Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Classic movie lines you use in everyday conversations?

"The horror, the horror!"   Col Kurtz's last words in Apocalypse Now.

"If you stop telling lies about me, I'll stop telling the truth about you."   Wendell Corey to Walter Huston in The Furies.

"Pull up a bed and make yourself at home."   William Holden to Nancy Olson in Force of Arms.

"What's the matter?  You look unhappier than usual."   Zoey in Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist.

4 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

My asterisk is a bit rusty.  Just what IS it you say every once in a while?  ;) 

Sepiatone

The first part is mother, the second part is not. I was watching CNN last night and they put the

right number of asterisks in some cuss words that came up during the testimony of one of the

capital cops. 

I don't know enough about music to judge Clapton's skill as a guitar player, but he is a pretty

decent songwriter. 

I do not often have an opportunity to use this in normal conversation but my fuzzy knows well what I mean when I mutter the first part of it.

I am quite sorry to say that I do not know which movie it is in. I am virtually positive that it was in one of my fuzzy's DVDs when I was watching his entire collection but that is over twelve hundred movies and I can not narrow it down very much more than that.

"If they can make penicillin out of moldy bread then there must be something we can do with you."

• Like 1
1 hour ago, SansFin said:

I do not often have an opportunity to use this in normal conversation but my fuzzy knows well what I mean when I mutter the first part of it.

I am quite sorry to say that I do not know which movie it is in. I am virtually positive that it was in one of my fuzzy's DVDs when I was watching his entire collection but that is over twelve hundred movies and I can not narrow it down very much more than that.

"If they can make penicillin out of moldy bread then there must be something we can do with you."

All sources I can find Sans, say this aphorism (although ending instead with, "then they can sure make something out of you") has been attributed to Muhammad Ali.

• Thanks 2
18 hours ago, Vautrin said:

The first part is mother, the second part is not. I was watching CNN last night and they put the

right number of asterisks in some cuss words that came up during the testimony of one of the

capital cops. 

I don't know enough about music to judge Clapton's skill as a guitar player, but he is a pretty

decent songwriter. 

1.  OK.  Gotcha.

2.  Clapton is a very skillful guitar player.  But like any musician, has his own style which some might not care for.  As a British blues player, I think he's OK, but I always preferred MICK TAYLOR.    

Sepiatone

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Vautrin said:

decent songwriter. 

Clapton helped Harrison become a better guitar player and Harrison helped Clapton become a better songwriter. 

At the end of the day,  Clapton got the better end of this partnership! 

Anytime I hear someone say the name Abby I can't stop myself from using the classic Marty Feldman line from Young Frankenstein-  "Abby... Normal?"  Drives Bride of Ed up the wall because she loves watching the series NCIS which had a forensic scientist named Abby something....Abby Normal? Yeah it never gets old for me. She on the other hand😏

Other lines I whip out any chance I get;

I never drive faster than I can see- Big Trouble in Little China

She turned me into a newt!- Monty Python and the Holy Grail

I **** in your general direction- Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Have you ever made it with a blonde waitress?- Murder by Death

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

1.  OK.  Gotcha.

2.  Clapton is a very skillful guitar player.  But like any musician, has his own style which some might not care for.  As a British blues player, I think he's OK, but I always preferred MICK TAYLOR.    

Sepiatone

I never followed Mick Taylor's career after he left the Rolling Stones, but I've read he is quite talented.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Clapton helped Harrison become a better guitar player and Harrison helped Clapton become a better songwriter. 

At the end of the day,  Clapton got the better end of this partnership! 

I would say so. I don't know if Harrison taught Clapton a lot about songwriting unless Clapton himself

says he did. Didn't Clapton play the solo in While My Guitar Gently Weeps? From what I've read, Harrison

was a little better than average musician but he worked very hard to get the best out of what he had, while

McCartney was a natural talent who didn't have to work as hard at it. 

• Like 1

"Whaddya Hear? Whaddya Say?"

The slums may have left their mark on Angels With Dirty Faces' Rocky Sullivan but that sawed off little runt certainly left his mark on me. Just the other day I was talkin' to a mug and I started hitching my shoulders. When he asked me if I had an affliction I told him "SHADDUP!"

Unfortunately at that moment reality kicked in with the mug knocking me to my knees. "Who do ya thinks you are, some movie tough guy?" he snarls before walkin' away.

Angels with Dirty Faces (1938) on Make a GIF

• Like 3
19 hours ago, Vautrin said:

I never followed Mick Taylor's career after he left the Rolling Stones, but I've read he is quite talented.

I've been a fan of Taylor's before he joined the Stones.  Was with John Mayall before that.  Again....

Sepiatone

• Like 1
On 7/30/2021 at 11:46 PM, Aritosthenes said:

"Fergie.. ...Your GLOWING "

I may have described someone's singing voice as a cross between Fergie and Jesus on more than one occasion.

• Haha 1

Before a social (or work) situation that's bound to have controversy/conflict:

"Fasten your seatbelts, it's going to be a bumpy night!", Bette Davis as Margo Channing in "All About Eve". 

Anticipating a scary situation:

"You're gonna need a bigger boat", Roy Schneider as Chief Brody in "Jaws"

Actually, I can't stand this movie line but it was very popular and widely used:

"Love means never having to say you're sorry", Ali McGraw as Jennifer from "Love Story".

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Toto said:

Actually, I can't stand this movie line but it was very popular and widely used:

"Love means never having to say you're sorry"

You probably know this already, but in What's Up, Doc? two years later, Barbra Streisand says this same line to Ryan O'Neal and bats her eyes at him in a deliberately exaggerated way. To which he immediately responds, "that's the dumbest thing I ever heard."  So O'Neal himself was certainly aware of how corny the line is (as was Peter Bogdanovich).  🙂

• Like 2
8 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

I may have described someone's singing voice as a cross between Fergie and Jesus on more than one occasion.

Not a reference to London Bridge Tunster of which i speak. 

(HoneyMoon Machine & (Crazy) Fergie Howard...)

On 7/31/2021 at 12:55 PM, spauldingd said:

“Leave the gun, take the cannoli.”

Ok, maybe I shoe-horn that in when not exactly appropriate, but still, it’s a favorite of mine.

Actually, a favorite of mine from that movie is.....

"I want my brother coming out of that toilet with more than his d*ck in his hand!" ;) 

But then too, I never had an appropriate occasion  in which I could use it.  B)

Sepiatone

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, sewhite2000 said:

Yeah, I got it, but the name triggered that memory in me.

Got it.

While Not AtAll saying this WAS the Case..     Apologies if that sounded snotty. Wasnt meant to be.

• Like 1

And it's become so common in parlance, you don't even have to SAY what "a Ruthless People moment" is before everyone knows what you're talking about:

hqdefault.jpg

• Confused 1

Holden:
The tortoise lays on its back, its belly baking in the hot sun, beating its legs trying to turn itself over but it can't. Not without your help. But you're not helping.

Leon:
WHAT DO YOU MEAN, I'M NOT HELPING?

Holden:
I mean you're not helping! Why is that, Leon?

• Like 2

"It's merely a ceremonial glass" - The Cremator, Kopfrkingl drinks heavily but puts on a false image of abstinance. He says this whenever queationed as why he is drinking at all.