Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

On 7/30/2021 at 10:06 AM, Sepiatone said:

Well, as someone who grew up hearing a variety of accents( Polish, Russian, Hungarian, Italian , Armenian and others due to my family and some friend's families and others) , the British  and Australian accents are much easier to understand than most of those other pea soup thick Eastern European accents.  ;)   But thanks to that exposure, I'm able to decipher most  of what the "customer service" gleep from Mumbai is talking about.  ;) 

Sepiatone

I can't understand Scottish people for the life of me.

• Like 1

I got the impression after the last Meet and Greet with the hosts for the 2021 Classic Film Fest, that they do all their own writing for the intros, so i would tend to think Alicia did have a say on it.  While i am in the camp that i do not care for the star signs intros, i guess after so long it's tough to come up with something new- otherwise TCM could just air the same intros for the same films that get shown repeatedly over the years.

But yeah, i see some of the unflattering remarks on here and think some are uncalled for.  And this is from someone who has no problem with the comments about people voicing their opinions about the preaching of woke culture.  those complaints seem legit, but negative comments on looks are not.  just mean.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
2 hours ago, Shank Asu said:

...And this is from someone who has no problem with the comments about people voicing their opinions about the preaching of woke culture.  those complaints seem legit...

Ah HA! So THIS explains that "confused" emoji response you just gave me today in that earlier post of mine and where I went on that tear about how I'm sick and tired of people comin' on here and grippin'  about the hosts supplying what is in REALITY is more a case of historical context, EH Shank?! ;) 

2 hours ago, Shank Asu said:

...but negative comments on looks are not.  just mean.

So then I take it comments about their VOICES is still alright then, RIGHT?! 

(...and 'cause ya know, both Ben AND Alicia DO kind'a talk through their noses, don't YA?!!!)

LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
7 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Ah HA! So THIS explains that "confused" emoji response you just gave me today in that earlier post of mine and where I went on that tear about how I'm sick and tired of people comin' on here and grippin'  about hosts supplying what in reality is historical context, EH Shank?! ;) 

So then I take it comments about their VOICES is still alright then, RIGHT?! 

(...and 'cause ya know, both Ben AND Alicia DO kind'a talk through their noses, don't YA?!!!)

LOL

Ha, yeah, that probably explains it.  But you know, that's just my opinion.  I complain when i start getting overwhelmed by it and i think it becomes a the dominant trend- which is was most of last year when it felt like people were looking for new things to be offended by. IMO obviously.

Voices might be fair game.  I read the other day that Clark Gable purposely changed the sound of his voice which after a while became how he naturally spoke.

17 minutes ago, Shank Asu said:

That's fair game.  I read the other day that Clark Gable purposely changed the sound of his voice which after a while became how he naturally spoke.

You mean it wasn't because he once heard Dwight D. Eisenhower talking and said to himself, "Now THAT'S a guy I wanna sound like!" ???  ;) 

(...ya know, there was quite a similarity between the sound of these two men's voices, don't ya?...but then again, you're probably not nearly old enough to remember how Ike sounded, are ya)

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Dargo said:

You mean it wasn't because he once heard Dwight D. Eisenhower talking and said to himself, "Now THAT'S a guy I wanna sound like!" ???  ;) 

(...ya know, there was quite a similarity between the sound of these two men's voices, don't ya?...but then again, you're probably not nearly old enough to remember how Ike sounded, are ya)

I know i've heard ike speak before in documentaries, but off the top of my head i can't recall it.  i'll try to look up the resemblance now though- that's interesting.

22 minutes ago, Mr. Gorman said:

@Dargo:  Ya know why I don't like country singer Randy Travis very much?  Cos he sings through his damn nose!  Ugh! 

Yes, BUT do you think you'll feel this way about Randy forever and ever (ahem), Mr.G???  ;)

(...btw, don't pretty much ALL country music singers "sing through their nose"?...I've always thought most of 'em do, anyway)

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Shank Asu said:

Voices might be fair game.  I read the other day that Clark Gable purposely changed the sound of his voice which after a while became how he naturally spoke.

As for "voices might be fair game":  I was listening to my jazz radio station and there was a host I hadn't heard before;   she said "I'm going to be your new favorite host";  Well I said to myself NO!!!      I didn't like her voice.  The pitch was too high and I just didn't like the sound.

