Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Classic movie lines you use in everyday conversations?

It occurred to me tonight whenever I hear somebody say they're "wiliing", "wanting" or "waiting" to do something, I automatically speak out loud Stanley Holloway's line from My Fair Lady: "I'm WILLIN' to tell ya, I'm WANTIN' to tell ya, I'm WAITIN' to tell ya", although I never actually say this in front of other people, only to myself.

• Like 3

"Well, it's early yet." 

-Groucho Marx, while looking down at his watch, in A Day at the Races

(...and yes, I say this to people who tell me that something I've just said to them has made them feel as if they've never been so insulted in their lives...and yes, while looking down at MY watch too!)

;)

• Haha 1

So long and thanks for all the fish- 

Hitchhikers Guide to the Universe. Said by the dolphins as they swim up to their spaceship prior to Earth's impending destruction.

I use this quite often at work when my buddy Jeff the engineer gives me a project with a ridiculously short timeline.

[Shall we say _______?] (i.e. "pistols at dawn")

"Well, we can say it. I don't know what it means, but we can say it."

Sometimes I will re-pose a person's question in the correct form, just so I can answer that way.

Woody Allen - Love and Death

• Haha 2

At least two from the great Bette Davis,  both of which have already been mentioned here, but since they're two of the best lines anyone could say,  and since you could actually say these lines in certain situations in real life,  I'm posting them anyway.    Good lines like this can be mentioned on a thread like this more than once.

"What a dump."

"Fasten your seatbelts,  it's going to be a bumpy night."

What fun lines to say.

• Like 2

" I am big.  It's the pictures that got small."    ( can't really use this in real life,  but such a great and famous line.)

Now this one you can definitely use, constantly:   "Baby,  I don't care".

• Like 2

Always loved this line  from "Manhattan":

Yale:   "We're just people,  we're just human beings, you know.....you think you're God."

Isaac:  "Well,  I gotta model myself after someone."

• Like 1

"I need dough,  and plenty of it."

Now this line is not only one of my absolute favourites,  it's one that applies to my life. Hey,  most people could use this one in real life.

from "Treasure of Sierra Madre".

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

"I need dough,  and plenty of it."

Now this line is not only one of my absolute favourites,  it's one that applies to my life. Hey,  most people could use this one in real life.

from "Treasure of Sierra Madre".

LOL it's my mantra, everyday, LOL

• Like 1

Since, for some reason the topic of music and musicians has come up on this thread,  I'd like to combine the two topics, just on this one post:  memorable lines,  and musicians.  Apparently John Lennon did not want to be bothered to tune his own guitars,  and when asked about it once, he said "That's what other people are for."   I don't know if this is true or apocryphal , but it made me laugh when I heard it.

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

At least two from the great Bette Davis,  both of which have already been mentioned here, but since they're two of the best lines anyone could say,  and since you could actually say these lines in certain situations in real life,  I'm posting them anyway.    Good lines like this can be mentioned on a thread like this more than once.

"What a dump."

What fun lines to say.

Adding" It's where the elite, meet". I've used all three of these lines from All About Eve for years and years.

• Like 2

I actually will occasionally say the following lines to a bartender or a server when they first ask me what I'd like to drink. Yep, I really do, and if my wife happens to be with me at the time, she'll usually roll her eyes at it:

"I'll have a flaming rum punch. No, no, it's not nearly cold enough for that. Ah, I've got it! Mulled wine, heavy on the cinnamon and light on the cloves. Now be off with you lad (or lass as the case may be) and be lively!"

(...this of course never fails to elicit the most confused expressions upon their faces, and so I then enlighten them to the fact that the angel character Clarence in the movie It's a Wonderful Life says this at one point in the film, and I then just order my usual dirty martini or a glass of Hefeweizen)

• Haha 2

Y'know, if I was a drinking man, and wasted time and money in bars, I'd use that too.  ;) 

One small bit of line I use in reference to me or others is(and name that flick) "I"  or "You"..."Should nip along smartly......."  

