Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Calling All Repressed Poetesses . . .

lydecker

I dunno.  I just cracked up when I saw the Overview for Winter Meeting this AM.   I think I get what they mean by "repressed" (wink, wink, nudge, nudge) but you have to look long and hard to find somebody who is both repressed AND a  poetess.  No wonder they made a movie about it!

"A repressed poetess and an embittered war hero help each other cope with their problems."

• Haha 2

42 minutes ago, lydecker said:

I dunno.  I just cracked up when I saw the Overview for Winter Meeting this AM.   I think I get what they mean by "repressed" (wink, wink, nudge, nudge) but you have to look long and hard to find somebody who is both repressed AND a  poetess.  No wonder they made a movie about it!

"A repressed poetess and an embittered war hero help each other cope with their problems."

You show me a repressed poetess and I'll show you someone who is one therapy session away from being a Beat Poetess!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, lydecker said:

It's an awkward modifier..

Is  the person's poetry being repressed or is she actively creating poetry but some other, uh, aspect of herself  is being repressed?

2 minutes ago, HoldenIsHere said:

It's an awkward modifier..

Is  the person's poetry being repressed or is she is actively creating poetry but some other, uh, aspect of herself  is being repressed?

Hard to know.  I'd bet the latter.

Maybe Bette Davis' character is based on Emily Dickinson?  I dunno. 

I reckon in 1885 Miss Dickinson sent a dress off to be drycleaned.  She was not satisfied after paying and receiving her dress back.  So she insisted it be 're-pressed'.  👍

DAMN RIGHT! 

Have a donut everyone → 🍩

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Moe Howard said:

Like, Cat. . I'm digging a like, family resemblance to that way gone Dude Flintstone, ya dig? But THIS Cat, like still has all his toes.

nyVEj05.jpg

Whoa! What's this jazz about missing toes? I don't know what you been smokin', Dad, but like, lay it on me and pass it over here. Last time I looked, my man Freddie had all his dactyls -- like, to the tune of six.

More than six phalanges. Whew! That's a hassle, Man! Too much toejam, Sam! Too much toejam!

The thin slacks man, the beaver cleaver,

sun of night,  my black beret shines down main St.,

I'm split into halves, hear my woopie pie scream in silence.

See my lark spring all the way to here/there,

City streets full of wampoo chin sleeves,

watch for the swinging belt buzzers call a tune,

Do I dare to make a quiche? Make your own, man bone,

Ring Dings, Ding Dongs, all day longe.

peek a boo boo, Ting a ling, ling a ting.

It's over, nfw?

Millicent E. Farquarh (1933~2007)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

Everybody who posted on this thread seems way too hip to respond to my own confusion as to what the hell this is all about, but I will ask anyway.

See the original post regarding the overview by TCM of Winter Meeting (part of today's SUTS for Bette Davis.)

18 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

Everybody who posted on this thread seems way too hip to respond to my own confusion as to what the hell this is all about, but I will ask anyway.

Good question.  You probably won't want to waste too much time pursuing an answer to this, but it can be your mission, should you choose to accept it.  https://moviecollectoroh.com/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/forum-twisted.gif

1 hour ago, Eucalpytus P. Millstone said:

Whoa! What's this jazz about missing toes? I don't know what you been smokin', Dad, but like, lay it on me and pass it over here. Last time I looked, my man Freddie had all his dactyls -- like, to the tune of six.

More than six phalanges. Whew! That's a hassle, Man! Too much toejam, Sam! Too much toejam!

I dig you daddy-o, I hear whatcha layin' down. 6 digits is cool, it's plenty of ponies to get the chariot on down the road man. He loses anymore, and we're stuck with that economy model redhead chick playin wheelman. Man that's nowheresville.

MV5BOTA4ZWQ1N2ItZjUyYS00NDFkLWI1ODEtMDE4

• Like 3

On 8/1/2021 at 2:12 PM, Vautrin said:

The thin slacks man, the beaver cleaver,

sun of night,  my black beret shines down main St.,

I'm split into halves, hear my woopie pie scream in silence.

See my lark spring all the way to here/there,

City streets full of wampoo chin sleeves,

watch for the swinging belt buzzers call a tune,

Do I dare to make a quiche? Make your own, man bone,

Ring Dings, Ding Dongs, all day longe.

peek a boo boo, Ting a ling, ling a ting.

It's over, nfw?

Millicent E. Farquarh (1933~2007)

Ohhhhhhhh, Man! Another Millicent E. Farquarh hipster! I thought I was the only one, Man! Groovy!

And you laid on us her underground classic, Ode to a Hemorrhoid (Greenwich Village 1962). Far out!

You really swing, Tar Heel Daddy!

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings