Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Pls help me see something good in Mankewitz

atlantic101

Please ! If Ben would offer something beyond a google search info regarding movies, maybe staying on subject when talking about a movie and not to talk to us like were children ! Not to mention his crazy forced hand gestures which are distracting . Not to mention the wine crap . 

• Like 1

If you have to ask, you are probably beyond help. That's not a slam, it means that you are unlikely to be persuaded to give up this self-torture. But I still have some advice. Keep you eyes closed when he comes on. Set the TV to Mute. Wait a reasonable amount of time and then slowly open you eyes. If he is still there close your eyes immediately lest you see a hand gesture or Heaven forbid he look to the left. A little therapy might help but there is no guarantee. Before turning on the TV, flood your mind with sweet purifying thoughts. Good luck.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, atlantic101 said:

Please ! If Ben would offer something beyond a google search info regarding movies, maybe staying on subject when talking about a movie and not to talk to us like were children ! Not to mention his crazy forced hand gestures which are distracting . Not to mention the wine crap . 

Okay! HERE'S one!

His deep, resonant and soothing voice is as pleasing to the ears as the sound of a brook as it slowly cascades down a.....

Okay sure, maybe not THAT, but I DO think Ben can be rather witty sometimes and DOES occasionally offer up a little tidbit of info about some old movie that even I (someone who has SO damn much knowledge about classic movies tucked into the deep recesses of this brain of mine that my wife will sometimes tell others that her husband "has a mind full of useless information") didn't know!

Take for instance, the very DAY that I started to warm up to Ben. This was probably ten years ago or so and when there were only TWO hosts on TCM. Yep, just Bob Osborne and Ben.

So anyway, Ben is doing the wraparound for Kubrick's Paths of Glory, and at the end of his outro for this flick he said, "The French Government banned the showing of this movie in France for many years and due to what it said was this film's "denigration of the French Military." And ya know what Ben said NEXT? Well, THEN he said, "You're now free to think of your favorite French Military joke here!"

Now, do you think OSBORNE would've had the balls (although some might say "the bad taste") to say somethin' like that?  NOOOO, of course not!

And so THAT, as I've said, was the very MINUTE I knew TCM had hired themselves a guy to introduce these old movies who had a HEAD on his shoulders, AND was pretty damn balls-y TOO!

(...there, might THIS answer your question here, DUDE?...or dudette as the case may be?)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Gotta say here 

1 hour ago, laffite said:

If you have to ask, you are probably beyond help. That's not a slam, it means that you are unlikely to be persuaded to give up this self-torture. But I still have some advice. Keep you eyes closed when he comes on. Set the TV to Mute. Wait a reasonable amount of time and then slowly open you eyes. If he is still there close your eyes immediately lest you see a hand gesture or Heaven forbid he look to the left. A little therapy might help but there is no guarantee. Before turning on the TV, flood your mind with sweet purifying thoughts. Good luck.

Okay laffite!

WHEN did I give you any permission to "borrow" my "Sigmund Freud" shtick from that "(I can't stand) Alicia Malone" thread that ANOTHER newbie recently posted their dislike of another of TCM's hosts, HUH?!

(...what...do I have to now COPYRIGHT ever damn thing I post around here or somethin'???!!!)

;)

• Haha 3

24 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

We all hate the wine crap. Pretty sure that decision is over Ben's head.

Wine is a great thing to sell. Drink the wine, watch the movies. Worse case the movies seem better or you fall asleep. Considering someone over there thought astrology was a fantastic idea for a theme, be glad they don't sell knitting needles and yarn.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

30 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Alex Trebek and Ben were friends and Ben was on the list of Alex's picks to replace him on Jeopardy. I'd say that's high praise.

And NOW as we take a little side excursion away from the subject of "Ben" here (and because HELL, I just GAVE the OP of this thread a good damn reason to like Ben up there...well, UNLESS they happen to come from FRANCE anyway), so lavender, what did you think of LaVar Burton's stint as guest host of 'Jeopardy!' ?

(...I thought he was very good and wouldn't mind at all seein' him becoming the permanent host of the program)

2 hours ago, atlantic101 said:

Even if menial in contribution and Influence; Ben (Continues to) Helps the existence of Turner Classic Movies.

2 hours ago, Dargo said:

Gotta say here 

Okay laffite!

WHEN did I give you any permission to "borrow" my "Sigmund Freud" shtick from that "(I can't stand) Alicia Malone" thread that ANOTHER newbie recently posted their dislike of another of TCM's hosts, HUH?!

(...what...do I have to now COPYRIGHT ever damn thing I post around here or somethin'???!!!)

;)

Alas, alas ...

I know not of what you speakst. And to my knowledge I never so much as had ever a hungry eye to borrow or steal another's ... shtick. I might plagiarize an entire novel but shtick's are completely off limits, as far as I'm concerned. What, think thou I have no morals? I do confess posting on the Alicia Malone thread but my guess is that what you neglected to copyright came after that. And BTW, let's say---hypothetically of course---that I if I did have the temerity to purloin someone else's, uh, shtick, what possesses you that you might think that you might have exclusive rights to the famous Doc. I am innocent, innocent as a new born babe, so let's just say that great minds think alike.;)

(...I have not as yet deigned to see the reference of which you speak. Should I? Please say no. Contrary to some, I see nothing wrong being ensconced in everlasting ignorance)

;)

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, laffite said:

Alas, alas ...