Sepiatone

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

Y'know, if I was a drinking man, and wasted time and money in bars, I'd use that too.  ;) 

One small bit of line I use in reference to me or others is(and name that flick) "I"  or "You"..."Should nip along smartly......."  

Sepiatone

Hmmm...I dunno. Good question here, Sepia.

Might it be in the movie Sayonara ???

(...now PLEASE don't ask me to explain THIS one here to ya now TOO ol' buddy, and 'cause the explanation for THIS one would be VERY politically incorrect now days, ya know!!!) 

LOL

• Haha 2
38 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

Sepiatone

Okay, and on a more serious note here...I give up. What movie IS that from anyway?

(...sounds as if it might've been said in some British film...am I close?)

• Like 1
Just now, Sepiatone said:

Now, I know that YOU very well know it's Mrs.  Dilber's line from A CHRISTMAS CAROL('51).  :rolleyes:

Sepiatone

Aaah, yes. The earlier British version of It's a Wonderful Life. ;)

(...I should have known) 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I don't get it.  Who's the "Scrooge" in IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE?  And don't say Mr. Potter, because as Scrooge-like he is, HE'S not visited by any ghost or experiences any redemption of his ways.  And George is never shown or reminded of any past indiscretions or present behavior that would jeopardize his future(or afterlife, if you will).  ;) 

Sepiatone

• Like 1

C'mon now, Sepia! What's with the "confused" emoji here again today? 

Yes, even though the narratives play out in different ways, both these Christmas-themed movies feature the idea of some presence of an afterlife figure who enlightens a person that is extremely troubled and who then becomes joyous about their life.

(...what is it?...haven't had your usual consumption of coffee so far today or somethin'?)  ;)

• Haha 2
23 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

"What a dump."

What fun lines to say.

Absolutely!  Betty Davis quotes are the best.  Here's a quote from Beyond the Forest (a story of a married woman sick of small town life scheming to run off with a rich businessman).  Bette's character is so rotten in this film and she's so good at being bad.  Her character shoots a porcupine out of a tree and she says "I don't like porkys, the irritate me".

• Like 2

Whenever I hear someone "damn" something, I have to say, "too late!"  Marty Feldman to Gene Wilder in Young Frankenstein, answering the line, " Damn your eyes!"

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Toto said:

Absolutely!  Betty Davis quotes are the best.  Here's a quote from Beyond the Forest (a story of a married woman sick of small town life scheming to run off with a rich businessman).  Bette's character is so rotten in this film and she's so good at being bad.  Her character shoots a porcupine out of a tree and she says "I don't like porkys, the irritate me".

Great Bette Davis quotes go all the back to the start of her career;  Here she is in 1932 with the "like to kiss you" line:

• Like 1

OK, in the 1980's I worked with a bartender from Czechoslovakia named (we'll call him) Pavel. Pavel claimed to have learned English by watching American movies and TV shows in his home country, and after he arrived here in the US. His conversational English was 90% lines from movies and TV (especially commercials, but also some classic films).

Examples:

When a busboy would offer to clear dirty glasses from the bar... Pavel: "Everything must go!!!"

Whenever anyone stated an amount of money, Pavel: "Today only. $9.99!!!"

In response to anything you asked him, Pavel: "That's the story, Jerry!!!," like the 70's-80's local NYC TV commercials for E&R Appliances.

One night I heard Pavel yell, "FUMBLE!!!!! (like Don Meredith on Monday Night Football). "I said what's wrong Pavel?" Pavel: "dis voman, she fumble her scarf". A customer had dropped her scarf in front of the bar.

Pavel used movie references frequently. Some of his best? When a co-worker would be abusive... "De cheaper de crook, de gaudier ze patter!!!" (like Bogart in THE MALTESE FALCON)

And "Zot vil be ze day". (Translation "That'll be the day", like John Wayne in THE SEARCHERS).

• Haha 1