Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Films with strong female characters from "The Golden Age of Hollywood"

How about some love for Mae West. Example: teaching school in MY LITTLE CHICKADEE:

Student: Teacher, what's subtraction?

Mae West: A man has a hundred dollars, you leave him with two. That's subtraction.

giphy.gif

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Dargo said:

Have I missed it somehow, or have we been remiss in not mentioning this actress in this thread so far?...

MV5BMzA1NTg0NzU2MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNjU5

(...can't recall a film in which Irene Dunne didn't play a "strong woman" in it, anyway)

Well in Theodora Goes Wild she didn't start out as a strong woman,  but she clearly became one (helping the Douglas character become stronger as well).

But yea,  good selection.     Dunne's character and her screen persona were able to take-it and dish it out when necessary.   (and still be loving, sweet and enjoyable,  verses well,  something a lot less attractive).

• Like 2

If never getting nominated for an Academy award is a way to "measure" if an actor is "underrated" than Eddie G. Robinson is at the top of the list.

As for Wayne Morris:  just saw him last night in Kid Galahad,  the Robinson\Davis\Bogart film that put Morris on the map.    

I guess it is fair to assume Morris is likely "underrated" by even the folks at this forum,  but after Kid Galahad,  Morris was signed to a long term contract by Warner Bros. and featured in  26 films until 1941 when he joined the services.     After the war he was in over 40 films.   But if folks that are into studio-era movies are not aware of him,  that would indeed label him as underrated.       

• Like 1