Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Dependable and underrated

11 minutes ago, cinemaman said:

Here  is  list  of  foreign  stars  who  are  dependable  and  underrated.   Michele  Morgan    Lilli  Palmer     Susannah  York    Wendy  Hiller    Yves  Montand      Rossano  Brazzi     Curt Jurgens  Hardy  Kruger

Good group. I'd add Simone Simon and Micheline Presle.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Citizen Ed said:

James Garner.

He's remembered and lauded for his television roles, and rightly so, but no one ever seems to mention his film work.  A shame really, he always gave solid performances.

Well, they discuss his films with Doris Day. 

But I agree, his television work eclipsed his motion picture work.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Herman Bricks said:

How about some love for Steve Cochran? Great looking, great actor, always compelling.

See the source image

Nope, sorry Herman. Can't love the guy.

(...I've never forgiven him for bein' so damn mean to Ernest Truex and when all the poor old guy was tryin' to do was give people "what they needed")  ;)

• Thanks 1
On 8/1/2021 at 5:43 PM, TopBilled said:

Nobody talks about this guy. I think he's great.

screen

Jack Oakie.

At the end of Murder at the Vanities (when Jack Ellery [Oakie] finally gives in to flirty showgirl Nancy [Toby Wing]), Oakie shoots a look at the camera, breaking the "fourth wall," and consummately sends off the audience with a giggle. A perfect send-off!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/5/2021 at 7:14 PM, Eucalpytus P. Millstone said:

At the end of Murder at the Vanities (when Jack Ellery [Oakie] finally gives in to flirty showgirl Nancy [Toby Wing]), Oakie shoots a look at the camera, breaking the "fourth wall," and consummately sends off the audience with a giggle. A perfect send-off!

I still haven't seen MURDER AT THE VANITIES.

I adore Cecil Kellaway. He's a real joy to watch and definitely deserves a lot more recognition than he gets.

From Veronica Lake's devious, trouble-making warlock father in I MARRIED A WITCH, the likeable, doomed Nick Smith in THE POSTMAN ALWAYS RINGS TWICE to the wise Monsignor Ryan in GUESS WHO'S COMING TO DINNER, he's always a treat to watch.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

I adore Cecil Kellaway. He's a real joy to watch and definitely deserves a lot more recognition than he gets.

From Veronica Lake's devious, trouble-making warlock father in I MARRIED A WITCH, the likeable, doomed Nick Smith in THE POSTMAN ALWAYS RINGS TWICE to the wise Monsignor Ryan in GUESS WHO'S COMING TO DINNER, he's always a treat to watch.

I'm a Cecil Kellaway fan too.

He was nominated for an Oscar for his work in THE LUCK OF THE IRISH (1948).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Luck_of_the_Irish_(1948_film)

• Like 1