Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I have found a great orchestra showcasing some great film music... The Film Symphony Orchestra

Since I have loved watching films over the years there is one element of filming that I have absolutely fell in love with and that is the scoring of films. I have found a great YouTube channel from the Film Symphony Orchestra… I will try and post as many of these wonderful bits of films I have discovered…

From the FSO website:  

What is FSO?
The Film Symphony Orchestra is a ground-breaking artistic project which was founded to address a gap in the musical and cultural industry in Spain. We are an elite, professional symphony orchestra made up of more than 70 musicians, exclusively dedicated to music for cinema and related art forms. Led by the internationally acclaimed composer and conductor Constantino Martínez Orts, the FSO performs a rich program of film music concerts, sometimes accompanied by visual projections. We also offer composers the chance to record their own soundtracks.
With cinema always at its core, and with a consistent preoccupation for quality, Film symphony Orchestra launches a singular, innovative initiative which aims to bring symphonic music to a wide audience, uniting culture, art and spectacle under the umbrella of one unique experience.

https://filmsymphony.es/en/

Here is the great Lawrence of Arabia...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYXkSCelRpc

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
3 hours ago, fxreyman said:

Since I have loved watching films over the years there is one element of filming that I have absolutely fell in love with and that is the scoring of films. I have found a great YouTube channel from the Film Symphony Orchestra… I will try and post as many of these wonderful bits of films I have discovered…

From the FSO website:  

What is FSO?
The Film Symphony Orchestra is a ground-breaking artistic project which was founded to address a gap in the musical and cultural industry in Spain. We are an elite, professional symphony orchestra made up of more than 70 musicians, exclusively dedicated to music for cinema and related art forms. Led by the internationally acclaimed composer and conductor Constantino Martínez Orts, the FSO performs a rich program of film music concerts, sometimes accompanied by visual projections. We also offer composers the chance to record their own soundtracks.
With cinema always at its core, and with a consistent preoccupation for quality, Film symphony Orchestra launches a singular, innovative initiative which aims to bring symphonic music to a wide audience, uniting culture, art and spectacle under the umbrella of one unique experience.

https://filmsymphony.es/en/

Here is the great Lawrence of Arabia...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYXkSCelRpc

Music Does Make the World a Better, More Livable and Habitable Place.

• Like 1

Haven't time at the moment.  But do they plan a performance of the great score CARMINE COPPOLA composed for the big tour of the revival of Abel Gance's  NAPOLEON?

I saw the film when it came to Detroit with the DSO performing the score live as the film played and it was conducted by Carmine himself!  And tell the truth, 

The FSO seems to be more than adequate for the task.  :) 

Sepiatone

• Like 1
5 hours ago, fxreyman said:

he Film Symphony Orchestra

Have they ever played Carnegie Hall? I would go to see them if they ever play there. Carnegie Hall is still closed for performances but are supposed to open up again in the Fall.

There's a similar orchestra in the UK:  The John Wilson Orchestra.  They're usually at the BBC Proms every year, and you can find videos of them on YouTube.

They also specialize in Broadway scores, and often team up with vocal performers as well.

The instrumentation of the orchestra follows the old movie studio orchestra model, and his intent is to use the original studio arrangements wherever possible.  Most orchestral concert presentations of film score music that we hear today in symphony or Pops concerts have a different arrangement/orchestration from the original film score.

Here's one example from Hermann's Psycho score:

• Like 4
19 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

Have they ever played Carnegie Hall? I would go to see them if they ever play there. Carnegie Hall is still closed for performances but are supposed to open up again in the Fall.

Not sure. I am fairly sure that since they are Spain-based, they probably have toured? Not really sure. Maybe their website can provide additional details.

• Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, fxreyman said:

Another one... The Big Country

While Perhaps a bit too Comedic for some, the Spaghetti Westrn Orchestra is an - Eclectic and Impressive Ensemble imo

I'll try and find a Concert/Performance of theres to link in on this Topical Thread. Though i've had not the best results with uploading media so no offense but dont hold your collective breath.

19 hours ago, txfilmfan said:

There's a similar orchestra in the UK:  The John Wilson Orchestra.  They're usually at the BBC Proms every year, and you can find videos of them on YouTube.

Here's one example from Hermann's Psycho score:

That's a really superbly conducted and played performance! I'm used to the Esa-Pekka Salonen recording (which is also excellent), but this is much more intense. Every nuance of the orchestration is audible.  The players even manage to make their pizzicati (at the end of the shower scene) loud enough to be intimidating, which is quite a feat. Thanks for sharing.

1 hour ago, Aritosthenes said:

While Perhaps a bit too Comedic for some, the Spaghetti Westrn Orchestra is an - Eclectic and Impressive Ensemble imo

Yeah, but not really much of an orchestra  ;)   Entertaining though.

Sepiatone

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, Fausterlitz said:

That's a really superbly conducted and played performance! I'm used to the Esa-Pekka Salonen recording (which is also excellent), but this is much more intense. Every nuance of the orchestration is audible.  The players even manage to make their pizzicati (at the end of the shower scene) loud enough to be intimidating, which is quite a feat. Thanks for sharing.

Yes, I've heard details in the score from this performance that I've not noticed before.