Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Every source I've found says this caricature (the gent in profile you see sitting at the table) is of Don Ameche, but I say it's supposed to be George Brent. What say you?

Dargo

3 minutes ago, Citizen Ed said:

Nose silhouettes, hair partings, Wikipedia entries, reissues/originals.

We're getting close to Trekkies debating warp nacelle placements.

ūüėČūüėā

LOL

Good analogy here, Ed!

(...yeah, it does, doesn't it)

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

I'm still(like a dog with a bone) holding out for THIS guy.  Scope some of the profile shots and recall his co-starring with Colbert in a 1941 movie, who is supposedly the woman the man in the cartoon is sitting with, and.....  remember too, the cartoon IS more or less a CARICATURE!

Sepiatone

I don't think it was supposed to be Aherne here Sepia, and because the caricature implies the man is of more heft than the much thinner and more angular faced Aherne was.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Dargo said:

LOL

Good analogy here, Ed!

(...yeah, it does, doesn't it)

At least we don't have the MGM fans  tossing in their two cents that it doesn't matter because Tom and Jerry could kick Elmer's Fudd.

(That would be the Star War(rior)s equivalent)

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

Yep, really, and for the reason I gave you above.

I also think if it WERE supposed to be Aherne, the caricature would have been drawn more like that of how Ronald Colman and Errol Flynn's were drawn in this cartoon, and by exaggerating those long straight noses of theirs.

(...and like how Aherne's nose was)

• Like 1

Not sure if anyone mentioned this (or noticed this), but the guy on the right is Leon Schlesinger. Not sure about the guy on the left ... but it is not Don Ameche, George Brent, Xavier Cugat, or Tor Johnson:

SeP9jWB.png

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, scsu1975 said:

Not sure if anyone mentioned this (or noticed this), but the guy on the right is Leon Schlesinger. Not sure about the guy on the left ... but it is not Don Ameche, George Brent, Xavier Cugat, or Tor Johnson:

SeP9jWB.png

Rudy Vallee?

edit: oops no.  Rudy Vallee is a dead ringer, but that is Henry Binder, of Leon Schlesinger studios.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

edit: oops no.  Rudy Vallee is a dead ringer, but that is Henry Binder, of Leon Schlesinger studios.

The one usually drawn in pointy-haired caricature--Kidding the bosses was a frequent gag at Termite Terrace:

11thumb.jpg

• Like 1

This is Clarence Wilson, character actor as seen here playing the twitchy-eyed banker in "You Can't Take It With You", and apparently at least for that fuzzy image, Fritz Freleng's doppelganger.¬† Okay well maybe not...¬† ūüėĀ¬† But honestly, that cartoon looked just like Rudy Vallee, even morso than Henry Binder.¬† Let alone the prior one looking like Brent, Flynn, or Aherne.¬† See how this works? :D

https://moviecollectoroh.com/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/clarence-wilson.jpg

Here is another potential picture of Henry Binder, in the rear.  See, nothing like the cartoon.  Actually I am not even sure that is really him, but let's play along and say it is.  See?  Nothing like him.

https://moviecollectoroh.com/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/schlessinger.png

Enough of me and my crap.  Here is what you really want.

And if you don't like that, here's some Eric Carmen.  All the way from Cleveland.

With old friends

• Like 2

20 hours ago, scsu1975 said:

SeP9jWB.png

Wasn't that Spencer Tracy? I saw him somewhere.

20 hours ago, scsu1975 said:

SeP9jWB.png

The guy on the left looks like Spencer Tracy as Mr. Hyde.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Dargo said:

Yep, really, and for the reason I gave you above.

I also think if it WERE supposed to be Aherne, the caricature would have been drawn more like that of how Ronald Colman and Errol Flynn's were drawn in this cartoon, and by exaggerating those long straight noses of theirs.

(...and like how Aherne's nose was)

Ah, well, looking them both over I only notice Aherne's nose being a bit thinner,  but not really straighter than Brent's.  And too, since the caricature was a profile, AND a caricature, chances are the nose really doesn't resemble either person's.   And both Flynn's and Colman's caricature's weren't really profiles.    But at least we can agree on one thing....

It SURE AS HELL isn't Ameche! 

Sepiatone

• Like 2

So in an effort to satisfy my curiosity, under the guise of working overtime (pfft), I stayed late at work last night to try and definitively determine just who the brothers Warner were lampooning. After the majority of my co-workers had left for home I went into John Robie mode and snuck (sneaked?, snook?) back into the lab and reprogrammed the Micro-Vu Versamatic 251c vision system to analyze and measure the various characteristics such as nose length, shape and angle, chin and cheekbone structure, hair style including where parted, shoulder width, eyebrow thickness, amount and style of facial hair along with a bunch of other minutiae that seemed sorta relevant at the time, of the caricature in question  and compare it to photos and film clips of stars from the era. I naturally edited it to exclude the obvious non-contenders such as Vivian Leigh (gender), Lassie (species), anyone deceased more than two months (decomposition), and me (lack of screen appearance).  After the imbibing of many refreshing ice cold Coca-Colas the results finally came in and let me tell you they were shocking to say the least!

