Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

New poll shows 78 percent are in favor of stronger voter ID laws

2 hours ago, MovieMadness said:

Georgia removes 100,000 names from voter registration rolls

So each state we can safely assume has as many as Georgia, so 100,000 times 50 states equals 5 million names. California and New York probably have two to three million each. That's almost 7 million bad names on the rolls for voting, and this is proof enough. Illegal voting through absentee ballots, that is why Trump was leading after normal ballots were counted and then overnight the democrats produced all the illegal absentee ballots. Democrats planned this early when they could use Covid as an excuse to expand absentee voting, and thus people were able to vote multiple times for Biden with various names and addresses. Democrats were even caught on voter drives filling out the absentee registrations themselves.

Yep.

7 hours ago, MovieMadness said:

Georgia removes 100,000 names from voter registration rolls

So each state we can safely assume has as many as Georgia, so 100,000 times 50 states equals 5 million names. California and New York probably have two to three million each. That's almost 7 million bad names on the rolls for voting, and this is proof enough. Illegal voting through absentee ballots, that is why Trump was leading after normal ballots were counted and then overnight the democrats produced all the illegal absentee ballots. Democrats planned this early when they could use Covid as an excuse to expand absentee voting, and thus people were able to vote multiple times for Biden with various names and addresses. Democrats were even caught on voter drives filling out the absentee registrations themselves.

WRONG AGAIN!!!  Names are generally removed because the people did NOT vote at all or because they moved.  Has ZIP to do with "illegal voting."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 8/2/2021 at 9:39 AM, ElCid said:

The discussion is not over requiring state approved ID, but how the regulations are used to suppress the vote.  It is difficult for many to obtain a "state approved ID,"  much more so than registering to vote in many cases.

As I noted, the source I cited states that all states require some form of "ID."  NO state just lets you walk in and say I am so and so and then vote.  There are methods to cast provisional votes, but then you have to come back or go to a central office with the necessary documentation.

In S.C. you have to have photo ID to vote which can be a state ID card or driver's license, VA card, military ID.   I used my military ID once and the poll worker wouldn't accept it because it did not have my address on it.  The name matched my name on voter list perfectly, but that was not acceptable to him.  He said he couldn't verify which ward I lived in.  Doesn't matter as all voters  in my town vote for all wards regardless of where they live.  The voting by ward is used solely to determine how many people voted in each ward.  Fortunately for him, another poll worker told him to accept the ID before I went to the poll manager and raised holy heck.  I had used my military ID in previous elections.

Virginia law requires all voters to provide either an acceptable form of ID or sign an ID Confirmation Statement at the polls. Voters arriving at the polls without an acceptable form of ID will be required to either sign an ID Confirmation Statement or vote a provisional ballot.  If a voter votes a provisional ballot, they will have until noon on the Friday following the election to deliver a copy of identification to their locality’s electoral board or sign an ID Confirmation Statement in order for their provisional ballot to be counted. Please see below in Provisional Ballot Process for Voters Who Arrive Without Identification for more information on how the provisional ballot process will work for those arriving to the polls without ID.

So where I live, yes, you can sign a "Trust me! I am who I claim to be!" statement and cast a vote. No proof needed. Generally liars have no problem with lying. 

When I renewed my license the state asked so many questions about voting eligibility I was afraid the state was registering me to vote a second time. Now Virginia automatically registers you to vote when you obtain or renew a driver's license. 

On 8/3/2021 at 11:52 AM, MovieMadness said:

Then why are local Democrats claiming that they will lose thousands of votes because of this? They know the truth.

Because thousands of voters will NOT be registered or will be removed in error or not informed they are being moved for moving, not voting in X number of elections and other administrative reasons.

YOU know the LIES!

• Like 1
23 hours ago, LsDoorMat said:

Virginia law requires all voters to provide either an acceptable form of ID or sign an ID Confirmation Statement at the polls. Voters arriving at the polls without an acceptable form of ID will be required to either sign an ID Confirmation Statement or vote a provisional ballot.  If a voter votes a provisional ballot, they will have until noon on the Friday following the election to deliver a copy of identification to their locality’s electoral board or sign an ID Confirmation Statement in order for their provisional ballot to be counted. Please see below in Provisional Ballot Process for Voters Who Arrive Without Identification for more information on how the provisional ballot process will work for those arriving to the polls without ID.

So where I live, yes, you can sign a "Trust me! I am who I claim to be!" statement and cast a vote. No proof needed. Generally liars have no problem with lying. 

