Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

2 hours ago, Jillian Atchley said:

@SansFin Hi! 😊 Wow - I’ve only seen one list from your list (How to Steal a Million, which I also enjoy). I’d never even heard of Daisies or The Pillow Book. Interesting! And @37kitties - I’ve only seen one from your list, too (Butch Cassidy…, a favorite in my family).

I understand what you both mean. I have tons of favorites that shift in importance, too. But I’d also sort of unofficially and unconsciously worked on my list for years, by thinking, “If I had a Top 10 list, this would be on it.” In this past year or so, I’ve watched more movies than ever before (thanks to the pandemic) - and I realized I’d had that thought about my “Top 10 list” enough times to make it official. ☺️ So, calling these my “favorite movies” is actually a bit misleading on my part (as that distinction is ever-changing for me as well) - but I can say with confidence that, at this point in my life, I consider these to be the BEST.

The Thomas Crown Affair (1968) and Father Goose (1964) are available for viewing for free with commercials on: PlutoTV. I suspect that you will like both of them based on your enjoying: How to Steal a Million (1966).

The Hidden Fortress (1958),  Daisies (1966) and Blade Runner: The Final Cut (2007) are available to subscribers to: HBO Max. The first two are available also to subscribers to: The Criterion Channel. The last is scheduled to appear on: TCM on July 30, 2021 at: 8:00PM ET. I am unsure if you might enjoy any of them because they are not like any on your list of favorites.

Monsters, Inc. (2001) and The Pillow Book (1996) are available if you subscribe to: Disney+ and Hoopla respectively. I am unsure of these also because they are not like any on your list.

All mentioned above may be available for rent or purchase on a number of streaming services. I use: www.justwatch.com to check availability on a number of services. The site has its faults but I consider it a good general guide. 

Formula of Love (1984) is available on: YouTube at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFW8kJ9Y1tM&ab_channel=Киноконцерн"Мосфильм" You may use English subtitles if your Russian is not up to it. I suspect you might like this is you have no repulsion to foreign movies. It is something of a romp. It is not based on a true story but is precisely the type of thing which Cagliostro was known to do.

Two Comrades Served (1968) is available on: YouTube at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7P3QbcI91U&ab_channel=Киноконцерн"Мосфильм" You may use English subtitles on this also. I will not make a guess if you might like this. It is more intense and personal than any on your list of favorites. Some people find the ending quite disturbing.

My only success at creating "Top Ten" lists is when I break it down by genre and decade and English/foreign.

My such lists are often not in harmony with others in this forum. Example: I have watched all of the movies on: speedracer5's and: Darguo's list. I liked approximately half of them. A few here may have watched all on my list but only because I have been boorishly lauding them in this forum for years. I doubt any consider most of them to be favorites.

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, SansFin said:

My such lists are often not in harmony with others in this forum. Example: I have watched all of the movies on: speedracer5's and: Darguo's list. I liked approximately half of them. A few here may have watched all on my list but only because I have been boorishly lauding them in this forum for years. I doubt any consider most of them to be favorites.

LOL

JUST couldn't resist spellin' my handle around here with that...well, YOU know! ;)

(...so my dear...which o' my five might you not be all that big a fan of here, anyway?...don't worry, I won't get into any big debate with ya about this if you respond...would just like to know, that's all, and because and as you know, I've always valued your opinions very highly)

• Like 2

@JillianAtchley:  My memory, such as it is, seems to recall the scene was open-ended with Gleason looking on and leaving Pirelli and the young boxer just standing there as Gleason looks toward the ring where Mountain is dancing around in a long shot.  → I suspect I'll have to watch the tape again soon; the ending from the VHS does not come up on YouTube.  I'd swear in the not-too-distant past the VHS ending had been uploaded to YT so everyone could see it for themself . . . but I looked for it this afternoon and couldn't find it the upload. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Dargo said:

LOL

JUST couldn't resist spellin' my handle around here with that...well, YOU know! ;)

(...so my dear...which o' my five might you not be all that big a fan of here, anyway?...don't worry, I won't get into any big debate with ya about this if you respond...would just like to know, that's all, and because and as you know, I've always valued your opinions very highly)

I must constantly check that you are paying attention! 😄

I like: The Apartment (1960) and: The Third Man (1949) sufficiently to not need an excuse to watch them again. I like: Casablanca (1942) and: Singin' in the Rain (1952) sufficiently to watch them when I do not feel like searching for things to watch.

I know well that: Sunset Blvd. (1950) and: Dr. Strangelove (1964) are great movies but I often feel that they are not a good return on the time invested in watching them. 

I freely acknowledge that the others in your list are good movies and are loved by millions. They simply are not to my taste. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1. SHANE

2. THE SEARCHERS

3. THE HANGING TREE

4.  YELLOW SKY

5. THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY

6. THE MAN WHO SHOT LIBERTY VALANCE

7. WESTWARD THE WOMEN

8. THE BRAVADOS

9.  RIDE THE HIGH COUNTRY

10.  MAN OF THE WEST

• Like 3

So, is anybody else but me here now thinkin' of this old song after reading over the previous post?...

Welcome to the boards! I'm a newcomer here as well!

I like the originality of your list. Not the usual suspects that you normally see. My to ten is pretty fluid. It changes constantly.  Trying to make a list for this post I had at least 25 written before I finally stopped myself. Even at that as I was trying to narrow it down to ten and trying to determine which I enjoyed more, Fritz Lang/ Peter Lorre M or the amazing George Stevens/Alan Ladd Shane I suddenly remembered His Girl Friday and Bringing Up Baby. I'm like a kid let loose in a candy shop, I want it all.  So here's my top three, they've been in every one of my lists and the only thing that changes is which is number one (usually the one I've viewed most recent)

Cool Hand Luke

North by Northwest

Casablanca

and the rest of my usual suspects

The Usual Suspects

To Be or Not to Be (Jack Benny's version please)

Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House

The Apartment

Stalag 17

The Music Man

The Quiet Man

Shane

M

Das Testament Des Dr. Mabuse

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari

Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Black Orpheus

Carnival of Souls

Snatch

Wizard of Oz

Maetwan

The Natural

His Girl Friday

Bringing Up Baby

And now I've just remembered the Val Lewton RKO horror noire movies!  Those deserve a spot too. Just too big a job for too small a mind to try and winnow down.😂

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum from another newbie.  Haven't seen all of your top 10 films.  I couldn't whittle my list down to 10.  I posted a top 100 on-line about 6 months ago.

• Like 4

1. Double Indemnity 

2. The Big Clock

3. Kiss of Death

4. Criss Cross

5. The Killers

6. Sunset Blvd.

7. The Asphalt Jungle

8. Gilda

9. Touch of Evil

10. Body Heat

• Like 3
On 7/25/2021 at 9:19 PM, JakeHolman said:

1. SHANE

2. THE SEARCHERS

3. THE HANGING TREE

4.  YELLOW SKY

7. WESTWARD THE WOMEN

8. THE BRAVADOS

10.  MAN OF THE WEST

You're a big fan of rom-coms, huh?

• Haha 3
3 hours ago, 37kitties said:

You're a big fan of rom-coms, huh?

LOL

No, but looking at Jake's "other than westerns" top ten list here, it appears he sure likes movies where at least one charcter in it dies at the hands of another, anyway.

(...notice that too?)

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Dargo said:

LOL

No, but looking at Jake's "other than westerns" top ten list here, it appears he sure likes movies where at least one charcter in it dies at the hands of another, anyway.

(...notice that too?)

Btw, this comment of mine here has now prompted me to re-examine my own earlier posted top ten list in order to see if there might be a similar strain running through it in this regard.

And so...

1- The Best Years of Our Lives  - Nobody dies in it, although one character DOES go missing after the first reel, but nobody seems to care

2- The Apartment - Nobody dies in it, although one person DOES get punched pretty well in it

3- Singin' in the Rain - Nobody dies in it

4- Casablanca - a few people die in it

5- The Third Man - a few people die in it

6- Out of the Past - a few people die in it

7- Sunset Blvd - one person dies in it

8- Dr. Strangelove - EVERYBODY dies in it except the few people who will make it into those mine shafts and where there will be ten women to every man...YEAH!!!

