Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Matching astrology signs?

David Proulx

Showing stars' movies during their respective astrological sign could be an extremely light, even fun, way of sorting them at times, just for kicks, but to have Alicia acutually interviewing someone who's an "expert" in this, and with what seems to be with some degree of seriousness? WTH? I was watching this stunned, as Alicia seems to be truly soaking this in as a believer, and assuming we might be too, or maybe "educating" us on it. How very mind numbing! I was very disappointed that TCM would allow this horribly laughable idea to see the light of day and insult its viewership. I had to change channels in disgust before the interview was over. It's a shame, because it was to introduce a very good movie, but I'm done w/ TCM for the night, shaking my head.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Could not agree more. I place astrology in the same bucket as phrenology, spiritualism,  psychics, mediums, ouija boards, fortune telling and flat earth advocates. TCM has reached a low point in allowing its platform to be used promote and validate belief in astrology. Some have suggested in another thread that Alicia's body language at times made it seem she was uncomfortable with this nod to nonsense on Tuesday nights, but I didn't pick that up al all. She seems to be completely on board with this notion.

Astrologers who succeed at their con games do so because they are skilled at telling clients only what they want to hear about themselves. That's why you almost never hear anything even slightly negative in these 'readings'. It's basic nature not to question something you want to hear about yourself. Did anyone notice that 'noted astrologer' Susan Miller had only superlatives to offer about each of the stars. All astrologers play this same time-proven game - no one apparently is ever destined by the stars to end up in prison for being a child molester or axe murderer.

After the Phrenology series suggested by Sukhov, why not try for a new TCM low by holding seances before each screening with a medium who can contact the spirits of dead actors and get their views on the film? After all, shouldn't the dead have a right to be heard too?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

How about a series of "Faith-Based" movies focusing on  movies  in which actors who are/were Catholics actually played characters who were Catholics and so on.....

Or actors and actresses who played roles "against faith".   You know....  Protestant actors who played Catholic characters, etc.  

Sepiatone

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

How about a series of "Faith-Based" movies focusing on  movies  in which actors who are/were Catholics actually played characters who were Catholics and so on.....

Or actors and actresses who played roles "against faith".   You know....  Protestant actors who played Catholic characters, etc.  

Sepiatone

Isn't there a film starring devout Catholic Spencer Tracy as a protestant minister?

17 hours ago, David Proulx said:

Showing stars' movies during their respective astrological sign could be an extremely light, even fun, way of sorting them at times, just for kicks, but to have Alicia acutually interviewing someone who's an "expert" in this, and with what seems to be with some degree of seriousness? WTH? I was watching this stunned, as Alicia seems to be truly soaking this in as a believer, and assuming we might be too, or maybe "educating" us on it. How very mind numbing! I was very disappointed that TCM would allow this horribly laughable idea to see the light of day and insult its viewership. I had to change channels in disgust before the interview was over. It's a shame, because it was to introduce a very good movie, but I'm done w/ TCM for the night, shaking my head.

I agree with Edmund (the base) from Shakespeare:

" This is the excellent foppery of the world, that,
when we are sick in fortune,--often the surfeit
of our own behavior,--we make guilty of our
disasters the sun, the moon, and the stars: as
if we were villains by necessity; fools by
heavenly compulsion; knaves, thieves, and
treachers, by spherical predominance; drunkards,
liars, and adulterers, by an enforced obedience of
planetary influence; and all that we are evil in,
by a divine thrusting on: an admirable evasion
of whoremaster man, to lay his goatish
disposition to the charge of a star! My
father compounded with my mother under the
dragon's tail; and my nativity was under Ursa
major; so that it follows, I am rough and
lecherous. Tut, I should have been that I am,
had the maidenliest star in the firmament
twinkled on my bastardizing. "

Take that, Alicia (and your "expert") !!!

from King Lear (I ii)

[apologies, I just posted this speech

on another thread, germane to both]

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

A great astrology themed movie to play on TCM would be Decameron Nights (1953). Joan Fontaine's husband is an astrology obsessed weirdo who she intensely hates and leaves for a pirate. I think that perfectly sums up my opinion of this programming.

x1080

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings