Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A day in the life of an old classic movie buff...OR, when you know your cultural references have grown whiskers.


Dargo
 Share

Recommended Posts

Took two people down from Sedona here today for the two hour shuttle van drive to catch their flights out of Phoenix's Sky Harbor.

After I dropped them off, I called the office and at which time they advised me that my one lone scheduled inbound passenger's flight had been delayed by a couple of hour, and so they said to just come on back empty.  Started to do just that, but then decided to stop into the local Costco near the airport and grab a couple of things I've been needing. 

After I walked into the place and as I was passing through an aisle containing menswear, suddenly the sound of an alarm with a fast-paced high-pitched oscillating sound rang out from somewhere near the back wall of the store and which could be heard by all. After about five seconds of hearing this, I just couldn't resist yelling out in as loud a voice as I could muster, "RUN FOR YOUR LIVES! THE GIANT ANTS ARE HERE!"

Yep, that alarm sounded JUST like THIS...

Now, I heard one guy, that's right, only ONE single solitary guy from a couple of aisles away laugh out loud at this, but THEN noticed that everyone within a twenty foot radius, about half a dozen people and none of which looked any older than about forty, were just staring at me and had a look on their faces as if to say "What the hell is this guy talking about?!" It was then that that alarm ceased sounding, and so I just threw up my hands and loudly said, "Sorry folks. False alarm, I guess", and continued on with my shopping.

(...epilogue: After paying for my new shirt and my bundle of microfiber shop rags, I stopped by their little snack bar and got me one of their tasty foot-long hot dogs and a Pepsi...not a bad deal for only a buck and a half, right?!)

  • Like 3
  • Haha 12
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dargo said:

Took two people down from Sedona here today for the two hour shuttle van drive to catch their flights out of Phoenix's Sky Harbor.

After I dropped them off, I called the office and at which time they advised me that my one lone scheduled inbound passenger's flight had been delayed by a couple of hour, and so they said to just come on back empty.  Started to do just that, but then decided to stop into the local CostCo near the airport and grab a couple of things I've been needing. 

After I walked into the place and as I was passing through an aisle containing menswear, suddenly the sound of an alarm with a fast-paced high and then low and then high and then low again pitched oscillating sound rang out from somewhere near the back wall of the store and which could be heard by all. After about five seconds of hearing this, I just couldn't resist yelling out in as loud a voice as I could muster, "RUN FOR YOUR LIVES! THE GIANT ANTS ARE HERE!"

Yep, that alarm sounded JUST like THIS...

Now, I heard one guy, that's right, only ONE single solitary guy from a couple of aisles away laugh out loud at this, but THEN noticed that everyone within a twenty foot radius, about half a dozen people and none of which looked any older than about forty, stared at me and had a look on their faces as if saying "What the hell is this guy talking about?!" It was then that that alarm ceased sounding, and so I just threw up my hands and loudly said, "Sorry folks. False alarm, I guess", and continued on with my shopping.

(...epilogue: After paying for my new shirt and my bundle of microfiber shop rags, I stopped by their little snack bar and got me one of their tasty foot-long hot dogs and a Pepsi...not a bad deal for only a buck and a half, right?!)

 

Thats a Good Laugh right there.

 

 

Im Additionally Relieved there werent any Uncles

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Dargo said:

Took two people down from Sedona here today for the two hour shuttle van drive to catch their flights out of Phoenix's Sky Harbor.

After I dropped them off, I called the office and at which time they advised me that my one lone scheduled inbound passenger's flight had been delayed by a couple of hour, and so they said to just come on back empty.  Started to do just that, but then decided to stop into the local CostCo near the airport and grab a couple of things I've been needing. 

After I walked into the place and as I was passing through an aisle containing menswear, suddenly the sound of an alarm with a fast-paced high and then low and then high and then low again pitched oscillating sound rang out from somewhere near the back wall of the store and which could be heard by all. After about five seconds of hearing this, I just couldn't resist yelling out in as loud a voice as I could muster, "RUN FOR YOUR LIVES! THE GIANT ANTS ARE HERE!"

Yep, that alarm sounded JUST like THIS...