9- A Night at the Opera - nobody dies in it

10- It's a Wonderful Life - nobody dies in it except one person and from a stroke, but wouldn't it be nice if that cranky old Mr. Potter had too?!

(...and now the only question here is: Do you think I should have prefaced this post with one of those "Spoiler Alerts"???)

;)

• Like 4
29 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Btw, this comment of mine here has now prompted me to re-examine my own earlier posted top ten list in order to see if there might be a similar strain running through it in this regard.

And so...

1- The Best Years of Our Lives  - Nobody dies in it, although one character DOES go missing after the first reel, but nobody seems to care

2- The Apartment - Nobody dies in it, although one person DOES get punched pretty well in it

3- Singin' in the Rain - Nobody dies in it

4- Casablanca - a few people die in it

5- The Third Man - a few people die in it

6- Out of the Past - a few people die in it

7- Sunset Blvd - one person dies in it

8- Dr. Strangelove - EVEYBODY dies in it except the few people who will make it into those mine shafts and where there will be ten women to every man...YEAH!!!

9- A Night at the Opera - nobody dies in it

10- It's a Wonderful Life - nobody dies in it, but wouldn't it be nice if that cranky old Mr. Potter did?

(...and now the only question here is: Do you think I should have prefaced this post with one of those "Spoiler Alerts"???)

;)

My own list is far more mixed:

How to Steal a Million (1966) No one dies.
The Thomas Crown Affair (1968) No one dies.
Two Comrades Served (1968) People are killed in battle. There are suicides.
Father Goose (1964) It is implied that people died when their ships were blown up.
The Hidden Fortress (1958) People are killed in battle and in sword fights.
Formula of Love (1984) No one dies.
Daisies (1966) No one dies on screen.
Blade Runner: The Final Cut (2007) Several people are killed for the greater good.
Monsters, Inc. (2001) No one dies.
The Pillow Book (1996) A suicide.

I am open to any suggestions on ways there movies might share an important attribute.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, SansFin said:

...I am open to any suggestions on ways these movies might share an important attribute.

Now THAT is good question here, Sans! I can't think of any common bonds between your listed movies, anyway.

In fact, looking over MY picks, I can't think of any either.

(...maybe this just means we have "eclective tastes"?) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've rethunk my list and decided that I took the cowards/lazy man's way out by just throwing up a bunch of stuff I really, really like instead of putting forth the effort to **** out the ten I really, really, REALLY like. So after much soul searching and ignoring the parts in front of me awaiting inspection here's my for realsies top ten...or twelve...no ten movies-

1- Casablanca

2- North by Northwest

3- Cool Hand Luke

4- To Be or Not to Be ( still the Jack Benny version please)

5- The Apartment

6- Monty Python and the Holy Grail

7- Bringing Up Baby

8- Portrait of Jenny

9- A Matter of Life and Death

10- The 7th Victim

There you have it.  The only connecting thread amongst them that I can tell is I drink a buncha Canada Dry Cranberry Ginger Ale and eat a lots of fried chicken when I watch them. Lots of fried chicken. Make of that what you may.

• Like 2

Mine-

1. 2001: A Space Odyssey

2. The Graduate

3. Citizen Kane

4. Tea and Sympathy

5. The Apartment

6. A Man For All Seasons

7. On the Waterfront

8. Gone With the Wind

9. Hamlet (1948)

10. Roman Holiday

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/25/2021 at 6:03 PM, SansFin said:

The Thomas Crown Affair (1968) and Father Goose (1964) are available for viewing for free with commercials on: PlutoTV. I suspect that you will like both of them based on your enjoying: How to Steal a Million (1966).

The Hidden Fortress (1958),  Daisies (1966) and Blade Runner: The Final Cut (2007) are available to subscribers to: HBO Max. The first two are available also to subscribers to: The Criterion Channel. The last is scheduled to appear on: TCM on July 30, 2021 at: 8:00PM ET. I am unsure if you might enjoy any of them because they are not like any on your list of favorites.

