Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Finally! A Good Elvis Movie!

37kitties

For a very brief time, Elvis actually made a couple of good movies - movies where he actually played a character other than his stage-hogging, attention addicted, never-lose-a-fight, bull**** adonis (like Clambake and Harem Scarum and Paradise Hawaiian Style and about 15 other unmitigated  pieces of crap).

He made 2 good ones - Flaming Star in 1960 and Follow That Dream in 1962. If one wants to be generous one could also maybe include Kid Galahad, though that would be pushing it. It's an almost good one, if you can really believe Elvis as a professional boxer :mellow:.

But for years and years (possibly ever), the two good ones have been missing from TCM's frequent Elvis movie offerings.

Well, finally we get one of them - I think his best one - tomorrow evening (Thursday). Follow That Dream is finally being shown - and I've already got my recorder set.

Don't know why it's taken so long, but thank you TCM.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Dargo said:

WHAT?! No love for THIS one here???...   King Creole.

This is my favorite Elvis film.   Solid cast,  especially Carolyn Jones,  Walter Matthau,  Dean Jagger and always-good-as-a-punk Vic Morrow,  with director Michael Curtiz at the helm.

• Like 4

I'm a huge Elvis fan but haven't really dug into many of his films.  I always thought the first three and Viva Las Vegas were considered the best.  My personal favorite is Loving You.  I'll try to watch the recommended ones from above.

The thing I remember most about JAILHOUSE ROCK (1957) is that Elvis plays a character who is mostly un-likeable and selfish and isn't easygoing and happy-go-lucky like he is in most of his other films.  He's just not a very nice guy in this one; I think that's why Elvis didn't like to watch it (that and the fact his co-star Judy Tyler died in a car accident before it was released). 

I like most of Elvis's films to a degree.  I've seen the one about the World's Fair a couple of times and enjoyed it.  I like LIVE A LITTLE, LOVE A LITTLE -- and I like Michelle Carey, too.

Trivia ♦Nugget♦:  Is there another actress besides Michelle Carey who featured in movies with three of the biggest stars in history?  With JOHN WAYNE (El Dorado), FRANK SINATRA (Dirty Dingus Magee) and ELVIS PRESLEY (Live a Little, Love a Little)?   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dargo said:

WHAT?! No love for THIS one here???...

81b69ea7-e287-4a7a-8098-b8df8dc8bc78_1.2

Yeah, yeah. That one should be added to the not stink line up.  And it's not that the others are horrible, it's just so many have the same formula. 

The really rotten movies started with Kissin' Cousins in 1964. King Creole,Flaming Star,Follow that dream(-i have seen it as very young kidin 62 or63 at a matinée) were the ones i think were standing out,Loving You has a good cast with Lizabeth Scott. In a way Lennon was right :Elvis died in the army...

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Mr. Gorman said:

The thing I remember most about JAILHOUSE ROCK (1957) is that Elvis plays a character who is mostly un-likeable and selfish and isn't easygoing and happy-go-lucky like he is in most of his other films.  He's just not a very nice guy in this one; I think that's why Elvis didn't like to watch it (that and the fact his co-star Judy Tyler died in a car accident before it was released). 

I like most of Elvis's films to a degree.  I've seen the one about the World's Fair a couple of times and enjoyed it.  I like LIVE A LITTLE, LOVE A LITTLE -- and I like Michelle Carey, too.

Trivia ♦Nugget♦:  Is there another actress besides Michelle Carey who featured in movies with three of the biggest stars in history?  With JOHN WAYNE (El Dorado), FRANK SINATRA (Dirty Dingus Magee) and ELVIS PRESLEY (Live a Little, Love a Little)?   

Anne Margaret is what i am guessing

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mr. Gorman said:

3 hours ago, Shank Asu said:

Anne Margaret is what i am guessing

Can't think of any films Ann-Margret might've costarred with Sinatra, though.

(...with his fellow Rat Packer Dino in Murderers' Row, but can't think of any she did with Ol' Blue Eyes)

4 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

Elvis.  I see him as more of a musician-turned-character actor, and given the latitude to do his thing and "play himself".  I wouldn't want it any other way.  Cheesy??  Absolutely!  Collecting them all if I can.

I agree with this.    Which is why my favorite Elvis films are those that break from the standard formula and \ or that have other solid actors in major roles (like King Creole).

• Like 1

@MovieCollectorOH:   Elvis made 33 movies, I believe, two of which were the documentary-type movies of Elvis on the road and in concert.  I don't think any of them are rare.  If you are endeavouring to collect all his movies it shouldn't cost an arm and a leg.  There's also the homevideo releases of his 1968 special and '73 Hawaii show to round up as well even tho those two presentations aren't movies. 