When I renewed my license the state asked so many questions about voting eligibility I was afraid the state was registering me to vote a second time. Now Virginia automatically registers you to vote when you obtain or renew a driver's license. 

From the Law cited.  "Any registered voter who does not possess one of the above mentioned forms of ID, may sign an ID Confirmation Statement."  This means the voter must have already registered to vote under state requirements.  Does NOT mean anybody can walk in and say I want to vote.

It would also be nice to know what the electoral board actually does when a person shows up with a signed statement.  If all a person needed to do was sign a statement, why not just do it at the voting poll location?  Also, the voter must cast the provisional ballot, then complete a statement and deliver that statement to the electoral board within 3 days.

Here again, a process that effectively excludes fraud which would change an elections results.

• Like 1
On 8/3/2021 at 1:32 PM, LsDoorMat said:

Silly for idiot Zoomers to not realize money does not come from an app? I agree absolutely. 

The second part of your post was silly in that it had no reference to the first part.

23 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I agree;   sadly hyper partisans on both sides believe this is THE hot topic in US politics.

Actually the hot topic is voter suppression and this is just one method the Republicans are using.

For the first time since 1970, several states (mostly in the South, but not exclusively) will NOT be required to obtain US DOJ approval of redistricting maps.  I believe all of these states are currently controlled by Republicans.  

In S.C., the state senate and house are already beginning to redraw the maps before they even receive the US Census figures.  Priorities are to protect Republican incumbents and to switch more districts from Democrat to Republican. 

12 minutes ago, ElCid said:

Actually the hot topic is voter suppression and this is just one method the Republicans are using.

Note sure what you mean by "this" as in "this is just one method":      If "this" is stronger voter ID requirements I generally view such requirements as "valid" and don't classify them as voter suppression.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Note sure what you mean by "this" as in "this is just one method":      If "this" is stronger voter ID requirements I generally view such requirements as "valid" and don't classify them as voter suppression.

Excessive requirements for voter ID.  These are particularly used by Republican controlled governments to limit voting by blacks, Hispanics, Asians and other minorities, as well as younger voters.

I have voted many times and never had to prove who I was, so for those who claim it is a trustworthy system >>> I have a golden bridge to sell you with a nice view of San Francisco.

• Haha 1
7 minutes ago, ElCid said:

Excessive requirements for voter ID.  These are particularly used by Republican controlled governments to limit voting by blacks, Hispanics, Asians and other minorities, as well as younger voters.

Well the issue is what is "excessive" or not.        I don't feel a picture ID requirement is "excessive".

41 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Well the issue is what is "excessive" or not.        I don't feel a picture ID requirement is "excessive".

The original post, such as it is, is not about picture ID per se, but about "stronger voter ID laws."   That gets into a whole range of methods the Republicans have used to suppress votes by non-Republican voters.

Here again, Federal regulations applicable to all states would go a long way toward resolving the issue.

11 minutes ago, ElCid said:

The original post, such as it is, is not about picture ID per se, but about "stronger voter ID laws."   That gets into a whole range of methods the Republicans have used to suppress votes by non-Republican voters.

Here again, Federal regulations applicable to all states would go a long way toward resolving the issue.

Here is what I found relevant on the original post:

The phone survey — which was conducted June 8-June 13 with 800 registered voters, 31 percent of whom identify as Democrats, 29 percent as Republicans, and 36 percent as independents — found 80 percent of its participants feel verifying voter ID “is an important security measure,” while 89 percent said that they are in favor of “purging voter rolls” after individuals have died or are no longer registered in previous areas they resided in.

I have to assume a majority of that 80% that feel "verifying voter ID" do not believe doing so is a GOP stunt to suppress voters.

From a political POV I believe leading Dems politicians have cast too wide of a net in terms by implying that any and all "methods" the GOP comes up with are designed just to suppress the voters of non-Republicans.      I.e.  Dems would have gotten more political mileage by targeting only very specific and select "methods".

13 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Here is what I found relevant on the original post:

The phone survey — which was conducted June 8-June 13 with 800 registered voters, 31 percent of whom identify as Democrats, 29 percent as Republicans, and 36 percent as independents — found 80 percent of its participants feel verifying voter ID “is an important security measure,” while 89 percent said that they are in favor of “purging voter rolls” after individuals have died or are no longer registered in previous areas they resided in.

I have to assume a majority of that 80% that feel "verifying voter ID" do not believe doing so is a GOP stunt to suppress voters.

