Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Help me identify this classic British movie

OrlandoBill

Very many years ago and I can't remember if I saw it on TCM or the original AMC channel, the movie's period was set during or just after WWII in England. It was a British film. The story line, as I remember it, was of two identical twins, one a down and out bloke (Bro1), living on the streets of London. The other brother (Bro2) was a highly decorated war hero, perhaps just coming back from his was duties.  I remember him almost always seen in uniform with his medals in full display.

With this setting, the the lesser brother was extremely jealous  of his successful and respected brother, so much so, that he decides to kill him (I think, or get him out of the picture some how), and assume his stature and respect. What he didn't count on was that Bro2 was also (I think), engaged to be married. As the story progressed, the fiancée started questioning whether the imposter was the true Bro2. I don't remember how it ended, other than it had left a lasting impression on me.

For some reason, Dirk Bogarde sticks in my mind as the dual character, but doing the ubiquitous Google search (i.e. IMDB), and the closest story line was his movie, Libel (1959), but it's description doesn't quite align with my memories of the story. One scene that sticks out, was the two brothers confronted each other in a setting of bombed out ruins in the city, dimly lit by foggy street lights, etc. This is where Bro1 attack's (and kills?) Bro2.  Thanks!

Your description does sound an awful lot like Libel. The big difference is that they are not twins but lookalikes in the same outfit during WWII. The one who isn't wealthy and of noble birth wants to take the place of the other. Dirk Bogarde plays both. Olivia de Haviland plays his wife. A friend of the wealthy and noble one is convinced the bad one switched places  and killed the other , which forces the one who claims he is the noble one to sue for libel. The noble's wife does begin to question whether the man she is married to is whom he claims to be. There are some clips from Libel on youtube.

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings