Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Howdy,

Was watching "Blood Simple" Friday night on TCM and there was a blackout about 8:50 p.m. that lasted until the end of the film. next movie "Night Moves" was ok as was rest of night.

Anybody else notice this? All other TV channels were ok on my TV, just TCM blacked out. Weird. Maybe rights issue in Canada but why they waited until half-way into movie, I don't know?

Of course, if it blacked out in U.S. something else happened.

Saw "Night Moves" after it came out in 1975.  Parents took us kids to drive-in and it was one of the features. Don't think I've seen it since until last night. That's 46 years!

Excellent movie... As is "Blood Simple." [It was aired by TVOntario's "Saturday Night at the Movies" in the past, so I've seen it, but sucked it was blacked out last night.]

1 hour ago, RMeingast said:

Howdy,

Was watching "Blood Simple" Friday night on TCM and there was a blackout about 8:50 p.m. that lasted until the end of the film. next movie "Night Moves" was ok as was rest of night.

Anybody else notice this? All other TV channels were ok on my TV, just TCM blacked out. Weird. Maybe rights issue in Canada but why they waited until half-way into movie, I don't know?

Of course, if it blacked out in U.S. something else happened.

Saw "Night Moves" after it came out in 1975.  Parents took us kids to drive-in and it was one of the features. Don't think I've seen it since until last night. That's 46 years!

Excellent movie... As is "Blood Simple." [It was aired by TVOntario's "Saturday Night at the Movies" in the past, so I've seen it, but sucked it was blacked out last night.]

Cable company lost the feed. A technician probably kicked out a plug or something.

DirecTv lost the feed of BLOOD SIMPLE where I live.  Rural GA, USA.  My TV screen said there was a technical problem and DirecTv was working on restoring the feed.  After a few minutes I just turned my TV off and did something else for a while. 

Just now, Mr. Gorman said:

DirecTv lost the feed of BLOOD SIMPLE where I live.  Rural GA, USA.  My TV screen said there was a technical problem and DirecTv was working on restoring the feed.  After a few minutes I just turned my TV off and did something else for a while. 

Well, we subscribe to Rogers  Ignite TV (Cable TV bundle)  where we live up in The Great White North. All other channels were working except for TCM last night about half-way thru "Blood Simple."
Feed lost about 8:50 p.m. EST and lasted until end of film, I think. Next TCM feature - "Night Moves" - was ok.

Not a big deal. Just weird. If all channels were out then problem with Cable TV, but it was just TCM and just during that one movie.

My personal clairvoyant, Swami Yogadachi, missed it... Sorry Swami, you're usually correct but yesterday you missed the mark. Must be all that dang fancy modern technology...

Swami Yogadachi (@ProgressivePuke) | Twitter

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/1291137263674499073/B2oyt1NV.jpg

2 hours ago, TomJH said:

Your swamy looks a little balmy.

Thirteen Women (1932)

"Looks OK to me."

Poor old Myrna Loy doing crap like that... But that's showbiz...

Thirteen Women (Film) - TV Tropes

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Film/ThirteenWomen

Miss Loy plays Ursula Georgi in the film. She's the swami who controls the other swami - Swami Yogadachi (my personal swami)...
Anyway, just curious about the lost feed last night. No biggie...

tumblr_mhvy32hiFE1rtexgho1_400.gif

TCM went out on DirecTV around 8:40 and went back on about

9:15. I missed so much of the movie I watched something else.

The DirecTV format for interrupted service is a lot more colorful

and advanced than this one. 

• Like 2

I can recall this blackout phenomenon happening during a TCM showing at least once before - about a year ago, I think. Similarly it affected only the one movie at the time and everything resumed properly for the next movie.

16 hours ago, Vautrin said:

tumblr_mhvy32hiFE1rtexgho1_400.gif

TCM went out on DirecTV around 8:40 and went back on about

9:15. I missed so much of the movie I watched something else.

The DirecTV format for interrupted service is a lot more colorful

and advanced than this one. 

North Carolina and rural Georgia out, and my corner of Great White North, but others ok? Strange. Gremlin in the system, I guess...
Oh well... Life goes on...
I wrote about 8:50 we lost the feed but that was just a guess, it coulda been 8:40 p.m., too. All other TV channels ok. I flipped back and forth for some time but then gave up. Went back at 10 p.m. for "Night Moves" and all ok then.

The TCM channel was just black after the feed was lost... No messages... Nada... But ok again by 10 p.m.

8 hours ago, RMeingast said:

North Carolina and rural Georgia out, and my corner of Great White North, but others ok? Strange. Gremlin in the system, I guess...
I wrote about 8:50 we lost the feed but that was just a guess, it coulda been 8:40 p.m., too. All other TV channels ok. I flipped back and forth for some time but then gave up. Went back at 10 p.m. for "Night Moves" and all ok then.

The TCM channel was just black after the feed was lost... No messages... Nada... But ok again by 10 p.m.

Who knows. DirecTV has a nice blue background with the we're so sorry message in English and Spanish

with some relatively inoffensive music playing. The only question is how long will temporary be. Yeah,

I gave up on Blood Simple and did watch Night Moves and Cutter's Way. 

On 7/25/2021 at 8:49 AM, RMeingast said:

Same thing happened to me with "Blood Simple".  I use YouTube TV as my streaming service/provider.  TCM was the only station this happened with, as the others were alright.  I think it was Sunday afternoon when I noticed the thumbnail came up on the screen, so I clicked it and was able to watch the rest of the movie from the point where it blacked out on me.

21 hours ago, midwestan said:

Same thing happened to me with "Blood Simple".  I use YouTube TV as my streaming service/provider.  TCM was the only station this happened with, as the others were alright.  I think it was Sunday afternoon when I noticed the thumbnail came up on the screen, so I clicked it and was able to watch the rest of the movie from the point where it blacked out on me.

I contacted TCM High Command about it and they replied that the official and highly technical cause was a Gremlin in the works. Specifically, the Gremlin from the 1963 "Twilight Zone" episode "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet." Canadian actor William Shatner was contacted to identify the Gremlin and it was the same one. The Gremlin hasn't been excommunicated/exorcised/whatever else you do to get rid of a Gremlin, so the problem may recur:

Saturday Live – Twilight Zone – tape 19 | VHiStory

https://vhistory.wordpress.com/2020/05/28/saturday-live-twilight-zone-tape-19/

• Haha 1