Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Star Signs Spotlight. Are They Kidding?

lydecker

Wow.  Somebody at TCM must have completely run out of ideas for a spotlight.  Astrology?  Really??  What a waste of time.  "(Insert star name) is born under the sign of (insert astrological sign) which makes he/she bold, timid, charming, worldly, etc.,  etc.,  etc.  Silly, silly stuff.  

Maybe  the programmers should check out the TCM Challenge Archives.  Lots of much better ideas for spotlights there!!

• Like 3

I know. I only found this out last week, when I tuned in one night. Guess she makes a chart for each star. LOL. In that way they could pick whatever films they wanted! Hope this doesnt become a trend. (LOL).

14 minutes ago, lydecker said:

Wow.  Somebody at TCM must have completey run out of ideas for a spotlight.  Astrology?  Really??  What a waste of time.  "(Insert star name) is born under the sign of (insert astrological sign) which makes he/she bold, timid, charming, worldly, etc.,  etc.,  etc.  Silly, silly stuff.  

Maybe  the programmers should check out the TCM Challenge Archives.  Lots of much better ideas for spotlights there!!

Agree.

1 hour ago, yanceycravat said:

You must have missed our earlier discussion expressing the same exact sentiment!

Yeah, but this is probably because lydecker is a Scorpio, and they're usually the last ones to the party ya know, Yancey.  

;)

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, sagebrush said:

But the films they are showing are still a good watch (my opinion, of course.)

So sagebrush! Evidently you haven't noticed that on the last week of this gig, that astrologer lady is gonna tell us about the chart she did for Ed Wood.

And YEP, they're gonna show his Plane 9 AND Glen or Glenda flicks!

(...and so ya better enjoy these GOOD movies while ya can, dude) 

;)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, yanceycravat said:

You must have missed our earlier discussion expressing the same exact sentiment!

Dang. I looked for prior discussion about this before I started to rant here.  Oh, well . . .

34 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Yeah, but this is probably because lydecker is a Scorpio, and they're usually the last ones to the party ya know, Yancey.  

;)

You're close.  I'm a Libra (whatever that means!)

1 hour ago, Hibi said:

I know. I only found this out last week, when I tuned in one night. Guess she makes a chart for each star. LOL. In that way they could pick whatever films they wanted! Hope this doesnt become a trend. (LOL).

Poor Alicia Malone having to host this drivel.  

28 minutes ago, lydecker said:

You're close.  I'm a Libra (whatever that means!)

REALLY?! Then why weren't you able to find the FIRST thread done about this thing, lydecker???

(...Libras are USUALLY known to be VERY good at doing computer searches, ya know!)

;)

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Dargo said:

So sagebrush! Evidently you haven't noticed that on the last week of this gig, that astrologer lady is gonna tell us about the chart she did for Ed Wood.

;)

That's great; I like those films, too! 😄 Maybe it's because I'm a Sagittarius! 😉

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Dargo said:

;)

OH, BROTHER! Count me out!

When my wife and I sat down the other evening to watch The Prince and the Showgirl, we looked forward – as we always do – to a TCM host (and perhaps a guest) giving us some historical background and context, perhaps discussing some aspect of the making of the film or how it was perceived at its initial release. However, we stared at the screen – and then at each other – in utter disbelief as a woman blabbered on at great length about astrology. We would love to have learned more about the making of Prince and the Showgirl, and if any film needs some context (we found to to be an extremely sexist-seeming film), it's this one, far more so than the often-maligned My Fair Lady.

How sad that TCM is sinking to such inanity. We have nothing against astrology per se, but unless a particular filmmaker or star was guided by it, or the film being screened is specifically about astrology, we see no reason why it should form the basis for an entire series of screenings. We found it insulting to our intelligence, and it taught us nothing.

• Like 4

On 7/21/2021 at 3:54 PM, Dargo said:

;)

Careful, Dargo: we Scorpios can get a mite tetchy when people fail to realize our obvious superiority

• Like 1
  • Haha 1