Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Rock Hudson 1959 Movie Car Background

HI - I'm researching a magazine article on the German car manufacturer Horch.  In the 1959 movie "This Earth is Mine" Rock Hudson drives a very rare 1939 Horch 855 Special Roadster.  This car was only 1 of 7 made of this model and Rock's driving it around Napa valley like it's a common Ford.  I'd like to know how the car came to be in the movie and what happened to it after the movie.  It ended up in Rudi Klein's Los Angeles 'foreign car junkyard' which I understand contained many ex-movie cars.  But ultimately it is on long-term loan to the Audi Forum museum in Ingolstadt Germany.  I attached a picture of Rock in the car.

Any references, movie forums, web sites, or other data sources you can provide would be most appreciated.  

Thx in advance,

Steve

Rock_Hudson_Glaser_Bodied_Horch_in_158.jpg

Interesting post.

I found a newspaper article which says that the Roadster used in the film was specially ordered by Hitler for Eva Braun. But the writer claims that car was made in 1933.

Very interesting.  This car is clamed to have been owned by Eva Braun.  There's also a 1938 Mercedes with a similar claim to fame.  1933 is too early though.  Could you post a copy of the newspaper article?  Thanks for tracking this info down!

8 hours ago, AudiCowboy said:

Very interesting.  This car is clamed to have been owned by Eva Braun.  There's also a 1938 Mercedes with a similar claim to fame.  1933 is too early though.  Could you post a copy of the newspaper article?  Thanks for tracking this info down!

From  Oakland (CA) Tribune, June 28, 1959:

VDHASIO.png

• Like 1