But since I just took a work sponsored session on unconscious bias and inclusion,   I realized I was being biased.     I like deep male,  mellow sounding voices for my radio host since that is what I was used to.        It wasn't so much what the host was saying  or their knowledge of jazz (since this type of host doesn't get to say much anyhow), but just my initial impression of one's voice.      So I decided that I wouldn't turn her off but instead see if I could get use to her voice. 

My male friends refuse to listen to female NBA announcers but I was able to trick them;    I played a game where I knew Doris Burke was the announcer.    She has a fairly deep voice so one can't place the gender.     She is also very knowledge about the game.    So one of them said "I like this announcer,  who is he?"!          Ah,  the earth shifted,,,, slightly.

• Like 1

@Dargo:  I think I will not like Randy Travis's style of singing forever and ever.   AMEN.  I really don't know why he was so popular.  😜

@james_and_thy_jazzy_guitar:  So have you gotten used to the new DJ's voice yet?   Have some coffee  

So James, sorry but I have to ask...

34 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

...But since I just took a work sponsored session on unconscious bias and inclusion,   I realized I was being biased.    

Okay, fess up. Now WHAT in the world did you do OR say in your work environment that caused the people at HR to send you to this session, HUH?!!! 

;)  LOL

37 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I like deep male,  mellow sounding voices for my radio host since that is what I was used to.        It wasn't so much what the host was saying  or their knowledge of jazz (since this type of host doesn't get to say much anyhow), but just my initial impression of one's voice.      So I decided that I wouldn't turn her off but instead see if I could get use to her voice. 

Yep, most do. It's been proven scientifically that the majority of people have almost a primal inclination to associate a strong, deep and especially resonant voice with that of those in or "should be" in positions of authority, or with those who are more likely to be or become more successful in life.

• Like 2
34 minutes ago, Dargo said:

So James, sorry but I have to ask...

Okay, fess up. Now WHAT in the world did you do OR say in your work environment that caused the people at HR to send you to this session, HUH?!!! 

;)  LOL

Yep, most do. It's been proven scientifically that the majority of people have almost a primal inclination to associate a strong, deep and especially resonant voice with that of those in or "should be" in positions of authority, or with those who are more likely to be or become more successful in life.

The company of over 800 employees hired an outside HR consulting firm and everyone is required to participate.      This video was only the first step.

It is my understanding the majority of corporations are doing this in either 2021 or 2022.

George Floyd is the reason.    

As for "primal inclination":   I find that hard to believe;   what you're saying is that people were born to be sexist.

29 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

The company of over 800 employees hired an outside HR consulting firm and everyone is required to participate.      This video was only the first step.

It is my understanding the majority of corporations are doing this in either 2021 or 2022.

George Floyd is the reason.    

I was just kiddin' here of course, James. Yep, I pretty much figured your participation in those sessions was mandatory for all the employees at your place of business, and as were the ones that became mandatory for all to take when I worked at Northwest Airlines and at the time the issue of "sexual harassment" came forefront during a certain Supreme Court Justice's confirmation hearings.

29 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

As for "primal inclination":   I find that hard to believe;   what you're saying is that people were born to be sexist.

No, not necessarily, and because if you go back and re-read what I wrote, you will find I made no mention of "gender" in it. And because, and as you yourself mentioned in your previous posting of that female sports announcer who possessed a deep and resonant voice. And so in effect, you yourself admitting that females are capable of possessing such a voice too.

(...and also btw, why do you think you hear so many younger females doing that whole "vocal fry" thing with their voices and which entails an attempt at lowering their voices in order to sound as if what they're saying has more "gravitas" to it?!...are all these, and yes primarily it seems young women, being "sexist"???

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Dargo said:

I was just kiddin' here of course, James. Yep, I pretty much figured your participation in those sessions was mandatory for all the employees at your place of business, and as were the ones that became mandatory for all to take when I worked at Northwest Airlines and at the time the issue of "sexual harassment" came forefront during a certain Supreme Court Justice's confirmation hearings.

No, not necessarily, and because if you go back and re-read what I wrote, you will find I made no mention of "gender" in it. And because, and as you yourself mentioned in your previous posting of that female sports announcer who possessed a deep and resonant voice. And so in effect, you yourself admitting that females are capable of possessing such a voice too.