'Tis a pity that Elvis didn't stand up to Colonel after a while and say "This is what I'm going to do; the movie I'm going to make is such-and-such".  The Colonel seemed to have a sharp eye for a while as to what kind of movies the public bought the most tickets to see Elvis appear in . . . but every 'Formula' eventually gets old and wears out.  Elvis's last movie where he played a character other than himself was CHANGE OF HABIT which was a change of pace for him, but was not a good change of pace.  And so it goes . . . 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mr. Gorman said:

@MovieCollectorOH:   Elvis made 33 movies, I believe, two of which were the documentary-type movies of Elvis on the road and in concert.  I don't think any of them are rare.  If you are endeavouring to collect all his movies it shouldn't cost an arm and a leg.  There's also the homevideo releases of his 1968 special and '73 Hawaii show to round up as well even tho those two presentations aren't movies. 

'Tis a pity that Elvis didn't stand up to Colonel after a while and say "This is what I'm going to do; the movie I'm going to make is such-and-such".  The Colonel seemed to have a sharp eye for a while as to what kind of movies the public bought the most tickets to see Elvis appear in . . . but every 'Formula' eventually gets old and wears out.  Elvis's last movie where he played a character other than himself was CHANGE OF HABIT which was a change of pace for him, but was not a good change of pace.  And so it goes . . . 

So far I have 26 entries with Elvis, most of what TCM has been showing, not including the past year or so as I still need to catalog all of that.  I haven't seen a need to go out of my way so far, but who knows. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

Elvis.  I see him as more of a musician-turned-character actor, and given the latitude to do his thing and "play himself".  I wouldn't want it any other way.  Cheesy??  Absolutely!  Collecting them all if I can.

I love the Elvis movies.  Are some better than others? Of course.  But they're entertaining and they're fun.  I like to watch and wonder "how are they going to get Elvis to sing next?" Some of the situations in which he sings seem more natural than others.  I'm trying to see all of them and collect them as well.  My favorites so far are Viva Las Vegas (my favorite Elvis movie), King Creole, Jailhouse Rock, Girl Happy, Blue Hawaii and Fun in Acapulco.

• Like 4

It's a shame that LIFEBOAT (1944) wasn't remade with Elvis in the cast.  So Elvis just happened to survive the sinking boat -- AND -- he managed to save his gee-tar as well so's he could sing "SPLISH, SPLASH" with the other survivors. 

CARRIE NYE could've played the Tallulah Bankhead part. 

ARTE JOHNSON could've played the Nazi.  😀  It coulda been a BIGGGG hit!  

• Haha 2

I will agree that Viva Las Vegas was far and away the best of his color Fishing-Boat/Racecar Repairman era.

But Barbara Stanwyck pitting her tough-cookiness one-on-one against the King makes Roustabout a worthy second.

1 hour ago, speedracer5 said:

I love the Elvis movies.  Are some better than others? Of course.

I so wanted to like Blue Hawaii based on the locale and the song, why did it have to be so gratuitously 60's-sitcom dopey?   😟

7 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

(King Creole) is my favorite Elvis film.   Solid cast,  especially Carolyn Jones,  Walter Matthau,  Dean Jagger and always-good-as-a-punk Vic Morrow,  with director Michael Curtiz at the helm.

It's the last of his "Delinquent with a heart-o'-gold" B/W Jailhouse Rock era, and not too bad for Curtiz's direction.

Of course, he couldn't be a teen rebel after coming home from the army, which is why his fans felt "betrayed" by G.I. Blues.  As John Lennon reportedly put it, "Drugs didn't kill Elvis, the Army killed Elvis."

59 minutes ago, Mr. Gorman said:

It's a shame that LIFEBOAT (1944) wasn't remade with Elvis in the cast.  So Elvis just happened to survive the sinking boat -- AND -- he managed to save his gee-tar as well so's he could sing "SPLISH, SPLASH" with the other survivors. 

CARRIE NYE could've played the Tallulah Bankhead part. 

ARTE JOHNSON could've played the Nazi.  😀  It coulda been a BIGGGG hit!  

LOL

I LIKE it, Mr.G!

Say, maybe they could've also worked into it a magician and a parrot as two more of those survivors?!  ;)

I assume you've heard the following old joke here before, haven't you?...

There was once a magician on a cruise ship who performed mainly slight-of-hand tricks. He had a regular spot on the ship's evening entertainment. He was actually quite a good magician, but his routines were regularly ruined by the on-board parrot who would fly around squawking out and giving away his secrets like: "IT'S UP HIS SLEEVE, IT'S UP HIS SLEEVE!", or "IT'S IN HIS POCKET, IT'S IN HIS POCKET!", or "IT'S IN HIS MOUTH, IT'S IN HIS MOUTH!" The magician was getting pretty sick of this and threatened to kill the parrot if it ruined his act one more time. That evening right at the climax of his act, just as he was about to disappear in a puff of smoke, the ship hit an iceberg and sank in seconds. Amazingly, the magician and the parrot were the only two survivors. The magician was lying on a piece of driftwood in a daze. As he opened his eyes he could see the parrot staring at him out of its beady little eye. The parrot sat there for hours just staring at him and eventually said, "OK, I give up, what did you do with the ship?"

• Haha 2

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings