Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Case of the missing 8yr old in Dragonwyck

PBS just showed  1946 Dragonwyck with MAIN characters Vincent Price and  Gene Tierney.   The 8yr old girl Katrine, was in the first half of the movie was never  seen or talked about in the second half.!!!  Genes character, Mildred, was tasked with moving to Dragonwyck to be the girls companion.  Katrine was also Vincent Prices daughter.  When Mildred moved away from Dragonwyck halfway through the movie no one ever mentioned what became of the girl???.  Later Mildred moves BACK to Dragonwyck to marry Vincent and STILL no sight of the girl.   This really bugged me.   Does anyone know if they explained the missing girl?   Did i miss something?  Thanks for reading.  

• Like 1

I also was confused by her lack of presence in the second half of the film!

• Like 1

As a well-known TV show put it, it's not about the kid(s). I didn't miss the daughter too much as she

really wasn't a main character and not part of the main plot. Maybe she was sent to a boarding

school. 

4 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Last I heard Katrine was with Rob Stephenson,  the son who also disappeared from The Best Years of Our Lives.

Yes, but that relationship didn't last.

(...and she ended up marrying Chuck Cunningham)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
11 hours ago, Dargo said:

Yes, but that relationship didn't last.

(...and she ended up marrying Chuck Cunningham)

Ah,  you must be watching ME-TV!     Right after I posted this joke about Best Years, (one that I knew you would get),  I saw the ME-TV promo for Happy Days, and  'what happened to Chuck Cunningham'.

• Like 2
19 hours ago, ReneeTCM said:

PBS just showed  1946 Dragonwyck with MAIN characters Vincent Price and  Gene Tierney.   The 8yr old girl Katrine, was in the first half of the movie was never  seen or talked about in the second half.!!!  Genes character, Mildred, was tasked with moving to Dragonwyck to be the girls companion.  Katrine was also Vincent Prices daughter.  When Mildred moved away from Dragonwyck halfway through the movie no one ever mentioned what became of the girl???.  Later Mildred moves BACK to Dragonwyck to marry Vincent and STILL no sight of the girl.   This really bugged me.   Does anyone know if they explained the missing girl?   Did i miss something?  Thanks for reading.  

I noticed that, too.  As Gene Tierney was bidding the doctor goodbye after Vincent Price's "demise," I thought:  "Where's the kid?  Aren't you the stepmother??"  Really poor continuity on the part of the director.  All he had to do was throw the kid in Gene's carriage and we would assume she was going to be taken care of.  Oops!

The actress, Connie Marshall, is also featured in "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House." She's one of the daughters,  known for her pithy line reading directed at Cary Grant and Myrna Loy:  "Bicker, bicker, bicker."

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, lydecker said:

I noticed that, too.  As Gene Tierney was bidding the doctor goodbye after Vincent Price's "demise," I thought:  "Where's the kid?  Aren't you the stepmother??"  Really poor continuity on the part of the director.  All he had to do was throw the kid in Gene's carriage and we would assume she was going to be taken care of.  Oops!

The actress, Connie Marshall, is also featured in "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House." She's one of the daughters,  known for her pithy line reading directed at Cary Grant and Myrna Loy:  "Bicker, bicker, bicker."

Thanks, so I guess i wasnt the only one who noticed.   Really bad continuity, otherwise i did enjoy it!

13 hours ago, Vautrin said:

As a well-known TV show put it, it's not about the kid(s). I didn't miss the daughter too much as she

really wasn't a main character and not part of the main plot. Maybe she was sent to a boarding

school. 

Guess we’ll never know.

20 hours ago, ReneeTCM said:

Does anyone know if they explained the missing girl?   Did i miss something?

I thought I missed something too, maybe a line of dialogue where they explained what happened to her, but I don't think so.

An interesting thing about the film is I recall a clip of Vincent Price on the Tonight Show in the 1970s. Johnny Carson asks Price about a film he made, calling it a "western" for some reason where he played a feudal land baron. Price immediately says "Dragonwyck! Oh, a good picture". 

3 hours ago, ReneeTCM said:

Guess we’ll never know.

Sometimes things just have to remain a mystery. Maybe she tried to sneak into West Point or was

decapitated by Rob Stephenson when he was fooling around with his samurai sword {Rob was no Mifune}.

I had never seen the whole of Dragonwyck before. It certainly checks all the gothic melodrama boxes and,

if not very original, is still pretty entertaining.

Maybe what happened to the daughter was cut out in the editing room to keep the run time down?  Maybe it was thought no one would care enough to dislike the movie simply because the little girl disappeared halfway through.  Perhaps there was some kind of subplot involving the little girl that was thought to bog down the main plot so it was /excised/. 

I'm just guessin' of course, but without a copy of the shooting script it's hard to know what happened.  

It's similar to a plot point in the 1976 Western BREAKHEART PASS.  You see Joe Kapp throughout the movie as one of the train porters . . . but you never know what happens to him.  Did he get killed or survive?  Who knows?  All the other characters in the movie we know what happened to whether it was good or bad.  But not Joe Kapp The Porter! 

5 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

I thought I missed something too, maybe a line of dialogue where they explained what happened to her, but I don't think so.

An interesting thing about the film is I recall a clip of Vincent Price on the Tonight Show in the 1970s. Johnny Carson asks Price about a film he made, calling it a "western" for some reason where he played a feudal land baron. Price immediately says "Dragonwyck! Oh, a good picture". 

I assume Carson was thinking about The Baron of Arizona while what came to Price's mind was Dragonwyck.

There are similarities  in the plot as it relates to a governess and a child.  

• Like 1

I recall seeing this movie years ago -- noting it because I was brought up in the Hudson Valley and I liked the references.  There was even a motel once in Hyde Park called "The Dutch Patroon."  I hangs together better than I recall and Gene is wonderful, as is Huston, but yea, the disappearing kid is more than a bit strange!

I'm concerned about what happened to Minerva Urecal's character in The Living Ghost (1942). She has a great scene with James Dunn, leaves the room to go to bed, and vanishes from the story.

the-living-ghost-3.png?w=700