The final scientific results show that there's a pretty good chance that the character shown is actually...

John damn Carradine wearing a George Brent mask imitating Xavier Cugat! ūüė≤

Wow! I don't know about you but I didn't see that one coming! 

Unfortunately as I said there was much consuming of soft drinks so I wasn't able to return the equipment back to it's original status before the loo beckoned me. I bet those guys were surprised by the test results of their endoscopic surgical parts this morning! 

Now if you'll excuse me, I've got to go sneakily see about erasing some security camera footage.

• Haha 4

15 hours ago, Citizen Ed said:

So in an effort to satisfy my curiosity, under the guise of working overtime (pfft), I stayed late at work last night to try and definitively determine just who the brothers Warner were lampooning. After the majority of my co-workers had left for home I went into John Robie mode and snuck (sneaked?, snook?) back into the lab and reprogrammed the Micro-Vu Versamatic 251c vision system to analyze and measure the various characteristics such as nose length, shape and angle, chin and cheekbone structure, hair style including where parted, shoulder width, eyebrow thickness, amount and style of facial hair along with a bunch of other minutiae that seemed sorta relevant at the time, of the caricature in question  and compare it to photos and film clips of stars from the era. I naturally edited it to exclude the obvious non-contenders such as Vivian Leigh (gender), Lassie (species), anyone deceased more than two months (decomposition), and me (lack of screen appearance).  After the imbibing of many refreshing ice cold Coca-Colas the results finally came in and let me tell you they were shocking to say the least!

The final scientific results show that there's a pretty good chance that the character shown is actually...

John damn Carradine wearing a George Brent mask imitating Xavier Cugat! ūüė≤

Wow! I don't know about you but I didn't see that one coming! 

Unfortunately as I said there was much consuming of soft drinks so I wasn't able to return the equipment back to it's original status before the loo beckoned me. I bet those guys were surprised by the test results of their endoscopic surgical parts this morning! 

Now if you'll excuse me, I've got to go sneakily see about erasing some security camera footage.

Sometimes, if you look really carefully, you can see the bottom edge of his mask move up and down as the good doc is talking.  Just above the windsor knot in his tie.

In his movies, I think I have only seen him hold one chihuahua, but here are two chihuahuas for you.

https://moviecollectoroh.com/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/Xavier-Cugat-1-.jpg

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Hibi said:

Wasn't that Spencer Tracy? I saw him somewhere.

Yep, you saw Spence alright Hibi, but he's in this grouping of movie stars. He's second from the left on the top row and standing between William Powell and Ronald Colman...

hollywoodsteps.jpg?resize=800,600

(...and yes MCOH...the caricature of Henry Binder DOES look a lot like Rudy Vallee, alright)

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Yep, you saw Spence alright Hibi, but he's in this grouping of movie stars. He's second from the left on the top row and standing between William Powell and Ronald Colman...

(...and yes MCOH...the caricature of Henry Binder DOES look a lot like Rudy Vallee, alright)

They even got Powell’s bulbous Adam’s apple. 
I think their C. Aubrey Smith is a little too virile looking though,

(Although if he heard me say that I’m sure C. Aubrey would challenge me to some bareknuckle fisticuffs or whip out his blunderbuss or something....)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dargo said:

It's this crew that makes me think that first guy probably looks quite a bit like the target, whoever that is. The schnoz is key so unless someone better comes along  . . 

JPG

2 hours ago, Dargo said:

Thats Tracy?? Looks like Kirk Douglas LOL

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

They even got Powell’s bulbous Adam’s apple. 
I think their C. Aubrey Smith is a little too virile looking though,

(Although if he heard me say that I’m sure C. Aubrey would challenge me to some bareknuckle fisticuffs or whip out his blunderbuss or something....)

Actually Lorna, I think that that's supposed to be Bill's chin, not his Adam's apple.

• Like 1

On 7/19/2021 at 2:08 PM, scsu1975 said:

but the guy on the right is Leon Schlesinger.

Oh I gotta chime in with my favorite Leon Schlesinger story:

Apparently Schlesinger had such a thick lisp, he would actually spit while talking when excited or angry. Daffy Duck was patterned after Schlesinger and Mel Blank obviously imitated him with the voice charactorization. Everyone was cringing in their seats during Schlesinger's fist viewing of the cartoon, just waiting for sparks to fly. When the lights went up afterwards, Schlesinger, laughing said, "Jethuth Chrith, that'th a funny voith!"

14 hours ago, Moe Howard said:

JPG

The above is a Hirschfeld drawing ^^^

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Dargo said:

I had no idea Wally Beery was so rosy cheeked. Either that or he's got a big zit about to pop.

I would never in a million years have known that guy between Tracy and Flynn was supposed to be Ronald Colman. At least I can recognize all the others.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1