Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What Makes You Put People On Ignore?

Without naming names, what is it about some posters on here that makes you put them on ignore?

There are the ones that are so obsessed by their political views that I can't stand to see what they wrote. It can be either a Right Wing Nut or a Left Wing Moron.

There are ones that think they are funny but usually they are laughing at their own jokes.

There are ones that think they are intelligent and use a lot of big words but they don't seem to understand them.

There are ones that are clearly trolls, and just post gibberish.

Or the chronic complainers (usually newbies who don't stick around) who whine about everything on TCM>

• Like 2

I don't put people on "ignore".  I just ignore them.  Or at least only after a few words it's clear I won't care about what they're posting and so I move on.  

I usually give everyone the benefit of a doubt regardless how seldom it pays off positively.  ;) 

Sepiatone

• Like 3
9 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

I don't put people on "ignore".  I just ignore them.  Or at least only after a few words it's clear I won't care about what they're posting and so I move on.  

I usually give everyone the benefit of a doubt regardless how seldom it pays off positively.  ;) 

Sepiatone

Percentage wise more likely those in the General discussion forum will put people on <ignore> than posters here  because of insatiable curiosity of what one has to say.

I, for one, detest Ignore and Block features. in cyberspace forums. I never use them. Similar to Sepiatone, I just ignore folks who are not worthy of my time and attention.

I cannot help but wonder how people who regularly use Ignore/Block/Cancel features (childish, IMO) function in real life when they encounter people with whom they disagree or people who get on their nerves.

I'm also at an age in life, and at psychological and emotional stages, when I no longer let forum debates/wars bother me. I'm not wasting even precious milliseconds of my life on pointless, endless donnybrooks about -- in most cases, trivialities and nonsense --with people I don't know (and don't care to know) and who have absolutely zero meaning in my life.

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, LuckyDan said:

Actually who would be correct there. 

Hypersensitive and apoplectic reactions about The Grammar Police in 3, 2, 1 . . .

But, not from me. You are absolutely correct, LuckyDan.

I've learned to resist the almost overpowering compulsion to correct someone's grammar, spelling, and syntax. Sometimes grammatical gaffes are committed by folks for whom English is not their native tongue. Being abysmally monolingual myself, I have nothing but awe and the utmost respect for folks who are multilingual. After being humbled by translation applications such as Babelfish and getting tripped up by awkward, sometimes hilarious, and always mortifying results, I have curbed my urge to "arrest criminals" because of their clumsy language.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

There are the ones that are so obsessed by their political views that I can't stand to see what they wrote. It can be either a Right Wing Nut or a Left Wing Moron.

There are ones that think they are funny but usually they are laughing at their own jokes.

There are ones that think they are intelligent and use a lot of big words but they don't seem to understand them.

There are ones that are clearly trolls, and just post gibberish.

Or the chronic complainers (usually newbies who don't stick around) who whine about everything on TCM>

They all sound like me.

• Haha 6
2 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Sepiatone

Good Way to Function and Proceed.

For me its kinda akin to folks who say, after viewing a trailer: "well.. Ive Seen the Whole Movie."

Always get a kick outta that.

I have a very low tolerance for some types of people. It has been said often of me that I 'do not suffer fools gladly'. I place a user on: Ignore when it becomes plain that their comments and stated opinions are tailored to disguise their bias and animosities.

I place on: Ignore also those who are a waste of screen space. This is often due to their not truly wishing to communicate but only to draw attention to themselves by long stretches of incomprehensible text or dependence on emojis or improper formatting which demands nearly an entire page to present two or three lines of text.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Eucalpytus P. Millstone said:

[...] Being abysmally monolingual myself, I have nothing but awe and the utmost respect for folks who are multilingual. [...]

I do hope that you realize that that respect may be sometimes misplaced. I grew up in a multicultural city on the shore of a great sea. I would have had to have been a very backward child to not understand several languages and to not swim well. A person raised in Kansas had neither the opportunity nor social need to know more than English or do more than wade creeks.