(...and also btw, why do you think you hear so many younger females doing that whole "vocal fry" thing with their voices and which entails an attempt at lowering their voices in order to sound as if what they're saying has more "gravitas" to it?!...are all these, and yes primarily it seems young women, being "sexist"???

I agree that most people are biased toward a deep and  resonant voice as being more authoritarian (i.e. most trusting,   more likely to take seriously etc..),  but I assume this is a learned behavior.   I.e.  it is not "primal" but learned based on experience.   I.e.  most announcers had such voices so our expectations were set that this was the "right" (or "best"), voice for the job.

And btw, and in regard to this issue of "voice", AND while the following is sure to sounds as if I am once again "blowing my own horn" here...

I had THREE different passengers in my van who I was transporting between Sedona and Phoenix yesterday, once again tell me that I had a very nice voice and sound as if I should be a "radio announcer".

(...just sayin') 

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Dargo said:

And btw, and in regard to this issue of "voice", AND while the following is sure to sounds as if I am once again "blowing my own horn" here...

I had THREE different passengers in my van who I was transporting between Sedona and Phoenix yesterday, once again tell me that I had a very nice voice and sound as if I should be a "radio announcer".

(...just sayin') 

When you worked for the airlines,   you were the "voice" that the passengers would hear,  correct?     I assume so and that everyone liked your voice expect for Kirk Douglas.

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I agree that most people are biased toward a deep and  resonant voice as being more authoritarian (i.e. most trusting,   more likely to take seriously etc..),  but I assume this is a learned behavior.   I.e.  it is not "primal" but learned based on experience.   I.e.  most announcers had such voices so our expectations were set that this was the "right" (or "best"), voice for the job.

Okay then,  here's what might be another example of why this sort'a thing might be "primal" in its origins.

Say you run into a wild animal somewhere that seems threatening. In order to attempt to scare the thing away, do you think it is more likely to BE scared away by the sound of a loud, deep and resonant voice than it is by a voice that is merely loud?

(...funny, isn't it folks, how a thread that supposed to be about a TCM host has somehow segued into a discussion about what kind of voice is most likely to scare away a wild animal???...hmmm, maybe THIS is why I like spendin' so much damn time on these boards...ya never know WHERE this stuff is gonna lead to!)

LOL

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Okay then,  here's what might be another example of why this sort'a thing might be "primal" in its origins.

Say you run into a wild animal somewhere that seems threatening. In order to attempt to scare the thing away, do you think it is more likely to BE scared away by the sound of a loud, deep and resonant voice than it is by a voice that is merely loud?

(...funny, isn't it folks, how a thread that supposed to be about a TCM host has somehow segued into a discussion about what kind of voice is most likely to scare away a wild animal???...hmmm, maybe THIS is why I like spendin' so much damn time on these boards...ya never know WHERE this stuff is gonna lead to!)

LOL

I think this type of voice would scare any animal away more so than a voice like Orson Welles.     

Jackie Joseph - Wikipedia

• Haha 1
10 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

When you worked for the airlines,   were the "voice" that the passengers would hear?     I assume so and that everyone liked your voice expect for Kirk Douglas.

LOL

I gotta admit he ESPECIALLY didn't like it when I did that impression of him to his face, anyway!!!

(...naaah, not really...but I COULD have...ya see, my Kirk Douglas, Henry Fonda and Clark Gable impressions I do sometimes in that aforementioned van are ALWAYS a big hit, ya know...and primarily because the demographics of those passengers tend to skew to the, well lets just say, those in their "golden years" and so they're old enough to remember these guys)

• Haha 1
10 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I think this type of voice would scare any animal away more so than a voice like Orson Welles.     

Jackie Joseph - Wikipedia

LOL

Well, it certainly didn't "scare away" one Ernest T. Bass anyway, RIGHT?!

(...nope, it actually attracted that guy, and HE would often ACT like a wild animal)

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Dargo said:

LOL

Well, it certainly didn't "scare away" one Ernest T. Bass anyway, RIGHT?!

(...nope, it actually attracted that guy, and HE would often ACT like a wild animal)

Nor Ken Berry (at least until they divorced).  And Ms. Joseph is still with us, at 87.

• Like 2