Monsters, Inc. (2001) and The Pillow Book (1996) are available if you subscribe to: Disney+ and Hoopla respectively. I am unsure of these also because they are not like any on your list.

All mentioned above may be available for rent or purchase on a number of streaming services. I use: www.justwatch.com to check availability on a number of services. The site has its faults but I consider it a good general guide. 

Formula of Love (1984) is available on: YouTube at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFW8kJ9Y1tM&ab_channel=Киноконцерн"Мосфильм" You may use English subtitles if your Russian is not up to it. I suspect you might like this is you have no repulsion to foreign movies. It is something of a romp. It is not based on a true story but is precisely the type of thing which Cagliostro was known to do.

Two Comrades Served (1968) is available on: YouTube at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7P3QbcI91U&ab_channel=Киноконцерн"Мосфильм" You may use English subtitles on this also. I will not make a guess if you might like this. It is more intense and personal than any on your list of favorites. Some people find the ending quite disturbing.

My only success at creating "Top Ten" lists is when I break it down by genre and decade and English/foreign.

@SansFin Thanks for the additional info! 😃 I have a Roku (and use it all the time). I’m maxed out on subscription services, so no HBOMax for me at the moment - but I haven’t tried Pluto TV. I’ll add it to my channels soon and look for the movies you’ve mentioned. I do have Disney+, though…I overlooked Monsters Inc. when I originally read your list - I’ve seen (and love) it, too. I enjoy pretty much all Pixar and Disney. 😊 To connect Disney and classic movies: Have you seen Atlantis: The Lost Empire? I watched it for the first time just recently (I remember I wasn’t interested when it was first released, as I was “too cool” for Disney at the time 🙄☺️). It’s worth seeing if for no reason than JAMES GARNER. 🤩 It’s by far my favorite performance of his - and that’s saying something! 

• Like 1
On 7/25/2021 at 9:19 PM, JakeHolman said:

1. SHANE

2. THE SEARCHERS

3. THE HANGING TREE

4.  YELLOW SKY

7. WESTWARD THE WOMEN

8. THE BRAVADOS

10.  MAN OF THE WEST

@JakeHolman Thanks for the list and the trailers. 😊 I’ve only seen Shane (with commercials 😕) and Liberty Valance - so far. 🙂 (I grew up in a family who adores Westerns, so I’m surprised I haven’t seen more!)

• Like 1
On 7/26/2021 at 12:01 PM, Citizen Ed said:

Welcome to the boards! I'm a newcomer here as well!

I like the originality of your list. Not the usual suspects that you normally see. My to ten is pretty fluid. It changes constantly.  Trying to make a list for this post I had at least 25 written before I finally stopped myself. Even at that as I was trying to narrow it down to ten and trying to determine which I enjoyed more, Fritz Lang/ Peter Lorre M or the amazing George Stevens/Alan Ladd Shane I suddenly remembered His Girl Friday and Bringing Up Baby. I'm like a kid let loose in a candy shop, I want it all.  So here's my top three, they've been in every one of my lists and the only thing that changes is which is number one (usually the one I've viewed most recent)

Cool Hand Luke

North by Northwest

Casablanca

and the rest of my usual suspects

The Usual Suspects

To Be or Not to Be (Jack Benny's version please)

Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House

The Apartment

Stalag 17

The Music Man

The Quiet Man

Shane

M

Das Testament Des Dr. Mabuse

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari

Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Black Orpheus

Carnival of Souls

Snatch

Wizard of Oz

Maetwan

The Natural

His Girl Friday

Bringing Up Baby

And now I've just remembered the Val Lewton RKO horror noire movies!  Those deserve a spot too. Just too big a job for too small a mind to try and winnow down.😂

@Citizen Ed Thanks so much! 😊 Since you’ve been so honest, I’ll make a confession: I keep larger lists on my phone - one of films I want to see, and one of films I love and want to remember. It was only because of that list that I was able to confidently choose ten (because the rest of my favorites are still technically on a list ☺️). I’ve seen a few from yours - some which I love and consider sentimental favorites or honorable mentions. (I first saw The Wizard of Oz at age 3 or 4. It was my earliest favorite film, and it still holds a special place in my heart. 💖)

• Like 1
On 7/29/2021 at 10:32 AM, Citizen Ed said:

I've rethunk my list and decided that I took the cowards/lazy man's way out by just throwing up a bunch of stuff I really, really like instead of putting forth the effort to **** out the ten I really, really, REALLY like. So after much soul searching and ignoring the parts in front of me awaiting inspection here's my for realsies top ten...or twelve...no ten movies-

1- Casablanca

2- North by Northwest

3- Cool Hand Luke

4- To Be or Not to Be ( still the Jack Benny version please)

5- The Apartment

6- Monty Python and the Holy Grail

7- Bringing Up Baby

8- Portrait of Jenny

9- A Matter of Life and Death

10- The 7th Victim

There you have it.  The only connecting thread amongst them that I can tell is I drink a buncha Canada Dry Cranberry Ginger Ale and eat a lots of fried chicken when I watch them. Lots of fried chicken. Make of that what you may.

@Citizen Ed Hey! 😃 You narrowed it down! Of this list, I’ve technically seen four, but it’s been so long since I’ve seen Cool Hand Luke and Bringing Up Baby, I really don’t remeber them. I need to watch Casablanca again, too. I actually had trouble following it the first time, but I’ll probably do better on a re-watch. The ending definitely lives up to the hype. 💖 It cannot be topped. (And, of course, I’ll look out for the rest of your list as well.)

• Like 1
On 7/26/2021 at 1:32 PM, Shank Asu said:

Welcome to the forum from another newbie.  Haven't seen all of your top 10 films.  I couldn't whittle my list down to 10.  I posted a top 100 on-line about 6 months ago.

@Shank Asu Hi! 😊 Thanks for the welcome. Top 100 - wow! 

• Like 1
On 7/28/2021 at 9:23 PM, Dargo said:

LOL

(...notice that too?)

@Dargo Mine have the disturbing connection of suicide (which I didn’t realize until well after I made the list). 🙈 So, don’t feel bad, @JakeHolman. Issues of life and death often make for a compelling movie.

• Like 1
On 7/30/2021 at 2:55 PM, TheGrandMaster said:

Mine-

1. 2001: A Space Odyssey

2. The Graduate

3. Citizen Kane

4. Tea and Sympathy

5. The Apartment

6. A Man For All Seasons

7. On the Waterfront

8. Gone With the Wind

9. Hamlet (1948)

10. Roman Holiday

@TheGrandMaster I’ve seen a few of these. (On the Waterfront would be one of my “honorable mentions”.) I’ll be on the lookout for the rest! 😊

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Jillian Atchley said:

Have you seen Atlantis: The Lost Empire?

I believe that I watched it a very long time ago. I am sorry to say that I remember little of it.

First of all, as others have mentioned… Welcome to the Message Boards!!!

As you probably know there are many opinions that exist on the message boards and frequently we have new members as well as other long time members who like to post their favorite films and or “Top Ten” films.

I have been a big supporter of those folks who like to publish their Top Tens or favorites, and although I do have a list of top favorites, I have found it increasingly difficult over the years to hobble together a “Greatest” Top Ten list based solely on objective reasoning.

In my opinion, it is very difficult to create a list of an actual Top Ten based on objective reasoning. I prefer to list films based on how I like them. Another criteria of mine is how much I can watch a film over and over again without getting bored. More subjective. I can easily select a top ten list of favorite films based on my own subjective reasoning. I am not a film scholar, but I do have a wide variety of opinions based on what I like and therefore can present a Top Ten Favorite listing.

1. The Adventures of Robin Hood  1938

2. The Professionals  1966

3. Seven Days in May  1964

4. The Best Years of Our Lives  1946

5. Bite the Bullet  1975

6. Executive Suite  1954

7. The Enemy Below  1957

8. The Martian  2015

9. The Talk of the Town  1942

10. The Wind and the Lion  1975

Of course if you were to ask me a week from now, possibly five of these films would not be on this list... HA HA HA.

Again, welcome to the boards!!!

• Like 3