Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I would love to see TCM devote a month to movies about painters. There are so many of them.  As an artist, I find them inspirational and frequently super dramatic. There's also such a wide variety of subject matter. Mostly I'd like to see dramatic movies about painters as portrayed by actors. Ones I'd suggest are Modigliani, Carrington, Moulin Rouge about Toulouse Lautrec, ****, Lust for Life, The Agony and the Ecstasy, Artemesia, Frida, even Beatrix about Beatrix Potter. Artists sometimes live on the edge, doing their Bohemian thing--many dramatic possibilities!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The auto-censor here is pretty a n a l.  Try posting it again by spacing between each letter.  ;)    And I can't think of any classic movies about artists, that are biopics, but a more recent one, P O L L O C K('00) with Ed Harris was pretty good. 

See?  I had to come back and edit  the last name of artist JACKSON P O L L O C K  and space it because the ignoramus who programs the auto-censor is too stupid to know the slur word used to denote someone of Polish  background ISN'T spelled that way!

Sepiatone

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

At Eternity's Gate and Renoir (Netflix and Tubi, at present i believe respectively) are WONDERFUL 

also.. while he's more of an artist with language; Young Goethe In Love is Exquisite.

I thought about a month of all artists, including painters, writers, composers, and dancers. But as I was trying to make a list of painters, there seemed to be more than enough for a month of just painters. Particularly if you include documentaries as well.

15 minutes ago, Twokeets said:

I thought about a month of all artists, including painters, writers, composers, and dancers. But as I was trying to make a list of painters, there seemed to be more than enough for a month of just painters. Particularly if you include documentaries as well.

Funny Thing You Should Bring that up..

Two Other titles that reminded me of their existence are a Lovely Charming Stop-Aninimation like bio called Loving Vincent; and (more to Your Particular Point You Posited)   Coco Chanel & Igor Stravinsky

Cézanne et moi (2016) is quite powerful.

Surviving Picasso (1996) is a sort of sideswipe of life rather than focusing on art.

The best depiction of: Vincent Van Gogh which I have seen is a television episode! Season 5, Episode 10 of: Doctor Who (2005- ) "Vincent and the Doctor" features: Tony Curran as the artist. The range he portrays is quite wonderful.

• Like 2

The Paint Job (1992) with Bebe Neuwirth 

But somehow I don't think those are the kinds of painters you are talking about.

It's practically a lost film. I haven't seen it anywhere for years.

Maybe they could show that one for a late-night Friday movie!

I just thought of another one about a known painter--"Mr. Turner" about the great English landscape painter. It has sex, history, humor and pathos.

William  Holden played an artist in The World of Suzie Wong.  A French film called Van Gogh ( 1991) with Jacques Dutronc was very good.  I also liked Portrait of Jennie (1948) with Joseph Cotten.  

• Like 4

Not about a painter, but her painting figures prominently in the first part of the movie:

LAURA (1944) with Gene Tierney & Dana Andrews.

Screen Shot 2020-03-05 at 5.39.01 PM.jpeg

• Like 2

Pier Paolo Pasolini's film the Decameron features him in the role of the famous painter Giotto. He takes inspiration from the stories of the Decameron and from bystanders on the street who he works into his painting. 

Yeah. this is definitely more of a "2 AM Timeslot" film to put it mildly. Giotto's story isn't too bad but most of the others are a bit X rated.

I see I'm the first to mention Timothy Spall as Mr. Turner (2014), curmudgeonly painter of English seascapes.  (And second in Mike Leigh's salute to the business of hardworking English cultural icons, after Topsy Turvy.)

mr-turner-014.jpg?width=700&quality=85&a

Peter Greenaway also did TWO films about his pet conspiracy theory that Rembrandt was hinting at a murder in "The Night Watch", the narrative Nightwatching, and clips recycled in the documentary Rembrandt's J'Accuse (2008).

• Like 1

Yeah, but ya just gotta mention LUST FOR LIFE! 

Painting and painters, eh?

AGE OF CONSENT (1969) with a good cast.

CIRCLE OF TWO (1980) with Tatum O'Neal inspiring disaffected artist Richard Burton to resume painting. 

ALL THE VERMEERS IN NEW YORK (1990) has a lot of paintings in the periphery of the film.  Especially the paintings of some guy named 'Vermeer'.  😄 

(P.S.  @Two Keets:  I love parakeets, cockatiels and all kinds of birbs.  Gib your smol feathered pals an xtra scritch or two for me).  :)  )

• Like 1

Everyone just chimes in with titles without considering TCM's position. The more recent listed on Netflix or Amazon would never be leased to TCM for broadcast. 

It's a fun idea, films could be grouped by biography/art as element in the story/technical, etc.

I loved Penn & Teller's TIM'S VERMEER 2013 but it's more of an exploration of Vermeer's technique than the man's life. Along those lines are THE AGONY & THE ECSTASY '65 about Michaelangelo painting the Sistine Chapel.

CBS Sunday Morning recently ran a story on those huge painted scenery movie backdrops. Maybe Mank could talk them into releasing it as an "extra", haha. 

In Live, Love, and Learn, Robert Montgomery plays a starving artist who meets wealthy Roz Russell when she crashes through one of his paintings.

And then there's Paul Newman's modern artist in What a Way to Go.

On 7/24/2021 at 12:28 PM, chaya bat woof woof said:

Ed Harris was Jackson Pollack

There was a movie called Big Eyes about Margaret Keane

The Moon and Sixpence (based on Paul Gaughin)

The Picture of Dorian Gray (don't know if that counts)

Hmmm.....

Maybe because you spelled the name wrong, or because I griped is why your posting of POLLACK  wasn't given the "star" treatment.  I'll know better once I post this.  And the slur for Poles is spelled the way you spelled the artist's name but with only one "L" .  Without the "c" it's the Polish noun for a male of Polish descent.    Be back in a moment with the result.  ;) 

Well, it did censor the correct spelling of the artist's name, but not your incorrect spelling, which I replaced mine with.  Just for kicks, I'll try the correct spelling of the slur---

Polack

See?  left the correct spelling of the slur alone, but will censor the correct spelling of the artist's name.  :o   Just how stupid IS the one who programs Otto anyway?  ;) 

Sepiatone