Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Alicia Malone


Philip1749
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Moe Howard said:

There's plenty of myth about it's origins, but a place where it's actually written is in the March 1865 Freedmen's Act. And it's important to note these were never to be gifted. The "40 acres and mules" were to be rented from the Freedmen's Bureau. The "acres"  either "abandoned" or confiscated, usually the result of tax arrears.  Union loyal refugee or Freedmen could apply, pay a 6% annual rent for an up to 3 year lease. Property could be purchased at anytime during that term.

Of course the agents that worked for the bureau made all kinds of promises to get former slaves to vote for their shill candidates and that is where the myth probably came from.

Well I suppose once they were former slaves, they themselves were responsible. Any previous policy to deny such a thing was now nullified. The children of freedmen was a different, more complicated matter.

I believe it originated with a special order from General Sherman, supported by Lincoln, in early 1865. That

was likely coped into the Freedman's Act a few months later. Andrew Johnson put a halt to any forty acres

and a mule later in 1865. I don't know if the promises made to former slaves for voting were any more

egregious than was common at the time or if the all the candidates were shills.

 

Yes, the slaves were responsible for their illiteracy. The plantations owners supported a K-12 comprehensive

education program for their human property that would be the envy of any modern private school. They

also founded universities for advanced instruction leading to a bachelor's degree. It's unfortunate that so

few slaves took advantage of these marvelous educational opportunities. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Dargo said:

LOL

Love it, Moe!

But the wife might frown upon Alicia sittin' in my car, and even though she knows she can trust me.

(...well,  for the most part anyway)  ;)

Sitting in?!?!

Wait till your wife finds out you've given Malone free reign to convert it to right hand drive and gets it on alternating weekends. 

**. . do Aussies have right hand drive? No matter! What Alicia wants, Alicia gets! 

 . . . . unless it's looking svelte in god awful blue polyester slacks.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Dargo said:

 

 

2 hours ago, Dargo said:

Yeah maybe, but neither of 'em can, ahem, "touch this" when I came to THIS guy here...

Hammer.jpg&ehk=qtySLHxvtxj7HrwxlVvW1hrgO

I've always thought there was no need to repeat can't touch this. Who would want to in the first place.

And now it's Hammer time in old Afghanistan. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Moe Howard said:

Feel free. I've given facts as documented. 

 

You noted in your previous post "former slaves". 

I believe I have the facts.:

Forty acres and a mule is part of Special Field Orders No. 15, a wartime order proclaimed by Union General William Tecumseh Sherman on January 16, 1865, during the American Civil War, to allot land to some freed families, in plots of land no larger than 40 acres (16 ha). Sherman later ordered the army to lend mules for the agrarian reform effort. 

Former slaves of the early Reconstruction era were illiterate because their education was discouraged by their

owners. In some places it was even against the law to teach slaves to read and write. Next thing you know they'll

want to vote. 

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Moe Howard said:

Sitting in?!?!

Wait till your wife finds out you've given Malone free reign to convert it to right hand drive and gets it on alternating weekends. 

**. . do Aussies have right hand drive? No matter! What Alicia wants, Alicia gets! 

 . . . . unless it's looking svelte in god awful blue polyester slacks.

And yes, Aussies do drive on the wrong side of the road and not the right (and as in both the definition of the word "correct" and in the context of "direction") side of the road as we good red-blooded Americans and most all of the countries of the world do.

(...it's sort of the very same carryover kind'a thing they also do with that superfluous letter 'u' they still needlessly spell certain words with that they inherited from, as they call 'em down there, the "pommies")

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

 

I've always thought there was no need to repeat can't touch this. Who would want to in the first place.

And now it's Hammer time in old Afghanistan. 

Yeah, and besides, at least the Taliban has never ripped off a song by Rick James, right?!

(...well, as far as I know, anyway)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dargo said:

Yeah, and besides, at least the Taliban has never ripped off a song by Rick James, right?!

(...well, as far as I know, anyway)

I love that song. Super freaky. No, I don't think they have ripped off Rick James, at least I hope

not. And the Taliban is not the kind of group you read about in new wave magazines.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Vautrin said:

I love that song. Super freaky. No, I don't think they have ripped off Rick James, at least I hope

not. And the Taliban is not the kind of group you read about in new wave magazines.

Uh-huh, and thus perhaps offering up a good argument that there might be SOME religious fanatics/anti-modernists/regressive SOBs in this world that have at least ONE positive or redeeming trait to their character.

(...but like I was sayin' about Alicia here...hint, hint...again...)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That's interesting info. Thank you, it gives me something to look into beyond Wiki. 

Regardless of what Sherman wished, the actual policy on these leases was to be administered through the Freedman's Bureau,.

1 hour ago, Vautrin said:

Former slaves of the early Reconstruction era were illiterate....

