Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

MGM at Tokyo Olympics?

Uananon

It's true!  Not 2021, but 1964.  I just watched the 1964 Tokyo Olympics documentary on TCM.  Aside from being one of the better shot Olympics docs, there is a Hollywood moment most people would miss.   Starting 1:06:00, two men holding trumpets are spotted in the crowd, briefly, just before the start of the 4x100m mens relay finals. They then play a little encouragement to the U.S.A. runners by riffing on 'California, Here I Come"  before the start of the race. These two men, left to right on your screen, are none other than the legendary Manny Klein of the Dorsey, Goodman (and other) swing orchestras, but his friend on the right of the screen in sunglasses is none other than the great Uan Rasey, 1st trumpet at MGM for more than 25 years!  When Gene Kelly dances to the trumpet solo in American in Paris, or his horn is the central theme in the Chinatown soundtrack, you've heard his amazing work.  Those who knew him knew he was a RABID track and field fan, and had written into his contract at MGM time off for vacation during any summer Olympics.  In fact, Uan attended every summer Olympics from 1948 to 1996.  I've never met a nicer guy....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1