• Like 1

I have only used ignore twice, maybe three times, and not for long duration. I DID indeed have a major problem with a person about 10 years ago. He was absolutely infuriating (for those who don't know by now, despite my avatar, I am male). Even now I don't feel ashamed that I would allow a person to shake me up so much, alas, alas. The Ignore Function was too weak. It wasn't enough to blank out the posts as the fact that he posted at all was a distraction of most dire disturbance. Nay, I posted on an Ignore thread, that such paltry restrictions were useless, and only A COMPLETE ERADICATION FROM THE FACE OF THE BOARD (AND THERE HOPEFULLY OF ALL THE EARTH would suffice. :lol: That entity was only here a few weeks and was a thwart irritant to more than just me. Now my old fond eyes no longer look with such contempt on folly of others.  Liar, liar, pants on fire. :lol: But I don't use ignore, it doesn't really work for me.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, SansFin said:

A person raised in Kansas had neither the opportunity nor social need to know more than English or do more than wade creeks.

But when you go to Oz, who needs any of that. ;-----)

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, SansFin said:

I do hope that you realize that that respect may be sometimes misplaced. I grew up in a multicultural city on the shore of a great sea. I would have had to have been a very backward child to not understand several languages and to not swim well. A person raised in Kansas had neither the opportunity nor social need to know more than English or do more than wade creeks.

I too grew up in a multicultural city: Los Angeles.

In high school, I took Spanish. In retrospect, I would have taken Chinese, had it been offered. Donde esta el cuarto de bano? while a useful question only gets you so far* in a world where China is a rising economy and superpower.

A person can grow up in a multicultural environment and not be fluent (intelligently and articulately speak, read, and write) in the languages within that environment.

Again, I give major props to The Multilingual and especially immigrants who have the pluck, determination, and courage to migrate to a foreign country and learn a new language. Such brave souls will not be spanked or scolded for unintentional bad spelling and grammar by me.

* Not to say that where it gets you is not important -- indeed where it gets you is essential!

I wait for exclusive recommendations from Ben. I too don't put folks on ignore, I just mostly

ignore them. The all-American idiocy of some of the wingnuts long ago outweighed their

entertainment value. What the heck, it's only one small website.

1 hour ago, NipkowDisc said:

I doan do that because I'm tolerant.

:D

Except of Muslims, blacks, women in positions of power, immigrants in general, anyone seeking an abortion and Democrats, you mean.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
19 hours ago, SansFin said:

You know, immediately I was reminded of the TONY CURTIS line in CAPTAIN NEWMAN, M.D.;

"In my neighborhood you had to know seven languages in order to stay in business."  ;) or, words to that effect.

Sepiatone

• Like 2

I have over a dozen people on ignore. Many of them have left, but I leave them there just in case. Makes like so much simpler. One can always choose to peek at an individual post. Reasons range from trolls; obnoxious; unintelligent; jerks; political etc.

• Like 1

I've never put anyone on ignore. But I wish I could put some threads on ignore.  I like the Games thread, but there is such a promiscuous need on the part of some posters to create new games, that it's sometimes hard to find the games that I like. 

I understand that there are people who like certain game threads that are boring to me. So the option of putting the threads on ignore would be a big help. I wouldn't have to wade through all the chaff to get to the wheat!

img_5735.jpg?w=408

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

You know, immediately I was reminded of the TONY CURTIS line in CAPTAIN NEWMAN, M.D.;

"In my neighborhood you had to know seven languages in order to stay in business."  ;) or, words to that effect.

Sepiatone

The quote is: "six different languages". It is funny because he has a line in: Operation Petticoat (1959): "I was born and raised in a neighborhood called Noah's Ark. If you didn't travel in pairs, you just didn't travel." The screenwriters must have seen him as a boy-next-door type to give him such lines.

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, SansFin said:

The quote is: "six different languages". It is funny because he has a line in: Operation Petticoat (1959): "I was born and raised in a neighborhood called Noah's Ark. If you didn't travel in pairs, you just didn't travel." The screenwriters must have seen him as a boy-next-door type to give him such lines.

Wouldn't the line of "If you didn't travel in pairs, you just didn't travel."  be to establish that a character was a tough guy?   (verses a boy-next-door type).

I.e. that he lived in a really rough neighborhood?

• Like 1
On 8/1/2021 at 9:30 AM, Det Jim McLeod said:

I actually put a guy just like this on ignore recently, but then found out that I couldn't see any of my own posts.

(...and now for full effect, excuse me while I LOL here)

• Haha 9