Obviously, so what you're saying is adequate time to seek an appropriate education had yet to occur. I'm just wondering when personal responsibility kicks in here. If at all. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Dargo said:

(...but like I was sayin' about Alicia here...hint, hint...again...)

She looks fantastic on the George Segal SUTS deal tonight. 

I've got Virginia Wolf DVR'd, I'll be watching that after a couple more beverages. Got to get in the mood. 

Right now, Fun With Dick and Jane is on. Alway's liked Jane Fonda in this one. The scene where they rob Tower Records on Sunset. Used to buy LPs and cassettes there. 

Earlier King Rat was on. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Moe Howard said:

She looks fantastic on the George Segal SUTS deal tonight. 

I've got Virginia Wolf DVR'd, I'll be watching that after a couple more beverages. Got to get in the mood. 

Right now, Fun With Dick and Jane is on. Alway's liked Jane Fonda in this one. The scene where they rob Tower Records on Sunset. Used to buy LPs and cassettes there. 

Earlier King Rat was on. 

Funny, but the other day while reading fellow board member Leighcat's story about the interaction they once had with Ben Mankiewicz at the music and video store they said they once worked at and which was about to close its doors for good at the time, if this might have been at the Tower Records shown in this film.

(...they didn't say)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Dargo said:

Uh-huh, and thus perhaps offering up a good argument that there might be SOME religious fanatics/anti-modernists/regressive SOBs in this world that have at least ONE positive or redeeming trait to their character.

(...but like I was sayin' about Alicia here...hint, hint...again...)

Most of these Islamic fundis don't like modern music, so I doubt the Taliban would have much to

do with Rick James or George Clinton. Well, that's their loss. Maybe someone, I won't mention any

names, should look into Alicia's superfreakiness or lack thereof, or iow is she or is she not the kind

of girl one wouldn't bring home to mother. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Moe Howard said:

That's interesting info. Thank you, it gives me something to look into beyond Wiki. 

Regardless of what Sherman wished, the actual policy on these leases was to be administered through the Freedman's Bureau,.

Obviously, so what you're saying is adequate time to seek an appropriate education had yet to occur. I'm just wondering when personal responsibility kicks in here. If at all. 

Yeah, 40 acres and a mule never turned out to be very serious. The slaves never had much of a chance to

obtain an education while enslaved and I imagine it took a while for there to be much organized education

just after abolition. It's a bit difficult to gauge personal responsibility when there is a century of discrimination

to get through.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Funny, but the other day while reading fellow board member Leighcat's story about the interaction they once had with Ben Mankiewicz at the music and video store they said they once worked at and which was about to close its doors for good at the time, if this might have been at the Tower Records shown in this film.

(...they didn't say)

The Tower Video was across the street, shopped there too, but it was smallish.  Blockbuster had a huge multilevel store on Sunset and La Brea that was the goto.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

Most of these Islamic fundis don't like modern music, so I doubt the Taliban would have much to

do with Rick James or George Clinton. Well, that's their loss. Maybe someone, I won't mention any

names, should look into Alicia's superfreakiness or lack thereof, or iow is she or is she not the kind

of girl one wouldn't bring home to mother. 

Oh, I would think most mothers would like Alicia.

She's always come across to me as the nice wholesome sort, and mother do tend to like that sort, ya know.

"Mothers are like that...yeah, they are!"

(...you remember that line from that early-'60s Bayer aspirin for children commercial, I presume)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

It's a bit difficult to gauge personal responsibility when there is a century of discrimination

to get through.

Is it really. I mean you either are or you aren't, and the inevitable outcome of abolition was personal responsibility. One of the most interesting outcomes of the Freedman's Bureau are the records from slaves who lamented being "free" and personally responsible. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Moe Howard said:

Is it really. I mean you either are or you aren't, and the inevitable outcome of abolition was personal responsibility. 

But isn't expecting "personal responsibilty" racist now? That's what seems to be the mantra these days.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Moe Howard said:

Is it really. I mean you either are or you aren't, and the inevitable outcome of abolition was personal responsibility. One of the most interesting outcomes of the Freedman's Bureau are the records from slaves who lamented being "free" and personally responsible. 

Personal responsibility only goes so far in a society that was erecting walls and barriers to keep you from

acting on your personal responsibility. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Vautrin said:

Personal responsibility only goes so far in a society that was erecting walls and barriers to keep you from

acting on your personal responsibility. 

Yes, we all have challenges in life to overcome. Some have drive, some don't.

Alicia Malone no doubt had her own set of barriers to overcome in life and she had the perseverance to work around them to achieve her goal of working at TCM. Who know's maybe she has her sights set on other things and TCM is just a stepping stone, a place to learn from to prepare her for some future goal. 

This process isn't unique to Alicia. People of all stripes from all over the globe did the same thing and thousands are as I type this.

MV5BMzgwMmU4ODQtOWFiZi00ZTQ4LWE5NjMtMzI1

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

© 2022 Turner Classic Movies Inc. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...