From a political POV I believe leading Dems politicians have cast too wide of a net in terms by implying that any and all "methods" the GOP comes up with are designed just to suppress the voters of non-Republicans.      I.e.  Dems would have gotten more political mileage by targeting only very specific and select "methods".

"80 percent of its participants feel verifying voter ID “is an important security measure,” while 89 percent said that they are in favor of “purging voter rolls” after individuals have died or are no longer registered in previous areas they resided in."  Nobody says that is wrong.  In fact, most (if not all) states currently do that in some fashion.  So, we have it already.  The problem is other means used by GOPers to purge the rolls or to keep non-GOPer voters from voting.

I have been responding to MM's mis-interpretation of the poll.  One problem with surveys of this type is who did them, what were the actual questions they asked and how representative is the pool they used.

As a life-long resident of a Republican controlled state, I can tell you that the legislature and other powers have one goal - to reduce the number of Democrat leaning voters or those who may lean Democratic.   

6 minutes ago, ElCid said:

I have been responding to MM's mis-interpretation of the poll.  One problem with surveys of this type is who did them, what were the actual questions they asked and how representative is the pool they used.

As a life-long resident of a Republican controlled state, I can tell you that the legislature and other powers have one goal - to reduce the number of Democrat leaning voters or those who may lean Democratic.   

Addition:   "80 percent of its participants feel verifying voter ID “is an important security measure,” while 89 percent said that they are in favor of “purging voter rolls” after individuals have died or are no longer registered in previous areas they resided in."  These are reasonable and the vast majority agree with them,  but the problem is the methods used by GOPers to intentionally keep non-Republican voters from voting through excessive voter ID, purging, etc.

There is nothing in the OP regarding whether or not the people polled believed we do not already have sufficient voter ID.    

I believe most, if not all, states currently have methods of verifying voter ID and to purge the rolls.

6 hours ago, ElCid said:

From the Law cited.  "Any registered voter who does not possess one of the above mentioned forms of ID, may sign an ID Confirmation Statement."  This means the voter must have already registered to vote under state requirements.  Does NOT mean anybody can walk in and say I want to vote.

It would also be nice to know what the electoral board actually does when a person shows up with a signed statement.  If all a person needed to do was sign a statement, why not just do it at the voting poll location?  Also, the voter must cast the provisional ballot, then complete a statement and deliver that statement to the electoral board within 3 days.

Here again, a process that effectively excludes fraud which would change an elections results.

Did you read this part of my  comment:

Also note that my state - Virginia - now lets illegals get driver's licenses. You figure out the implications there. 

It won't be my state in a couple of more years when I am done working. Back to Texas I go. 

Will it keep Bogie up nights wondering if I will vote for Cruz in 2024? 

• Sad 1
8 minutes ago, LsDoorMat said:

Also note that my state - Virginia - now lets illegals get driver's licenses. You figure out the implications there. 

What do you think would be "the implications"?     E.g.  illegals are not automatically registered to vote.       Also,  isn't the license labeled that it is only valid for driving and not for other uses (that is what CA did).

Hey,  I don't think illegal immigrants should be getting driver licenses, since,  in the vast majority of cases,  they should be deported.   But I don't see any concern of major voting fraud with automatic registering when one obtains a driver license as long as there are checks to ensure only citizens are automatically registered.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

What do you think would be "the implications"?     E.g.  illegals are not automatically registered to vote.       Also,  isn't the license labeled that it is only valid for driving and not for other uses (that is what CA did).

Hey,  I don't think illegal immigrants should be getting driver licenses, since,  in the vast majority of cases,  they should be deported.   But I don't see any concern of major voting fraud with automatic registering when one obtains a driver license as long as there are checks to ensure only citizens are automatically registered.

Well, we agree on some things. Like illegals deserve deportation and nothing else. I do have sympathy for the kids brought here by their parents, often not realizing they are here illegally until they need documentation of their birth. You can't help being the child of  a scofflaw. 

No, I don't think there is major voting fraud. There was no steal. Joe Biden is the legally  elected president of the United States, just to make it clear where I stand. 

But I don't even like the door being opened to more fraud even if it is not that much. 

2 hours ago, LsDoorMat said:

It won't be my state in a couple of more years when I am done working. Back to Texas I go. 

Bring your own generator and dig a water well when you come back...

• Haha 1
12 hours ago, LsDoorMat said:

As of February, 19 states have voter registration through DMV's/licensing.   VA also permits registering to vote at many other government facilities.

Just getting a drivers license does not mean you are also registered to vote.  You still have to meet the VA Dept. of Elections requirements.

https://www.elections.virginia.gov/registration/how-to-register/