Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Classic movie lines you use in everyday conversations?

20 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Great Bette Davis quotes go all the back to the start of her career;  Here she is in 1932 with the "like to kiss you" line:

That is a good line, but tell me JAMES......

I'm dying to know when you've ever had opportunity to use that line in everyday conversations?   You know, the question ASKED by this thread?  ;) 

Sepiatone

17 hours ago, Herman Bricks said:

OK, in the 1980's I worked with a bartender from Czechoslovakia named (we'll call him) Pavel. Pavel claimed to have learned English by watching American movies and TV shows in his home country, and after he arrived here in the US. His conversational English was 90% lines from movies and TV (especially commercials, but also some classic films).

Examples:

When a busboy would offer to clear dirty glasses from the bar... Pavel: "Everything must go!!!"

Whenever anyone stated an amount of money, Pavel: "Today only. $9.99!!!"

In response to anything you asked him, Pavel: "That's the story, Jerry!!!," like the 70's-80's local NYC TV commercials for E&R Appliances.

One night I heard Pavel yell, "FUMBLE!!!!! (like Don Meredith on Monday Night Football). "I said what's wrong Pavel?" Pavel: "dis voman, she fumble her scarf". A customer had dropped her scarf in front of the bar.

Pavel used movie references frequently. Some of his best? When a co-worker would be abusive... "De cheaper de crook, de gaudier ze patter!!!" (like Bogart in THE MALTESE FALCON)

And "Zot vil be ze day". (Translation "That'll be the day", like John Wayne in THE SEARCHERS).

We had a Czech working here back in the '80s too. Heck of a nice guy. Looked identical to the Mickey Rooney young Santa in the Rankin/Bass Santa Claus is Coming to Town. He escaped from Czechoslovakia before the fall of communism but I don't think it was due so much as escaping an oppressive government as it was escaping a batsh*t crazy wife after she stabbed him in the back with a pair of scissors.

He could only speak rudimentary English when he first got here so he'd go to English classes part of the day and work the other part of the day using and learning his new language. One afternoon he came up to one of us, it's been too many years and way too much unsaturated fats in the arteries to recall exactly who the scamp was (😶), and asks how the workday was going.  I the unnamed individual replied, "Ah hell Paul. You know. This job's a real mother******".

Paul squinted as he considered it and started braying laughter (just like Santa Claus in the aforementioned show!). 

He knew both words but it never occurred that they could be combined together like that. From then on everytime he'd see me that person, he'd immediately point and bellow, "Bwaahaahaa mother****** bwaahaahaa!"

Just my our little contribution to making the world a little closer.

• Haha 2

And it's because of This Is Spinal Tap (1984) that I still describe anyone trying to cheaply inflate their public image with patently false credentials as "Putting a cucumber down their pants":

preview.jpg

I have found that every quote I need in day-to-day life can be found in Ghostbusters.

"Back off man, I'm a scientist."

"Maybe I've got a Milk Bone..."

"Yes, have some."

"What about the Twinkie?"

"Everybody has three mortgages these days."

"That was your plan? Get her?"

Actually, almost any line from the move works 🙂

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, overeasy said:

Actually, almost any line from the move works

I've frequently used the line "cats and dogs living together" to indicate things are really screwed up.

Also, I've said "**** happens, and who you gonna call?"

And from the vastly inferior Ghostbusters II, I have on more than one occasion said "Everything you do ... is bad". Oh, and also "Hairless pets ... weird!"

• Like 1