Now, I heard one guy, that's right, only ONE single solitary guy from a couple of aisles away laugh out loud at this, but THEN noticed that everyone within a twenty foot radius, about half a dozen people and none of which looked any older than about forty, stared at me and had a look on their faces as if saying "What the hell is this guy talking about?!" It was then that that alarm ceased sounding, and so I just threw up my hands and loudly said, "Sorry folks. False alarm, I guess", and continued on with my shopping.

(...epilogue: After paying for my new shirt and my bundle of microfiber shop rags, I stopped by their little snack bar and got me one of their tasty foot-long hot dogs and a Pepsi...not a bad deal for only a buck and a half, right?!)

 

That would get me laughing, LMFAO.  That's just funny as hell.  But I tend to be that way.  Sedona is a ways away though, so you'll just have to take my word for it.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Dargo said:

I stopped by their little snack bar and got me one of their tasty foot-long hot dogs and a Pepsi...not a bad deal for only a buck and a half, right?!)

This jumped out at me more than any other part of the story. It would be entirely impossible to do this at any place of business in the entire state of Texas, I'm quite sure. Four bucks, maybe, if it was a 50 per cent off day.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

This jumped out at me more than any other part of the story. It would be entirely impossible to do this at any place of business in the entire state of Texas, I'm quite sure. Four bucks, maybe, if it was a 50 per cent off day.

Interesting, sewhite. And here I would've thought the price of Costco's foot-long  hot dog and Pepsi deal at their snack bars and regardless where in this country you might be talkin' about, would be the same price of a buck and a half.

(...I know it's that at all Costco locations in both Arizona and California, anyway)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Dargo said:

(...I know it's that at all Costco locations in both Arizona and California, anyway)

I don't know what the price is up here. I've never stopped by the snack bar, but the line is longer than the line for gas.  I suppose there's a sweet irony there somewhere. 

The Great State of Texas has Costcos so assume their snack bars are equally popular. 🌭😋💦

 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Moe Howard said:

I don't know what the price is up here. I've never stopped by the snack bar, but the line is longer than the line for gas.  I suppose there's a sweet irony there somewhere. 

The Great State of Texas has Costcos so assume their snack bars are equally popular. 🌭😋💦

 

Yes, maybe so Moe, but I ALSO understand that there's a movement afloat presently in the great state of Texas that'll make some of the lines people stand in down there even longer! Depending of course for what purpose they're standing in line for.

Maybe you've heard this too?!  ;)

Although of course, if they're lucky these proposed new laws might not affect the lines people stand in to get hot dogs down there.

(...HEY! it's MY thread here, RIGHT?!...and IF I wanna "go here", I'll GO here, people!!!)

LOL

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Dargo said:

. . . 

 that'll make some of the lines people stand in down there even longer! 

You're quite right. It could likewise effect lines for Bratwurst, Knockwurst and heaven forbid, even Polish Sausage. 

Hopefully this will not result is a mass exodus BACK to blue states of all those tax refugees who are currently enjoying Texas's conservative fiscal policy.

Is that what you were alluding to?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Moe Howard said:

You're quite right. It could likewise effect lines for Bratwurst, Knockwurst and heaven forbid, even Polish Sausage. 

Hopefully this will not result is a mass exodus BACK to blue states of all those tax refugees who are currently enjoying Texas's conservative fiscal policy.

Is that what you were alluding to?

LOL

Yeah! Well, kind'a I guess.

BUT perhaps REALLY more the thought that making more people "stand in lines" to perform some functions isn't really conducive to the idea of, say, "freedom of choice" and/or if say, they want a hot dog or NOT?!

(...although AGAIN, perhaps we should reconcentrate our collective thoughts in this thread back to why people and regardless of where they might live in this great country of ours seem unfamilar with certain cultural touchstones, and before this baby REALLY goes off the rails here!)  ;)

 

 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Dargo said:

freedom of choice" and/or if say, they want a hot dog or NOT?!

OK I'm sorry. Why are they in line at Costco if they do not want a bun wrapped tube of deliciousness? I mean they had to show their ID to get in so . . .  

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Dargo said:

And here I would've thought the price of Costco's foot-long  hot dog and Pepsi deal at their snack bars and regardless where in this country you might be talkin' about, would be the same price of a buck and a half.

Greetings from DFW. Yep, buck-fifty for a dog and a pop.  And sure, go ahead and go there. What a cluster........oh look!........grapes!

