Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Alabama governor says ‘it’s time to start blaming the unvaccinated folks’ as pandemic worsens


Recommended Posts

Alabama Gov. Kay Ivey issued an impassioned plea for residents of her state to get vaccinated against Covid-19, arguing it was “time to start blaming the unvaccinated folks” for the disease’s continued spread.

“I want folks to get vaccinated. That’s the cure. That prevents everything,” Ivey, a Republican, told reporters in Birmingham, Ala., on Thursday.

But the remarks from the governor grew more pointed when she was pressed on what it would take for greater numbers of Alabamans to get their shots.

“I don’t know. You tell me,” Ivey said. “Folks [are] supposed to have common sense. But it’s time to start blaming the unvaccinated folks, not the regular folks. It’s the unvaccinated folks that are letting us down.”

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/07/23/alabama-governor-covid-vaccinations-500638

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sounds like an honest common sense comment from a Republican governor to me. Not another cheap partisan shot.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hospital workers must be getting pretty fed up by now.

It was different before when people got the disease.  But now people have a choice whether they want to stay out of hospital.  Everyone 12 and over  in America has had plenty of time to get vaccinated.

The unvaccinated are holding the rest of us back now.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

In the last few days some GOP pols have come out of the woodwork and pushed for vaccinations.

I don't think they care very much about helping people but are more concerned that the spread of

the delta variant is starting to hurt them politically. 

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Vautrin said:

In the last few days some GOP pols have come out of the woodwork and pushed for vaccinations.

I don't think they care very much about helping people but are more concerned that the spread of

the delta variant is starting to hurt them politically. 

Yes, polling has shown that they are losing even more suburban women over this issue.  Presto, chango!

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

You could see this 5th wave coming a month ago when they started reporting how many people were not going to get vaccinated and the variant was on the rise.  About the same time America re-opened everything.

A perfect storm.

  • Sad 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember when the anti smoking thing started gaining momentum in the 80s, with some docs saying they wouldn't treat smokers because they brought it on themselves, the public blaming smokers for higher insurance costs. This sounds very similar. 

The AIDS epidemic a few years later brought a very different time. More compassionate. I don't recall anyone being told to stop being gay. 

Just an observation. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, LuckyDan said:

I remember when the anti smoking thing started gaining momentum in the 80s, with some docs saying they wouldn't treat smokers because they brought it on themselves, the public blaming smokers for higher insurance costs. This sounds very similar. 

The AIDS epidemic a few years later brought a very different time. More compassionate. I don't recall anyone being told to stop being gay. 

Just an observation. 

 

 

Smoking is not as contagious a  disease.  They have managed to put in place a lot of laws barring smokers from puffing in public places because it is a health hazard to others.  Covid is tens of millions times more dangerous than inhaling a whiff of someone else's tobacco.

  • Thanks 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, LuckyDan said:

I remember when the anti smoking thing started gaining momentum in the 80s, with some docs saying they wouldn't treat smokers because they brought it on themselves, the public blaming smokers for higher insurance costs. This sounds very similar. 

The AIDS epidemic a few years later brought a very different time. More compassionate. I don't recall anyone being told to stop being gay. 

Just an observation. 

 

 

There were calls for safe sex practices to avoid STD's .

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, hamradio said:

There were calls for safe sex practices to avoid STD's .

 

But there was none of this "they brought it on themselves" talk. No docs saying they brought it on themselves. No office holders scolding them. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

Smoking is not as contagious a  disease.  They have managed to put in place a lot of laws barring smokers from puffing in public places because it is a health hazard to others.  Covid is tens of millions times more dangerous than inhaling a whiff of someone else's tobacco.

Exposure to secondhand smoke causes an estimated 41,000 deaths each year among adults in the United States. This doesn't account for stubborn, don't give a rats behind people whom smokes. Be nice if there was a vaccine against the URGE to do so (or maybe have the smelling senses altered to find it revolting)

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bogie56 said:

Yes, polling has shown that they are losing even more suburban women over this issue.  Presto, chango!

Exactly. A much faster U turn than McCarthy made on the 1/6 riot. To hear a Republican governor talking

about common sense is hilarious. 

There were a number of conservatives and religious figures who blamed gays for getting AIDs. The wages

of sin........

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LuckyDan said:

But there was none of this "they brought it on themselves" talk. No docs saying they brought it on themselves. No office holders scolding them. 

