Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

'Nobody wants to work anymore'

'Nobody wants to work anymore'

On a recent trip to Pennsylvania, I heard the phrase "Nobody wants to work anymore" over and over.

The phrase has become common since businesses began reopening fully this past spring.

Maybe you've seen it on a sign at your local Taco Bell drive-thru, or as part of a screed on social media: "Nobody wants to work anymore."

The phrase has become strikingly common in current American society, and taken at face value, it stands to reason that everyone has collectively decided to stop working.

On a recent trip near Reading, Pennsylvania, I heard the phrase no less than three times in 24 hours from three completely different people.

My colleague Áine Cain recently traveled through several states and saw the same signs everywhere, from Virginia to upstate New York:

It even spread to the most popular show on cable news, "Tucker Carlson Tonight."

"The government is paying people more to not work than to work," Fox News host Tucker Carlson said on his primetime show in May. "So why would they work? Would you?"

While some Americans are receiving more money in unemployment than they would from a minimum wage job, the situation is much more complicated than Carlson makes it out to be.

Defund the police so people can steal for a living. Social justice so they are given handouts.

Re: 'Nobody wants to work anymore"

On Court Cam the other night, parents had to get a court order to get their deadbeat son out of a house which was provided in lieu of him finding a job (which he has never worked a day in his life).  Told the judge he should be allowed another 90 days for finding one (yeah right).  Judge denied and threw his sorry behind out.

A phrase that I heard once on the radio, long ago, from a Britisher, and which has been indelibly and permanently stuck in my mind:

"Work was made for Man. Man was not made for work."

I believe that philosophy.

Unless one is a "workaholic" doing something one truly loves ("I can't believe I'm getting paid for this!"), work is a drag. I work because, unfortunately for me, my father's last name wasn't Getty, Vanderbilt, or Rockefeller. If I didn't have to work, I wouldn't.

During this pandemic, I think that some people -- who have the luxury of doing so -- are refusing to work under conditions that they don't like. And some workers, refusing to being exploited as Cheap Labor, are seizing the moment to take advantage of the opportunity created by the pandemic to demand higher wages and better working conditions from employers desperate for workers.

I don't buy the "Nobody wants to work anymore" whine as an indictment that people . . . Americans . . . have become lazy and unambitious. IMO, nobody wants to work for low wages and long hours, be treated without respect, and dismissively considered nonessential, expendable, and easily replaceable "Help" ("We can get new.").

• Like 1

Many businesses both large and small are trying to reopen but can't find enough people to fill the jobs which are available.  Catching covid is a lame excuse because getting vaccinated will solve that issue real quick.  Lot of people receiving unemployment / stimulus checks have become spoiled and want to continue receiving such.

Well....I didn't want to work anymore, so I retired.  ;) 

Frankly, Me or anyone else I know have ever seen any "Nobody wants to work anymore" signs on any Taco Bell drive thru windows, or on any "social media" pages they frequent.  And I wouldn't claim that "Tucker Carlson Tonight" is really the most popular show on cable TV.  :rolleyes:

Sure, the unemployment extensions have caused a ready available workforce.  And it's all in danger of getting worse since the misinformation about vaccines is causing less people to get vaccinated which will cause more cases of Covid  and bring about the possibility of the return of lock downs.  And too bad MM.  You can't blame "liberals" or democrats for that.

Sepiatone

• Like 1

There are many factors causing a "lack of workers" with the stimulus and unemployment payments being the least of them.  Why would you want to go back to work for someone who laid you off or in an industry or business that is potentially very harmful to your health.  Or one that pays next to nothing and offers almost no benefits.

Let's not forget that many of the people who left work decided it was time they hung it up anyway and just went ahead and retired.  Or many found much better jobs that were a better fit for them.

The incentives for going to work are making money, benefits and security.  Many (most?) of the jobs that are going begging offer none of these.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, hamradio said:

Re: 'Nobody wants to work anymore"

On Court Cam the other night, parents had to get a court order to get their deadbeat son out of a house which was provided in lieu of him finding a job (which he has never worked a day in his life).  Told the judge he should be allowed another 90 days for finding one (yeah right).  Judge denied and threw his sorry behind out.

That's a comedy show, right?

10 minutes ago, ElCid said:

That's a comedy show, right?

Only when some clown appears before the judge,

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTDZmqx63oUf6XJAGHiMv3

You're not going to steal my soul....

5c05c790a4091.image.jpg?resize=400,224

1-9418313173.jpg

5 hours ago, hamradio said:

Lot of people receiving unemployment / stimulus checks have become spoiled and want to continue receiving such.

Riiiiiiigghht! Because a person can live like a king on UI and stimulus checks.

I live in a high-priced market where the cost of even a hovel starts at almost one million dollars. I realize the the cost of living in my 'hood dramatically differs from the COL in other parts of America.

But, how anyone could become "spoiled" living on unemployment and stimulus checks is beyond my comprehension.

• Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, Eucalpytus P. Millstone said:

Riiiiiiigghht! Because a person can live like a king on UI and stimulus checks.

I live in a high-priced market where the cost of even a hovel starts at almost one million dollars. I realize the the cost of living in my 'hood dramatically differs from the COL in other parts of America.

But, how anyone could become "spoiled" living on unemployment and stimulus checks is beyond my comprehension.

health-hack-couch-potatoes.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR97WYFb1nDV373C7BBAMG

ZFBEKSTHQC2D3KM5OORGQGM7RQ.jpg

• Haha 1