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Okay, I give up. What was the actual alarm you heard. I ask this because i am quite sure that was no ant attack. Oh, the exit alarm when someone may be stealing something. Good show, laffite, but you're slow. I saw the movie on a Saturday afternoon one day in the 50s. The only thing I remember is Edmund Gwynn, who played a scientist, announcing the last of the great ants, infants they were huddled all together and vulnerable as all get out, just before the ant-fighters fire hosed them incinerating THEM to extinction. Boy, Dargo, you must be an extrovert. I don't think I could have done that. My only claim to fame in that regard was a loud MUHAHAHAHAHAH during a scary movie in that same theater. I was sitting in the third row and the manager actually came all the way down and proceeded to eject me from the premises. But I was still pretty young then and have always wondered how I got the wherewithal to do that. I couldn't do that today, i am a complete coward.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, SansFin said:

Would you consider it a bewhiskered reference also when a particularly bright flash of lightning and crack of thunder is heralded by a person shouting: "It's alive! It's alive!"?

Well Sans, considering your reference here first goes back over two decades BEFORE those giant ants terrorized The City of Angels, nope, I'd consider it having even longer whiskers. 

(...however, IF instead you might be referencing that funny spoof of this reference that Mel Brooks filmed a couple of decades AFTER the aformentioned giant ants wreaked their havoc upon said city, THEN I might have to admit to these whiskers being but a stubby presence)  ;)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Dargo said:

Interesting, sewhite. And here I would've thought the price of Costco's foot-long  hot dog and Pepsi deal at their snack bars and regardless where in this country you might be talkin' about, would be the same price of a buck and a half.

 

4 hours ago, Moe Howard said:

The Great State of Texas has Costcos so assume their snack bars are equally popular.

 

2 hours ago, BunnyWhit said:

Greetings from DFW. Yep, buck-fifty for a dog and a pop. 

Admittedly, I haven't been inside a Costco very much in my life. Sounds like I should check it out.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, laffite said:

Okay, I give up. What was the actual alarm you heard. I ask this because i am quite sure that was no ant attack. Oh, the exit alarm when someone may be stealing something. Good show, laffite, but you're slow. I saw the movie on a Saturday afternoon one day in the 50s. The only thing I remember is Edmund Gwynn, who played a scientist, announcing the last of the great ants, infants they were huddled all together and vulnerable as all get out, just before the ant-fighters fire hosed them incinerating THEM to extinction. Boy, Dargo, you must be an extrovert. I don't think I could have done that. My only claim to fame in that regard was a loud MUHAHAHAHAHAH during a scary movie in that same theater. I was sitting in the third row and the manager actually came all the way down and proceeded to eject me from the premises. But I was still pretty young then and have always wondered how I got the wherewithal to do that. I couldn't do that today, i am a complete coward.

Yep laffite, I'd say basically I'm pretty much an extrovert, alright.

 

40 minutes ago, laffite said:

Sort of bring up the idea of famous movie yells. I mean, what if you can't find your wife in a busy department store. If her name is Stella ... well then, holler away.

Yeah, I'd say this would be a similar sort of thing, I guess. BUT, would all depend on how good one's Brando impression might be.

Now, this extrovert's HERE is actually pretty good, if I say so myself!

(...and is actually pretty easy to do ONCE you realize HIS voice was even MORE nasally than Ben M.'s is!)

LOL

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/19/2021 at 10:57 PM, Dargo said:

one of their tasty foot-long hot dogs and a Pepsi...not a bad deal for only a buck and a half, right?!)

Wrong, no "deal" in my book. So awful, they practically have to GIVE it away. Can't believe you can maintain those good looks of yours on that cancer inducing chemicals.

6 hours ago, Dargo said:

Yep laffite, I'd say basically I'm pretty much an extrovert, alright.

Only an extrovert would think of saying something kooky like that in a crowd of strangers. My response to your comment would have been to clutch my cart & yell "THEM! THEM!"

th?id=OIP.mlVqWutb5q1nHGKh3NyLfQHaFo&pid

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/19/2021 at 10:57 PM, Dargo said:

Took two people down from Sedona here today for the two hour shuttle van drive to catch their flights out of Phoenix's Sky Harbor.