There still is no vaccine for AIDS.

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, hamradio said:

Exposure to secondhand smoke causes an estimated 41,000 deaths each year among adults in the United States. This doesn't account for stubborn, don't give a rats behind people whom smokes. Be nice if there was a vaccine against the URGE to do so (or maybe have the smelling senses altered to find it revolting)

 

And that is why there are LAWS prohibiting people from smoking in other people's faces in public places.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Vautrin said:

In the last few days some GOP pols have come out of the woodwork and pushed for vaccinations.

I don't think they care very much about helping people but are more concerned that the spread of

the delta variant is starting to hurt them politically. 

This governor is apparently quite safe.  Her state has a low vaccination rate at one third of the population. It is unlikely such an electorate is worried about the non-vaxxed since most of them are in that category. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, LuckyDan said:

This governor is apparently quite safe.  Her state has a low vaccination rate at one third of the population. It is unlikely such an electorate is worried about the non-vaxxed since most of them are in that category. 

 

Yes, she was no electoral worries, so maybe she's actually seen the light, though I doubt she will persuade

many folks to get vaccinated. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/23/2021 at 4:09 PM, TomJH said:

Alabama Gov. Kay Ivey issued an impassioned plea for residents of her state to get vaccinated against Covid-19, arguing it was “time to start blaming the unvaccinated folks” for the disease’s continued spread.

“I want folks to get vaccinated. That’s the cure. That prevents everything,” Ivey, a Republican, told reporters in Birmingham, Ala., on Thursday.

But the remarks from the governor grew more pointed when she was pressed on what it would take for greater numbers of Alabamans to get their shots.

“I don’t know. You tell me,” Ivey said. “Folks [are] supposed to have common sense. But it’s time to start blaming the unvaccinated folks, not the regular folks. It’s the unvaccinated folks that are letting us down.”

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/07/23/alabama-governor-covid-vaccinations-500638

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sounds like an honest common sense comment from a Republican governor to me. Not another cheap partisan shot.

Why didn't she do this before now?  Why is she still resisting mask and social distancing mandates?  Hypocrite.

On 7/23/2021 at 4:59 PM, Bogie56 said:

Yes, polling has shown that they are losing even more suburban women over this issue.  Presto, chango!

Maybe they are afraid they may actually lose some voters to COVID.

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, mr6666 said:

:unsure:

Mask mandates are an example.  Even in Ruby Red Upstate S.C., 99% of people wore masks wherever I went as long as they were mandated.

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/23/2021 at 4:21 PM, LuckyDan said:

But there was none of this "they brought it on themselves" talk. No docs saying they brought it on themselves. No office holders scolding them. 

I'm curious, have you been vaccinated?

And if not, do you wear a mask in public?

Do you think the unvaccinated people are part of the problem that we have with so many mutating variants?

They are a petri dish for this virus.

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

10 people are in a leaky lifeboat in the middle of the ocean.  5 of them refuse to bail.  3 of those 5 give the reason that they refuse to bail because they do not like to be told what to do.

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

I'm curious, have you been vaccinated?

And if not, do you wear a mask in public?

Do you think the unvaccinated people are part of the problem that we have with so many mutating variants?

They are a petri dish for this virus.

The variants are only so slight - just made it more contagious  have higher viral loads in their nose and throat, though they don’t seem to get any sicker.  But they are much more contagious to others. We're lucky to a point with this RNA virus in it haven't made the vaccines ineffective.  Without the mutations the unvaccinated will still be coming down with covid.

Still a possiblity like most RNA viruses will mutate to a point present vaccines will be ineffective and have to start from scratch developing new ones which can take months.

  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/23/2021 at 2:21 PM, LuckyDan said:

But there was none of this "they brought it on themselves" talk. No docs saying they brought it on themselves. No office holders scolding them. 

There were plenty of talk from preachers on the religious right that “they brought it on themselves”, that “God was punishing them for their sins”, etc.  Doctors would not have said “stop being gay”, knowing that this is not a choice for most people; but they would have pushed for safer sexual practices and providing information to educate the at-risk populations and the general public.   Politicians were more circumspect about this, but some did say similar things as the right wing preachers.  More importantly, Ronald Reagan did not do anything about about it for the better part of his presidency; no money for research, education, outreach, etc.  And this was all because it was seen as a “gay disease”.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2021 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...