sherwood Forest.

38 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Alan-A-Dale probably has his own groupies, right? He's kind of new wave in his own way in Sherwood Forest.

Yeah, the minstrel roosters get all the chicks. 

Personally, I think the mouse ears would distract from the costume and you should just go for as pure a rendition as you can.

ps- what made you choose him? 

pss- He reminds me a little of the “Foghorn leghorn” episode where the rockabilly jr. rooster moves in and starts putting the moves on all of foghorns lady friends.

8 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Yeah, the minstrel roosters get all the chicks. 

Personally, I think the mouse ears would distract from the costume and you should just go for as pure a rendition as you can.

ps- what made you choose him? 

pss- He reminds me a little of the “Foghorn leghorn” episode where the rockabilly jr. rooster moves in and starts putting the moves on all of foghorns lady friends.

Lol.  It is oddly difficult to find a rooster comb headband or something online.  I was on Etsy.  All anyone seems to have is like a full chicken head--which I don't want.  We'll see.  I didn't want to carry around a mandolin, so I ordered a bag with a picture of a mandolin screen printed on the front. It's functional and works with my costume.  I have absolutely zero crafting/art skills, so I need to order the pieces of my costume and have the more artistically gifted people make it for me. 

I feel like Disney's Robin Hood is the second best rendition of Robin Hood and one of Disney's underrated films.  I wanted to represent at the party.  I picked Alan-A-Dale because I like how he narrates the film throughout via his songs and I like his character.  And I like birds.

Lol.  I think I remember that Foghorn Leghorn episode, but I haven't seen it in a long time.

10 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

their HENRY FONDA is terrible tho- they have to include an offscreen JANE DARWELL so that you recognize who it's supposed to be.

(and I almost wonder if they got JIMMY STEWART to do the JIMMY STEWART voice)

Actually Lorna, the Henry Fonda segment and where you hear the off-screen sound of a women's voice calling out his name, isn't a take on Jane Darwell playing his mother in The Grapes of Wrath, but instead was a spoof on a popular radio sitcom at the time titled "The Aldrich Family" and which in turn would prompt a series of B-movies being made of it from 1939-1944. Every radio episode and movie contained what would become a well known catchphrase of its time that entailed Mother Aldrich calling out, "Hen-REEEEEEE! Hen-ree Al-drich" and with her teenage son Henry then replying, "Coming, Mother!"

That's what that was all about.

(...and btw, I actually think Fonda's likeness in this is well done)

• Like 2
4 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

JOAN CRAWFORD:

See the source image

LOL

OR perhaps Ruby Keeler???

(...well, SHE danced just like that TOO, now didn't she?!!!)  

• Haha 2

Hollywood Steps Out | Explore Tumblr Posts and Blogs | Tumgir

I love this part when Harpo lights the little firework under Greta Garbo's enormous feet and she just goes: "ouuuuuuch." 

And the caricature of Clark Gable cracks me up:

Hollywood Steps Out (Short 1941) - IMDb

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Dargo said:

LOL

OR perhaps Ruby Keeler???

(...well, SHE danced just like that TOO, now didn't she?!!!)  

Ruby Keeler does dance like she had boxes on her feet! So does Joan for that matter, but thankfully we were only subjected to her dancing in Dancing Lady.... I think.  If there are other Joan dancing movies, I don't know about them...mercifully.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, LuckyDan said:

Then another possibility is that it's an inside joke. The guy could be one of the animators. I saw somewhere that the Merrie Melodies big guys, Leon Schlesinger and somebody else, are depicted. 

I looked at a pic of Tex Avery. No match there. Jack Warner was bald. I don't know, but I am now leaning toward that theory.  An inside joke. 

Yep Dan, the guy sitting with Leon Schlesinger was indeed another Termite Terrace denizen. His name was Henry Binder. He was one of the producers at the W-B animation department. He too was used as an inside joke by the cartoonists of this short, and which wasn't the only time his staff of cartoonists would insert his caricature into one of their productions...

Henry Binder | Looney Tunes Wiki | Fandom

Btw here, folks. Ya know what this thread needs now?

Yep! You guessed it! Well, if you've been around these here parts long enough to remember them, anyway.

Yep, one of Rich's (scsu1975) classic "Poll" posts! 

(...think I'll PM the guy right now and tell him his services are required here)

30 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Btw here, folks. Ya know what this thread needs now?

Yep! You guessed it! Well, if you've been around these here parts long enough to remember them, anyway.

Yep, one of Rich's (scsu1975) classic "Poll" posts! 

(...think I'll PM the guy right now and tell him his services are required here)

3574_1016124012.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

For those who know the Paulette Goddard/Anatole Litvak under-the-table-at-Ciro's story, which I am guessing would have happened by the time the cartoon came out, I offer Litvak as a candidate. (If you don't know the story, many versions are available online.)

Putting Litvak at the table would be a deft way for Merrie Melodies to acknowledge the legend for those who can spot it.

And, Litvak has the (ahem) nose for it. 

photogoddardlitvak.jpg

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, LuckyDan said:

For those who know the Paulette Goddard/Anatole Litvak under-the-table-at-Ciro's story, which I am guessing would have happened by the time the cartoon came out, I offer Litvak as a candidate. (If you don't know the story, many versions are available online.)

Putting Litvak at the table would be a deft way for Merrie Melodies to acknowledge the legend for those who can spot it.

And, Litvak has the (ahem) nose for it. 

photogoddardlitvak.jpg

Sorry to say I don't know this story, Dan. However, it sounds pretty juicy, and so I'll check it out on the net.

(...oh, and also sorry to say because the hair and the eyebrows especially don't look anything like our cartoon "mystery man" here, I have zero confidence in your guess here)

42 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Sorry to say I don't know this story, Dan. However, it sounds pretty juicy, and so I'll check it out on the net.

(...oh, and also sorry to say because the hair and the eyebrows especially don't look anything like our cartoon "mystery man" here, I have zero confidence in your guess here)

There are many versions of the story. Some say only Anatole went under the table. Some say only Paulette. Some say both. George Schlatter told Christopher Hitchens that he was there. Hitch wrote in Vanity Fair:

". . . George was in Ciro’s on the night of the Paulette Goddard—Anatole Litvak scandale. 'If you believe the thousands of people who say they saw it, she sank beneath the table and he stayed upright and grinning.' "

With that in mind, watch the scene again. 

I think I've found our mystery diner. 

Edit: More specifically, I think I have identified who the cartoon character, slightly disguised. is a stand-in for. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, LuckyDan said:

There are many versions of the story. Some say only Anatole went under the table. Some say only Paulette. Some say both. George Schlatter told Christopher Hitchens that he was there. Hitch wrote in Vanity Fair:

". . . George was in Ciro’s on the night of the Paulette Goddard—Anatole Litvak scandale. 'If you believe the thousands of people who say they saw it, she sank beneath the table and he stayed upright and grinning.' "

With that in mind, watch the scene again. 

I think I've found our mystery diner. 

Was this before or after Litvak’s marriage to Miriam Hopkins? o.O