After I dropped them off, I called the office and at which time they advised me that my one lone scheduled inbound passenger's flight had been delayed by a couple of hour, and so they said to just come on back empty.  Started to do just that, but then decided to stop into the local Costco near the airport and grab a couple of things I've been needing. 

After I walked into the place and as I was passing through an aisle containing menswear, suddenly the sound of an alarm with a fast-paced high-pitched oscillating sound rang out from somewhere near the back wall of the store and which could be heard by all. After about five seconds of hearing this, I just couldn't resist yelling out in as loud a voice as I could muster, "RUN FOR YOUR LIVES! THE GIANT ANTS ARE HERE!"

Yep, that alarm sounded JUST like THIS...

Now, I heard one guy, that's right, only ONE single solitary guy from a couple of aisles away laugh out loud at this, but THEN noticed that everyone within a twenty foot radius, about half a dozen people and none of which looked any older than about forty, were just staring at me and had a look on their faces as if to say "What the hell is this guy talking about?!" It was then that that alarm ceased sounding, and so I just threw up my hands and loudly said, "Sorry folks. False alarm, I guess", and continued on with my shopping.

(...epilogue: After paying for my new shirt and my bundle of microfiber shop rags, I stopped by their little snack bar and got me one of their tasty foot-long hot dogs and a Pepsi...not a bad deal for only a buck and a half, right?!)

Dargo, you are a tribute to method acting. You are in character inside and outside of this forum. I salute you sir. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, laffite said:

Sort of bring up the idea of famous movie yells. I mean, what if you can't find your wife in a busy department store. If her name is Stella ... well then, holler away.

I have wanted to do this for so long! It's not Stella but I think I could make it work.

Go to the opposite end of the aisle from my wife, grab two different boxes of an item, glance furtively look from one to the other and howl, "SAVANNAH*,  repeatedly in anguish.

This goes a long way towards explaining why I end up having to shop alone.

Edited by Citizen Ed
Apparently the anguished screaming caused oxygen deprivation and I forgot the difference between to, too, and TWO
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

"Make me a sergeant give me the booze!" is a great quote too.

Them! (1954) featuring Edmund Gwenn vs. Giant Ants — Immortal Ephemera

Yep, Jim. I think this film is by far the best of all those "giant insects/animals born of a post-nuclear age come to attack civilization" flicks which would follow, alright.

(...although every time I watch it, I still hate seeing Mr. Whitmore's fate up there unfold near the end of it)

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Citizen Ed said:

I have wanted to do this for so long! It's not Stella but I think I could make it work.

Go to the opposite end of the aisle from my wife, grab to different boxes of an item, glance furtively look from one to the other and howl, "SAVANNAH*,  repeatedly in anguish.

This goes a long way towards explaining why I end up having to shop alone.

LOL

Ya know Ed, I came THIS close to finishing up my OP up there with this very thought of yours here and instead of having my epilogue mentioning that Costco snack bar thing.

(...so, it seems your wife might be a lot like MY wife then, eh?...being much less of an extrovert than their husbands)  ;) 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

 

 

Admittedly, I haven't been inside a Costco very much in my life. Sounds like I should check it out.

I imagine Costco makes up their cost not only with the "membership" fees, but by the money those places make since I've never noticed any Costco or SAM'S CLUB that wasn't crowded.  And to be sure, some can beat that thrift Darg, by(if they'r members)  going to Sam's Club and trying out all the SAMPLES of different food products the place always hands out.  Some people probably go there more often for LUNCH than to pick up their 5 gallon bucket of pickles or  gallon size jars of peanut butter.  ;) 

Sepiatone

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

I imagine Costco makes up their cost not only with the "membership" fees, but by the money those places make since I've never noticed any Costco or SAM'S CLUB that wasn't crowded.  And to be sure, some can beat that thrift Darg, by(if they'r members)  going to Sam's Club and trying out all the SAMPLES of different food products the place always hands out.  Some people probably go there more often for LUNCH than to pick up their 5 gallon bucket of pickles or  gallon size jars of peanut butter.  ;) 

Sepiatone

Yeah, I'll do this at Costco too Sepia, and especially if I haven't eaten before I step into the place.

But you know the old sayin', don't ya? "Never grocery shop on an empty stomach", or else you'll end up buying a lot more than you originally came for.

(...and of course exactly what those people who give out those samples are hoping for)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...