Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Portraits - A Companion Gallery

hlywdkjk

The Art Of Advertising

A short-term companion to the Poster Gallery

Over the past several months I've come across images of original (or interesting) artwork of films and film stars created for different uses - like magazine covers, advertising or other promotional materials from the studios. Have a look.

MagArt017b

MagArt017a

Message was edited by: hlywdkjk

*"Very nice, Kyle. Had to be a lot of work tracking down the corresponding magazine cover. Thanks."* - patful

Thanks. Glad you like it.

But I don't want you to get the wrong idea. I didn't have to search out the correlated magazine cover. The two images were posted together. And only a few of the postings in this gallery will have an accompanying published source. Sorry.

Kyle In Hollywood

The Art Of Advertising

Over the past several months I've come across images of original artwork of films and film stars created for different uses - like magazine covers, advertising or other promotional materials from the studios. Other images are the published reproductions. Have a look.

src="http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3526/3933306916_2aa9e7f3b0_o.jpg" width="450" height="630" alt="MagArt023"

/>

> {quote:title=fxreyman wrote:}{quote}

> Hi Kyle,

>

> Would it be okay if I included a drawing I made of the Duke from his 1969 Oscar-winning performance in True Grit?

>

> It is a pencil drawing I did from many years ago just after graduating from college.

Sure!

Kyle In Hollywood

Okay, here goes. I went and found the instructions from Fred on how to download pictures and then resize them. I hope that the image size I selected from that thread will NOT be too large for others to see. Of course it would be nice to see some detail.

Keep your fingers crossed, and hopefully this newly scanned image of the pencil drawing I did of the Duke from his Oscar-winning role in True Grit will come out.

11t2442.jpg

Hey Kyle,

Thank you very much for the nice compliment.

I used to draw like this all the time. I even had a small freelance thing set up and I drew quite a few portraits, from FDR to Teddy Roosevelt to Jimmy Cagney to John Wayne.

But like many things in life, some times something that you love to do falls by the wayside.

I know I have the talent, but now that talent resides deep in my background someplace. And sooner or later it will be rekindled. I do know that much.

Thanks again.

FXReyman

Rey Nowlin

*The "Art" In Advertising*

Over the past several months I've come across images of original artwork of films and film stars created for different uses - like magazine covers, advertising or other promotional materials from the studios. Additional images are the published reproductions. Have a look.

MagArt008

*Janet Gaynor*

Over the past several months I've come across images of original artwork of films and film stars created for different uses - like magazine covers, advertising or other promotional materials from the studios. Additional images are the published reproductions. Have a look.

MagArt001

MagArt014

Over the past several months I've come across images of original artwork of films and film stars created for different uses - like magazine covers, advertising or other promotional materials from the studios. Aditional images are the published reproductions. Have a look.

MagArt019

*Sidney Fox*

MagArt037

Wow fxreyman.. VERY nice drawing. I bet that took a while. Great job.

(if I were to attempt that sort of thing, all you'd get from me would be a stick figure wearing an eyepatch..ha)

I say again... nice work.

PS.... Mr. In Hollywood... really good idea for a thread. Great start. Keep em' coming...

Kyle:

Thank you so much for the beautiful artwork of the beautiful Sidney Fox. She's always been one of my top favorite movie ladies. So pretty, but such a short and often unhappy life.

What's the date of that "Screenland" Magazine?

Please don't hesitate to post any other Sidney Fox artwork, posters or other pictures you may find.

> {quote:title=musicalnovelty wrote:}{quote}

> Kyle:

> Thank you so much for the beautiful artwork of the beautiful Sidney Fox. She's always been one of my top favorite movie ladies. So pretty, but such a short and often unhappy life.

>

> What's the date of that "Screenland" Magazine?

>

> Please don't hesitate to post any other Sidney Fox artwork, posters or other pictures you may find.

Glad you like it.

The date on the cover of the magazine is 1933.

Kyle In Hollywood

MagArt052

*Marlene Dietrich*