I know not of what you speakst. And to my knowledge I never so much as had ever a hungry eye to borrow or steal another's ... shtick. I might plagiarize an entire novel but shtick's are completely off limits, as far as I'm concerned. What, think thou I have no morals? I do confess posting on the Alicia Malone thread but my guess is that what you neglected to copyright came after that. And BTW, let's say---hypothetically of course---that I if I did have the temerity to purloin someone else's, uh, shtick, what possesses you that you might think that you might have exclusive rights to the famous Doc. I am innocent, innocent as a new born babe, so let's just say that great minds think alike.;)

(...I have not as yet deigned to see the reference of which you speak. Should I? Please say no. Contrary to some, I see nothing wrong being ensconced in everlasting ignorance)

;)

Au contraire oh learned scribe, but my aforementioned "Sigmund Freud" referenced offering in the Alicia Malone thread was actually the very first reply posted within it. Yep, right there on page-1 and right after the OP began his gripping about the Aussie lass. And heck dude, I even posted a big ol' pic of the guy, Siggy that is, holding his signature cigar in his right hand while looking straight into the camera, AND even made it seem as if the famous shrink was offering up some good mental health advice to the OP of that thread while supplying a phonetically spelled Viennese accent.

And so how you missed that is ANYBODY'S guess!  

(...however and with this being said and other than THIS point, yeah, I guess I have to admit goin' for the ol' "sorry dude, but I think you need to see a shrink in order to get over your troubles here" gambit would most likely fall into the realm of Public Domain, and so please disregard and dismiss in your mind any thoughts of my being perturbed with your earlier posted offering  in this thread, kind sir)  

;)

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Au contraire oh learned scribe, but my aforementioned "Sigmund Freud" referenced offering in the Alicia Malone thread was actually the very first reply posted within it. Yep, right there on page-1 and right after the OP began his gripping about the Aussie lass. And heck dude, I even posted a big ol' pic of the guy, Siggy that is, holding his signature cigar in his right hand while looking straight into the camera, AND even made it seem as if the famous shrink was offering up some good mental health advice to the OP of that thread while supplying a phonetically spelled Viennese accent.

And so how you missed that is ANYBODY'S guess!  

(...however and with this being said and other than THIS point, yeah, I guess I have to admit goin' for the ol' "sorry dude, but I think you need to see a shrink in order to get over your troubles here" gambit would most likely fall into the realm of Public Domain, and so please disregard and dismiss in your mind any thoughts of my being perturbed with your earlier posted offering  in this thread, kind sir)  

;)

Short term memory loss? Or maybe I just wasn't paying attention. No offense. I saw your levity but sometimes in posts like yours there exists the slightest hint that there may be a latent seriousness behind it. Like a sort of irony? Even subconsciously perhaps (to invoke the Doc again). How sneaky we mortals be ... or can be. Not you, no accusation here, but generally among the masses of the orb. And correspondingly, there was a hint of defensive in my reply (as I read it again) though my primary aim was for levity.  But great minds DO think alike. Let's go with that. Blasts and Fogs upon those who cast aspersions on our beloved host and hostesses. Fie on'em. I mean nobody's perfect. If Osgood says it, it must be true.

Let's 'av a drink on't

🍸

• Like 1

In 1991 before TCM existed there was this Turner Classic Host named 'TOBY DICKMAN' and I couldn't see anything good in that arseclown until I bought a magnifying glass and noticed a doctor had removed a tumor the size of a watermelon from his left nostril.  🍉  After that he was ok in my book!  👍.  I stopped wanting to raid the neighbor's garbage cans and throw junk on the street and acted like a cilivized (sic) hooman bein'!  😇

(P.S.  I once knew a guy named 'Redd Herring'; he got pickled and drowned in a vat of brine on his 109th birthday.  'Twas sad).  

'nuff said.   

11 hours ago, Dargo said:

And NOW as we take a little side excursion away from the subject of "Ben" here (and because HELL, I just GAVE the OP of this thread a good damn reason to like Ben up there...well, UNLESS they happen to come from FRANCE anyway), so lavender, what did you think of LaVar Burton's stint as guest host of 'Jeopardy!' ?

(...I thought he was very good and wouldn't mind at all seein' him becoming the permanent host of the program)

Yes, I thought LaVar Burton was very good as guest host. There are still a few more guest hosts in the next few weeks so I'll hold off on an opinion on who I think should be host until they've all had their turn 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The ONLY host I have ever laughed at is Ben, and I mean that in the best way possible!  As great as Robert was, he didn't have Ben's snarky, boomer sense of humor.  I love it.  After all, they ARE only movies at the end of the day.  I know we have a reverence for them, but to occasionally poke a little fun is not a bad idea.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Dargo said:

I thought LeVar was a good guest host too.  But was SHOCKED!(apologies to Claude Rains) to see his relatively young(only 64) self looking more like actor JOE SENECA!  :o

Sepiatone

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings