Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Dependable and underrated

5 hours ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

I agree about Geraldine Fitzgerald.   Also memorable later on opposite Rod Steiger as a sympathetic New York City social worker in THE PAWNBROKER.   

Thanks for mentioning this film.

• Thanks 1
19 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

He will forever be in my heart.    A TREE GROWS IN BROOKLYN is a perfect realization of that book, even with the omissions.  JAMES DUNN is stunning.  And of course he is in one of the greatest SHIRLEY TEMPLE movies... 

Brighteyes.jpg

He's also in KILLER MCCOY (1947) as Mickey Rooney's father.

Screen Shot 2020-08-08 at 3.58.29 PM

25 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

KILLER MCCOY (1947) as Mickey Rooney's father.

I admit I generally avoid mature MICKEY roles.  He's hard to believe as a boxer.  And speaking of BRIAN DONLEVY... both men, superior actors. 

• Thanks 1

Good topic here, TopBilled.

My picks wouldn't necessarily be considered great or memorable, but they were part of casts that made some good movies.

Kent Smith, Richard Carlson, Nigel Bruce, Lee Bowman, Jack Carson, Una O'Connor, Helen Walker, Agnes Moorehead, Lee Patrick, Lucile Watson.

• Like 3

6546-11063-0.jpg&ehk=el4COhaNrVgvRMIGA6n

Connie Gilchrist

a8f56caa937ec8482d89b04a1bd955b8.jpg

Kathleen Freeman

Virginia-Gregg.jpg

Virginia Gregg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

I only mention Ann-Margaret because she isn't really taken seriously as an actress, but receives more attention as a live "entertainer".

In every movie she's a standout-bringing an excitement, vivaciousness to her role no matter how small. Dependable. It must be just Ann-Margaret's personality & professionalism. Her performances are probably somewhat overlooked because she's so pretty you just can't take your eyes off her, discounting her acting contribution & talent. I'm looking forward to seeing her as a feisty old lady in QUEEN BEES '21

hqdefault.jpg

I have this poster framed in my living room. The pic is from the same photo shoot as Viva Las Vegas:

f7c0aa4b9ca37baac54f49d33a3bd250.jpg

• Like 4
10 hours ago, midwestan said:

My picks wouldn't necessarily be considered great or memorable, but they were part of casts that made some good movies.

Kent Smith, Richard Carlson, Nigel Bruce, Lee Bowman, Jack Carson, Una O'Connor, Helen Walker, Agnes Moorehead, Lee Patrick, Lucile Watson.

Kent Smith had a long career in films and on television. But he's seldom recognized. He was in a few Val Lewton horror films, in NORA PRENTISS and THE FOUNTAINHEAD and many other movies that air on TCM.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

I only mention Ann-Margaret because she isn't really taken seriously as an actress, but receives more attention as a live "entertainer".

In every movie she's a standout-bringing an excitement, vivaciousness to her role no matter how small. Dependable. It must be just Ann-Margaret's personality & professionalism. Her performances are probably somewhat overlooked because she's so pretty you just can't take your eyes off her, discounting her acting contribution & talent. I'm looking forward to seeing her as a feisty old lady in QUEEN BEES '21

hqdefault.jpg

I have this poster framed in my living room. The pic is from the same photo shoot as Viva Las Vegas:

f7c0aa4b9ca37baac54f49d33a3bd250.jpg

Ann-Margret is also one of many actors or actresses that can do comedy, and do it well.  She had a small, but memorable role in "The Cheap Detective"; a movie which can still make me double over with laughter consistently!

• Like 5
24 minutes ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

She is also in Grumpier Old Men (I think).  Do you remember when she fell off the stage?

Ann-Margret did reprise her role in that sequel.  And it was 1972 when she fell TO the stage from an elevated platform some 20 feet or so high.

Sepiatone

• Like 1
4 hours ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

She (Ann-Margret) is also in Grumpier Old Men (I think).  Do you remember when she fell off the stage?

I do, and I also remember in 2000 assisting her deplane off a Northwest Airlines flight into LAX along with her husband Roger Smith and right after she had had a pretty bad spill in Minnesota off her motorcycle. She had just recently suffered three broken ribs and a fractured shoulder, but still was very pleasant to interact with that day.

(...I remember actually kidding her by telling her that if perhaps she had been riding a better handling Triumph motorcycle instead of a Harley, maybe this wouldn't have happened to her...she got a kick out of that...nice lady who I had known had been a fellow avid motorcyclist for years)

• Like 7
20 hours ago, midwestan said:

Excellent choices.

The only one I have trouble with is Lee Bowman.   

Forgive me.

• Like 2

Eve Arden and Ben Johnson are two that I think don't get nearly enough credit for their abilities. I honestly can't think of a bad performance from either of them that I've seen. And that includes Johnson in The Town That Dreaded Sundown. Crap movie, solid acting (from him at least).

• Like 7

I like THE TOWN THAT DREADED SUNDOWN (1976), btw.  I'm pretty sure the makers of FRIDAY THE 13th, Part 2  (1981) saw it. 

Dick O'Neill was always a dependable presence.  Remember him as 'Corell' from THE TAKING OF PELHAM ONE TWO THREE (1974)?  Or WOLFEN (1981)?

(SPOILER:  In "Wolfen" he gets his ripped off and it lands near his body so he can see himself dead.  Gregory Hines makes reference to such a thing happening earlier in the movie when he's talking about people who were guillotened). 

Charles Durning was also a reliable presence in movies for decades.  He and Dick O'Neill co-starred in THE FRONT PAGE (1974), btw.

• Like 1

How does  anyone at this forum know if an actor is underrated or not? 

The term "underrated" is a measure of public opinion  (verses one's own opinion).    

Therefore with this understanding I say Olivia DeHavilland is "underrated" since she isn't on the AFI list of top 25 female screen legends from the so called golden era. 

PS:  and if  we are talking the current general US public opinion;  almost all of the actors we discuss at this forum are "underrated",  since most are not known at all,  and the few that are,  are known more as cultural icons (Monroe,  Audrey Hepburn,  Dean),  than they are for their acting or the films they were in. 

• Like 1
On 7/27/2021 at 3:59 PM, Bronxgirl48 said:

Jean Peters

Sabu

Isabel Jewell

Yes...nobody mentions Jean Peters. So glad you just did! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

How does  anyone at this forum know if an actor is underrated or not? 

I would say it's an inference that one can make. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

Yes...nobody mentions Jean Peters. So glad you just did! 

Thanks so much.

I was initially blown away by her when I watched NIAGARA and BLUEPRINT FOR MURDER back to back.....

• Like 2
On 7/26/2021 at 7:24 PM, Allhallowsday said:

I admit I generally avoid mature MICKEY roles. 

I did dig watching Mickey in Requiem for a Heavyweight the other night, maybe the third time I've seen in it, although it struck me this time his entire performance revolves around telling Jackie Gleason what a louse he is.

• Like 2