Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

our personal computer legacies

my past junk:   I started out back in 1999 with a Packard Bell desktop clunker my sister gave me. the old thing has a cyrix mll 333mhz processor. it had I think 64MBs of ram and a 6.4 hard drive.                             :lol:                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               the big crt monitor had these mesh grilled speakers that attached to both sides of the monitor. the sound quality was pretty decent even by todays standards. my next desktop was an eMachines 633ids with the awful windows millennium. after that came a Dell Dimension 3000 with a 2.8Ghz processor. after that a thin profile Dell inspiron with 14nm onboard chip at 2.4 but could boost up to 2.6Ghz.             big wup. that had a 512gb hard drive and a DVD drive...but now I got me a ASUS Vivobook X712JA-211-VBSB with a 17.3 IPS screen with an immersive 85% screen-to-body ratio. watching a youtube ST-TMP video clip knocked my socks off. it was like seeing it on the big screen. It has the fantastic sound coming fron a Honk usb speaker that only cost me 16.00 from walmart. :D                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            

I've only owned 5 computers in 20 years & very sorry I sold my original putty Mac SE-30 with the 8" screen, now a collector's item.  At least I kept my Bondi Blue Wedge, the first iMac. Even my Mac clone (UMax) was purchased by a collector. 

With the technology surge towards phones, it's necessary to keep 2 computers; one to work/create with and another dedicated to the internet & all it's upgrades.

5 hours ago, Updyke said:

but now I got me a

Whoa. Grammar.

• Haha 1

My very first computer was a Tandy Color Computer in 1983.  Computers were expensive then, a single 5 1/4 inch floppy drive was $400.00! Upgraded to a CoCo III with 512K of memory and an additional 5 1/4 and 2 3.5 inch floppies within a single full height case.

The first XT class was a Tandy 1000HX, which had odd expansion slots with a 90 degree connector - very RARE!

Upgraded it 7 ways to Sunday, think I had the most expanded 8088 system of all time.  Had VGA,, memory card which had selectable memory, a bus mouse, SCSI port, serial, parallel ports,  16 channel Adlib on top of the already Tandy Sound, an internal 42 meg SCSI hard drive, external SCSI 1.4  meg hard drive and CD Rom.  Besides the 2 3.5 inch floppies an external 5 1/4 inch drive.  Broke a myth even Microsoft stated in that an 8088 system CAN NOT run Windows 3.0 in a multitasking role  (called Real Mode).  Swap the task manager with the one in the Metz Utilities software bundle.  Ran several applications at once including  "Intermission" screen saver.

So many files, folders eventually received a file creation error.  Had a menu software and batch files to control everything. Done so much can't go into anymore detail.  I was not intimidated by command line interpretation which a lot of computer uses hated.  Would leave a spoiled GUI dependent Generation Z crying for mama.

A fax modem gave me access to BBS services, downloaded a lot!

Don't complain to me about your slow computer, the XT class will give you a new meaning of slow.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Updyke said:

my past junk:   I started out back in 1999 with a Packard Bell desktop clunker my sister gave me. the old thing has a cyrix mll 333mhz processor. it had I think 64MBs of ram and a 6.4 hard drive.                             :lol:                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              

Also got a Packard Bell Legend in 1999 but the clock speed is 75 MHZ using Pentium I.  Still using it (rarely) for Win 98 and DOS (multiboot possible using V Tech System  Commander). 

A HP CD writer and backup tape drive installed.  Use Roxio to burn CD's.

An IBM 300GL is used for DOS / Win 3.1 only.

After Dark Star Trek screensaver is used.

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 1
11 hours ago, hamradio said:

My very first computer was a Tandy Color Computer in 1983.  Computers were expensive then, a single 5 1/4 inch floppy drive was $400.00! Upgraded to a CoCo III with 512K of memory and an additional 5 !/4 and 2 3.5 inch floppies within a single full height case.

The first XT class was a Tandy 1000HX, which had odd expansion slots with a 90 degree connector - very RARE!

Upgraded it 7 ways to Sunday, think I had the most expanded 8088 system of all time.  Had VGA,, memory card which had selectable memory, a bus mouse, SCSI port, serial, parallel ports,  16 channel Adlib on top of the already Tandy Sound, an internal 42 meg SCSI hard drive, external SCSI 1.4  meg hard drive and CD Rom.  Besides the 2 3.5 inch floppies an external 5 1/4 inch drive.  Broke a myth even Microsoft stated in that an 8088 system CAN NOT run Windows 3.0 in a multitasking role  (called Real Mode).  Swap the task manager with the one in the Metz Utilities software bundle.  Ran several applications at once including  "Intermission" screen saver.

So many files, folders eventually received a file creation error.  Had a menu software and batch files to control everything. Done so much can't go into anymore detail.  I was not intimidated by command line interpretation which a lot of computer uses hated.  Would leave a spoiled GUI dependent Generation Z crying for mama.

A fax modem gave me access to BBS services, downloaded a lot!

Don't complain to me about your slow computer, the XT class will give you a new meaning of slow.

I still have my old 8230e HP CD Writer in a drawer.